Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some help with my bunny!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Acacia86, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi everyone, as some of you might know i have my boy Charlie since the end of May. He is a very sweet buy, loves his cuddles! He has always been absolutely fine when i put my hand into his cage. But he has started to go for me. He lives indoors at the moment in an indoor cage he is only shut in there when i not here and overnight. He has plenty of excercise, good food, lots of cuddles etc but when i went to change his tray and put fresh hay and food in there he went for me :( not to hurt me but came forward and grunted. Why has he started doing this? He was fine when i patted him and picked him up for a cuddle so why did he do this?

I have never had this before when i used to keep rabbits? (well once but she wasn't a friendly rabbit at all, but he is)

I have attached a pic just to show him off :)

Attached Files:

• bun.jpg
      bun.jpg
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
  2. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Does he need the op :rolleyes:

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Has he been neutered? Sounds like he needs to be if he hasn't

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

One word, hormones! Some bucks are worse than others, sounds like he needs his little op.

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks he is going to the vet soon for his pre-op check. I am hoping he will settle down with this new behaviour after he has been done then!

I just wondered if it was due to that rather than something else. The bucks i had a few years ago never did it! But i guess each bunny is different lol!

6. frags

frags PetForums VIP

jack was like this and it was his hormones, dexter is fine but some days he looks as if he is a little on edge with me in his cage

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks he is definately getting done! Thanks everyone you have put my mind at ease that it is his hormones causing it!

8. BeckyLH

BeckyLH PetForums Junior

Don't worry hun, he just needs the snip ;)

I got Walt when he was 2 and he used to bite my feet and spray me with wee before his deplumming :rolleyes:

9. amber bamber

amber bamber PetForums Newbie

hi sounds like you should try neutering him. sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't. i have two conti giant neutered buck rabbits. one is a big softie [ thats robbie ] but winston is an absolute thug and regulary lunges at me and bit me really hard the other day for just going into his hutch to feed him. good luck:)

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks i did feel silly posting it :eek: but i have never experienced it before with a loving rabbit! Only a little demon lol! I am getting him done simply because i feel he would be much happier without so many hormones coursing through him and not anywhere to expel them! x

11. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

With my boy Charlie he never used to attack me before he was neutered but instead he would try humping my hand everytime I went to pet him or feed him. It all stopped after he was done and he was a very friendly affectionate rabbit.

With George I'm still waiting for his to drop before the big op so not sure how he'll behave with me when its time.

12. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

neutering wont solve this problem although it will help, ur rabbit is being territorial, the best way to help solve this is to not show u are scared of him going for u, if he goes for u say no (some people squirt their rabbits with water instead), pick things out of his cage and feed him very slowly then they tend not to go for u, also rabbits get very disturbed by being cleaned out especially if they are in their cage watching u so avoid doing anything like that with him in their. u should however be able to feed him and stroke him while hes being fed, u might want a gardening glove

hope this is helpful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice