Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need tips to keeping the home warm and kitties warm

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mirx3, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

A friend of ours has told us she read that snow has been forecast for October and November. whether it is true or not/will even happen or not, is a different story, That being said though... I want to be prepared just incase.

we don't want to use too much gas, but seeing it will be that cold with snow we will be forced to. But I want to be able to keep the warmth in.

But I am really worried about the boys, I know they have fur but surely they will still get cold right? Their litter tray and food bowls are out there. The hall way/stairs is NEVER warm. It doesn't get heated at all and the only radiator in there is at the bottom and it definitely doesn't do what it is supposed to. walking on the tile with your bare feet is actually so cold it makes your feet hurt in the winter.

I don't think this house is insulated properly and with living on a budget, I need any tips you can offer...

2. Temperance

Temperance PetForums Member

We only got central heating 2 years ago so keeping the children warm was tough, my middle son was born on Boxing Day and it was freezing.

We had heavy curtains that we could close to trap heat, wore thick totes socks, lots of layers. We had some fan heaters to heat a room quickly and then kept the doors closed and used a draught excluder. We had a fire in the living room so there was one room that was really warm.

Our hallway was like yours even with carpet it was freezing, the bathroom is downstairs and bathing was torture as it was like bathing in the garden.

I wouldn't worry too much, our rabbits used to do fine outside with a heat pad and plenty of bedding, as long as you have one warm area to keep warm I'm sure the cats will acope with the cold.

3. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I think we are in for a LONG COLD winter this year.

keeping warm in this house is very hard, there are only two rooms that actually stay warm when the heat is on - Living-room and the bathroom.

I will see if I can find some thick curtains to put up.

4. petergettins

petergettins PetForums Senior

I'm not saying your house may be draughty, but try & put in as many draught excluders around the doors as you can. When I was a kid & we didn't have central heating my mum used to make them with long pieces of material all sown into a long sausage shape & filled with any old scraps of material (& old tights I seem to remember her saying), so they can be done for next to nothing. If it comes to it stuff any gaps in windows or doors with newspaper, paper is a great insulator and keeps out draughts really well.
    On the tile floors, can you get a few cheap rugs or mats, just to take the chill off?
    Have you bled the radiator(s) as that may be why they're not heating the house as well as they might, esp the one in the hall?
    To reduce costs though, I would suggest only having the radiators on in the main rooms anyway, whilst the rest of the house may be cold, there's not really any point heating them if no one's in there. The cats will go where it's warmest anyway.
    hth
    Pete

5. thatsafunnylookingcat

thatsafunnylookingcat PetForums Senior

I have this problem every year as mine requires a lot of heat. He has his outdoor run heated with a large glass panel radiator and I used house insulation to make an area as warm as possible. I also use heat lamps, they are very good and you can get them reasonably cheaply from most places that stock poultry equipment, they do give a rather garish red glow though! They are never as cheap as they claim to be to run either, and the bulbs go quite quickly.

Have you seen these? Buy Self Heating Pet Bed at Home Bargains They are very cheap if you can find them or something similar.

They are basically just fabric with a layer of space blanket inside, like the ones thrown around runners at the end of marathons. I made some of my own as buying 5 huge space blankets was about £4! I looked totally bonkers though when I decided to line the cattery curtains with the ones I didn't use on beds. I was crawling inside the curtain between the liner with tape and bits of cut off silver material :D. I have read that they use them to line shelters for feral cats in winter as it reflects the cats own body heat back to them.

One thing I've learnt is that if an area is too warm, such as a radiator that they can lay very close to, they seem to become more reliant on it.

If you keep one room warm, then I don't think it will be too much of a problem for them to venture out to get their food and use the litter. I just looked online and it says cats should be kept in temperatures of over 15 celsius,so as long as you maintain that it should be fine. If they sleep curled up together it will help as well.

6. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

If you have draughty windows it's easy to fix them for the winter with plastic. The kind of stuff that looks like cling film which you tighten up with a hairdryer. Stick it up now and leave it there til spring. Make sure your smoke/CO sensor-alarm is working properly.

Thick curtains are good, and even a blanket pegged up at the door when it's closed of an evening to keep the heat in. I'd put rugs or mats down on cold tile floors for the kitty-feet.

Check the loft insulation is all as it should be. Keeping one room warm and turning off radiators in other rooms can keep costs down. Every time the kettle is boiled the hot water bottle can be topped up a bit... Wooly hats and fingerless gloves worn indoors is the new austerity chic. ;)

7. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I'll make some for the doors in the living room.

We have a thermometer in the house, says its 15c degrees in here right now, no heat has been on today. The cats each have their own beds and I've made blankets to put in their beds. I slept on the sofa last night with a big blanket, Milo slept with me most of the night.

They won't burn themselves on the radiators will they? I've never had them til I moved in this house so no experience with cats and radiators.

8. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

No, they'll be fine.

Love your wooliez logo btw! :)

9. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

They will love the radiators :)
    They will feel the heat and not get too close, they will curl up and sleep near them whenever they can! They would love a radiator bed if you can get one, or even make one :)

10. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Hmm I am curious if I could make one from things around the house.

Project time ;)

11. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I think you probably could make one, maybe using coathangers and a bit of material? It just needs a metal frame which can be bent to hang over a radiator (ie. like 2 coathanger tops?) and then a cover of a soft warm material :cool:

12. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I was thinking coathangers too but would they support the cats weight? plus I have a lot of OH's old clothes that need tossed out, So I will just use those for winter proofing this house.

13. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Thanks! :D

Psygon made it for me :D

14. loftybloke

loftybloke PetForums Junior

We bought this one at the range, and we are going back for another couple this weekend.

Buy Playful Pets Radiator Bed at The Range

The kittens share at the moment, but it wont be long until only one will fit! They are growing so quickly!

15. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

:biggrin: Does he know about this?

16. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

well, He'll find out soon. He knows he can't fit them anymore so has agreed to toss a lot of stuff, but he is like DO NOT touch my football tops :lol: even if they are 15 years old...

17. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

We used to have draught excluders made from old fabric and stuffed with tights too. Growing up we had no central heating and I would wake to ice on the windows, pretty patterns :D We had one gas fire in the entire house and the bathroom was so cold I washed in the kitchen where the cooker had been on earlier.

Even when my parents finally got central heating they only put it on for certain times and in certain rooms so it was still cold in most of the rooms as they still would put the fire on in the living room and turn the rest off. The reasoning was to keep the gas bills down. So, until I was old enough to leave home I slept with a cold nose, got up in a freezing bedroom and bathed in a freezing bathroom. We managed fine.

It's only since everyone got conditioned to having heating everywhere that we expect it. We had rugs on the floors until we got fitted carpets, rugs on top of lino which wasn't the warmest so if you have any carpet offcuts or rugs I would put them down, even on top of other carpets, build up the warm layers. Curtain linings, make sure cracks and gaps are filled. Some people even cover windows with newspaper for warmth which is OK in rooms you aren't using much.

As for the cats, if there is a bed over a warm pipe on the floor it will be used in this house, or against a radiator, or under a bed. Last winter Maisie chose an open cat bed which was against the skirting board but below the radiator. The year before she slept in the drawer of my bed in a cat bed, before that in a covered bed against the landing radiator. They find the place they want to be.

I found the self heating pads with the foil a waste of time and money, they don't really get warm and they make a noise. A hot water bottle is a good thing to have for you or the cats, wrapped in a little blanket or towel.

Move their bowls somewhere warm, they may not want to eat cold food.

18. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I have their pet carrier in the living room without the door on it to help them be comfortable with it, I think I'll put bowls inside it to save space and if they spill it wont get on the carpet and soak it.

Think it is time to find all my fuzzy socks and bring them out, along with sweaters and hoodies, that I can wear around the house.

Will look around see if anyone is giving away rugs or mats I can put down at the bottom of the hall and top of stairs.

I put an old towel folded up in the window so that the cats can lay on it, heat from the radiator comes up well into the window area.

19. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

My house is freezing in the winter too. We dont have central heating just a gas fire that warms the whole of the down stairs.

I have one heater upstairs in the landing but we have 4 bedrooms, alot of rooms to warm so they are always quite cold. My bathroom is absolutely freeeezing in the winter.

We have electric underfloor heating downstairs too, but its just too expensive to have on.

One day we will afford central heating, maybe when the kids have left home :rolleyes:

20. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

OH says when he had his coal fire the house was ALWAYS warm, They convinced him to change because they said it would be cheaper and warmer.... but that wasn't the case. said the only down side to having it was cleaning the fireplace out to light it the next time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice