Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some help, before I have to look for a new home for this cat :(

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Tzabcan, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Tzabcan

Tzabcan PetForums Junior

So I adopted a cat from Athens in February this year. He had been a street cat and abused - was kicked in the face etc, needed his eye removed amongst other things. He's about a year old now. Given that he's not scared of people at all, and loves everyone. The issue is with my other cat, she's quite a shy and nervous cat, the total opposite of him.

I started off keeping him in a separate room, and then slowly lifted the curtain so they could see each other, and also started feeding both of them on opposite sides of the door. Never had any issues there.

I've tried to introduce them countless times, but it just turns into him stalking her, chasing her, jumping on her, pinning her to the floor, biting her, walking round her in circles and swiping at her etc. And obviously she doesn't like it and tries to run away and hide, starts to become really vocal and agitated/panicked.

There have been times where they've come face and face, and she has been quite happy to walk up to him and sniff his nose etc. But then he just ruins it again by pouncing on her/chasing her/biting/hitting her.

I no longer let him in my bedroom, as that's her safe space - where she eats, sleeps, litter tray. But for the past 4 months or so, I just have them mainly separate, when she's asleep, I have him roaming the house or free to roam where he wants as it were. And when she wakes up, I'll keep him downstairs, and then at night I put him in his room so she can go wherever she wants.

It's becoming a bit of a chore having to police what areas they can be in. And I don't know how to get him to calm down around her.

2. Annealise

Annealise PetForums Member

It sounds as if the newcomer is ‘ruling the roost’. I only have just the one cat and no experience of this. I hope someone can offer you some help on here as it must be a difficult situation for you and your female cat.

KoolK and Tzabcan like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Tzabcan - I assume your adopted street cat is neutered is he?

He sounds very territorial - some cats who have been strays (or street cats) can be very territorial when they are given a home with humans - they do not want to share their home and their humans with another cat. We have found this with some of the street cats we have taken in at the Shelter where I volunteer, and we have had to re-home them as an "only" cat.

I am afraid I doubt your newcomer being wiling to treat your resident cat with the respect she deserves, and as long as you keep the new cat you may fine you have to keep the 2 cats separate all the time - as you have been doing. They just do not sound like a good match for living together in harmony. Sorry. :(

KoolK and Tzabcan like this.
  4. Tzabcan

Tzabcan PetForums Junior

Yeah, he is neutered.

To be honest, I'm not sure if he's territorial, because he rarely shows signs of being defensive. It's more of a case he wants to play a lot and roughly - he plays in a very rough manner even with me. When I play with him, it's very easy for him to get over excited and go a bit nuts. I also think where I've kept them separate and don't let them interact much, the times I do try and introduce them, he again gets super excited and goes over the top, and it's a bit of a clash between the two personalities at present.

I think I'm going to enlist the help of a cat behaviourist. This lady, as she lives near me and has all the qualifications: https://www.lucyhoile.co.uk/about-lucy

KoolK likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Bringing in a cat behaviourist sounds like a very good idea! I hope it will help. :)

KoolK likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice