UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Throw all the insides away, forget making pumpkin soup...google pumpkin stencils...job done...
:)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Don't panic the joy of pumpkins are that even if you make mistakes they just look more crazy!

Try and cut the top of at a slight angle and it fits better as a lid.

·
Registered
965 Posts
All the stringy goop and seeds can go. If you are carving you will have a job making soup/pie etc from the pumpkin as the hard fleshy part is the edible bit but is hard to separate from the leathery skin without damage (also most carving pumpkins are not grown for taste).

For carving a sharp thin blade is best, I draw a design on paper, stick it on the pumpkin and mark it with pin pricks before carving. Make sure your lid cuts taper in to avoid the lid falling in on the pumpkin.

As for pie most yanks used tinned pumpkin pie filling (all the ones I know say it tastes better) and sainsbury's have stocked it before.

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
If I were you, I'd wait until next week and then steal one of the neighbours lanterns!

It'll be a bit of a treat for you and a bit of a trick for them :yesnod:

·
Registered
965 Posts
You carve from the outside in (that's why you need a long thin blade). I find a pumpkin once cut lasts a few days (by 5 it would look very sad) so this may need to be a trial run - or cut this one up and use the flesh for pie and then start again for Halloween.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I made pumpkin pie last year for the first and last time..

I cant see (or should that be taste) what all the fuss is about..Id much rather have a nice bit of apple pie or fruit crumble or fruit cake or rice pudding or...well just about anything.

The lantern I made from the shell looked nice though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.