Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some help - Hamster

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by pria, Jul 13, 2009.

1. pria

pria PetForums Newbie

I took in a hamster when he was about 5wks old and although Ive always loved hamsters, Im also stupidly very nervous about being bitten (to the point of almost phobic).

Ratsly (cos he's brown and OH says he looks like a rat:D) is the most adorable little syrian boy ever and doesnt have a nasty bone in his body, but Im just not brave enough to get him hand tame. The most I do is stroke him when he is feeding, or give him some mealworms from the palm of my hand. I try to compensate for the fact that I dont handle him, by spoiling him with lots of other stuff, but Im still not sure this is enough for him. He's such a gentle natured thing that I really think he needs to be with someone who will handle him.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether I should keep him or find him a perfect home where he will get the cuddles he deserves? He's about 5mths now.

[​IMG]

2. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

I was like that when i first got my hammy Bella but the difference is Bella was a baby and had been handled a lot. If you feel you can get over your fear, then keep him and give it a try. If not it may be better to let someone else tame him.
    He looks like a gorgeous hamster, just carry on encouraging him to take treats from your hands, it will soon build his confidence up.
    Good Luck

3. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

He's adorable and yes he does look like little ratty!

I think you should keep him. He sounds like he is being well cared for and still getting lots of attention from you. I am sure he won't bite you but I understand your anxiety.

Good luck!

4. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I was exactly the same when I got my first hamster...she was about 4 months old before I plucked up the courage to get her out of her cage and handle her properly. You could try using a pair of gloves to hold your hammie for the first time. :001_tt2:

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Where are you,just wondering if any members lived close and could show you how to handle him and help you to tame him. Also if there is a good breeder near to you a lot of them offer a taming service,you will probably have to pay for it but I don't think it will be too expensive.

6. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Aww he is adorable.
    Although I've had many Syrian hamsters, I still cringe if I think about being bit by one.
    I've only been bitten once by a hamster and that was about 10 years ago.

I hope you are able to keep him.
    As cherrie b said, you could try using a pair of gloves first.

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on here about how to tame a hamster, but I can't find it.

7. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I've been bitten hard by one of mine, Eva, she got me good twice in the early days. But once she tamed she's been great. I think it's all about learning hamster bodylanguage and then it's very easy to predict long before they bite that they aren't in a mood to be handled. I think you have to get bit a few time first though, it's a learning process and the cost is a bit of your flesh and blood. :D

8. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i used to do this for children teaching them how to handle them and taming it for them first. didnt realsise i could have charged them. Damn!!!!!

9. pria

pria PetForums Newbie

Ooooh I just had a great idea.....someone could borrow him, get him nice and hand tame and then give him back! ;):D

I really dont want to give him up, but I cant stop this irrational fear! Ive had many hamsters in the past, but my sis always lived close by and got them really tame for me (even then though I was always nervous). She now lives 3 hours drive from me so not feasable for her to help. She did get him out when she was here for a visit (his first time out) and he did gently nip her finger, but it was more of a mistake than anything else, as she was feeding him and ran out of food. She swears it was very gentle and didnt hurt, but it did draw the tiniest bit of blood and that was enough to put the fear of God into me!

I feel totally stupid about this. Ive worked in animal welfare for years and been up against feral cats, vicious dogs, injured wildlife and never batted an eyelid, yet one sweet little hamster and Im quaking in my boots!

I just cant stop feeling guilty about not handling him. He loves to come out of his cage, but Im so worried that he will need picking up at some point, that now he only ever gets to go in his ball and thats only cos I hold it up against the cage opening.

Reading his body language, he seems to be reasonably content and very rarely shows any signs of being irritable......apart from when the hoover wakes him during the day, then he might chatter his teeth, until I open the cage and give him a dried mealworm, but he does chew an awful lot on the bars, which I thought was a sign of boredom.

If anyone thinks they could offer him a really loving home and handle him regularly and spoil him, then I would let him go (of course I would require regular updates). Im based in Diss, Sth Norfolk.

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would pm u-look-like-a-hamster, she will be able to help you,she's a hamster taming expert.

11. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

If he's feeding from your hand and letting you stroke him whilst eating he sounds pretty tame already. Try picking him up with a towel, therefore if he bites it wont hurt, then just leave him on your lap, they only generally bite when you are in their territory so if he already lets you in his territory then you should be fine. It just takes time hun and to me it looks like you already are on your way to a tame hamster. Although this method is not generally recomended, pick him up with gloves on if you are that worried, then the bite wont hurt. Although dont do this often because he will get used to the scent of the gloves and not your hands. Id try the twoel method and then whilst he is in the towel you can stroke him and coo to him. Speak to him :) Fingers crossed for you.
    xxx

12. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

As Gobaith said, speak to him.
    I speak to my hamsters all the time to get used to my voice.
    My tamer hamster, though I'm sure she'd bite if she wanted to, actually licks my finger if I put it through the bars of her cage.
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice