Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some grooming advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Miri, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Miri

Miri PetForums Senior

Any suggestions as to what to do when a cat hates her rear end (tail included) being groomed?

Rin's a gorgeous domestic longhair with thick, supersoft fluffy fur and a magnificent bushy tail, and I try to groom her daily, but it gets a bit tricky when she tries to chew through my hand when I brush her nether regions. Can't say I blame her, I know a lot of cats hate their hindparts being touched.

I'm as gentle and careful as possible, and talk to her in a soothing, reassuring tone of voice while I'm doing it, but it doesn't help much.

The brush I use is this one, as recommended by a friend, only in medium rather than small:
    Mikki Grooming Ball Pin Slicker

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Ok, for a start, change your slicker. Ball pins pull out dead undercoat which some cats just will not tolerate. Try and get a slicker without the balls on the end, or just use a greyhound comb.

I'm going to condense my normal advice, so please tell me if it's unclear anywhere.

Firstly, buy some new treats. Something she really likes. Then make a resolve that she only ever gets that treat while being groomed. I presume she's all right with the rest of the body, so teach her that, for every few strokes of the brush there, she gets a treat. Then progress that so that you're using the brush on her tail and trousers. Initially, give her a treat with every stroke, then work it up to every few, and so on. If she attacks, tell her no, just as you would with any other unwanted behaviour. I've found that, when getting them used to grooming, I use a very gentle, baby talk sort of approach while they're being good, then snap out a very sharp "No!" when they try to bite, only to go straight back to the oh what a good cat you are stuff as soon as they stop trying to savage my body parts for their own vindictive pleasure. The contrast with noise seems to work very well, or at least, it does for me.

When you're not grooming, ger her used to the idea that you're allowed to handle her bum and tail, again, giving her a treat every time she lets you touch or move the tail without a fuss.

Tails are always a touchy subject. Even my very well behaved show cats will occasionally kick up a right stinking fuss when I try to do the tail, and they've got no excuse!

Miri likes this.
  3. Miri

Miri PetForums Senior

Thanks very much for your advice, Carly - I shall try it and let you know how we get on. Is there a brush that you would recommend?

Rin loves getting treats and generally responds well to baby-talk and praise, but grooming might become, erm, entertaining with the addition of treats! Rin responds to treats as though they were a mouse. She scoops them up in her paw, tosses them in the air, bats them around the room, pounces on them and eventually eats them when she's chased them round the room several times!!

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

tha tcase, buy the chew sticks that you can old tight in your hand so that she can'trun off with them.

I'm sorry. This is where I fall down. I have a grooming box full of different types of brush, but because I'm blind, I don't actually know who makes 'em, as I don't read the card when I buy 'em. The slicker i use for cats who won't tolerate one like yours is absolutely exaclty the same but the bristles are wire and have no balls on the end at all. i know purrsonal Touch and rystal leardo them, as that's where 've had ie from at shows. The greyhound comb is reasonably standard. I have persians, and we say no more than 10 teeth to the inch to avoid pulling out coat. I'd go with this too seing as she's still a bit stroppy. The softly softly approach is needed before you start really gong for it.

ialso have a newborn baby brush in my kitthat I bought from Boots to get new kittens used to grooming for the first time. The texture is almost exactly like mum's tongue, and most tolerate it well .fshe really is a madam, then perhaps you could use one of these in her cuddling sessions. It's really so gentle she'll hardly even notice it.

5. Miri

Miri PetForums Senior

I like your suggestion of using a newborn baby brush to start with - I think Rin would probably enjoy that. We can pick that up locally tomorrow while we wait for the brush that I've just ordered online to arrive. This looks like the sort of brush you're talking about - similar to ours, but without the ball pins. It has very good reviews, too, so fingers crossed!

I really appreciate your help, as, although our family have had cats for many years, they've all been shorthairs, with the exception of my late mum's special cat, Cambel, and I think she used a comb for him.

Rin didn't take well to a comb, the grooming mitts I tried on her produced a purr but didn't really groom her, and the rubber brush I tried before the ball pin slicker was completely useless for her.

6. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

So sorry for all the typos yesterday! That'll teach me not to read before I send...

They don't normally like combs initially, but you'll find that it's a lot more comfortable for their bums and tails to be combed than it is for them to be slickered.

As well as my slicker, I have a double sided brush which is soft bristles on one side, then wire on the other. The wire bristles are straight, not kinked like the slicker, and are wider spaced apart. They're on an air filled pad, just like a normal human hair brush. This may be the Trixie double sided oval pet brush, but I can't guarantee it. However, for my thickest coated Persian, I normally start with this. It's useless at removing dead hair, but it's gentle on the skin, and absolutely fab for removing tangles. Just another thing to bear in mind.

7. ella

ella PetForums VIP

Like Carly, I have a Persian, and the double sided brush is good. Mine was a mikki from Pets at Home, it's red and black.

I've always struggled with combs, Except around the face/behind the ears. Bibi (in my pic) doesn't like her pantaloons brushed, (she wouldn't let me brush at all to begin with.) I use a rubbery comb/brush a bit like a 'zoom groom' but by Karlie (amazon and search cat brush for long fine hair!) to get her used to the sensation, it doesn't drag at all but doesn't get knots out very easily.

That said, Bibi's hair is so fine it becomes like felt in a day! I have to snip some felty bits out.

Last spring Bibi had an undercarriage trim at the vets under light sedation and it was worth every penny, so I think I'll do it again so she keeps her tummy clear of knots.

Sorry I can't do links easily I'm on my phone!

8. Miri

Miri PetForums Senior

Thanks, Carly and Ella, for the suggestion of the double-sided brush. I remember seeing those as I was browsing through the cat brushes last night, and I'll add one to my collection of grooming equipment.

I picked up a baby brush for Rin today, and she tolerated it rather than seeming hostile, which is a good start. Her brother Riki, however, absolutely loved it, tipping his head back and purring delightedly when I groomed him with it. (Riki's a shorthair!) Rather unexpectedly, the baby brush seems to do a fairly good job with Rin's fur (and as a bonus, it doubles up as a fun toy to bat around, lol!).

Carly, no worries about the typos! :)

Ella, it sounds like you've got your hands full with keeping Bibi groomed! I'm glad that Rin's coat isn't quite that fine (from a grooming perspective) but I imagine Bibi must feel gloriously soft to stroke! :)

I saw the rubber brush you mentioned when I was browsing through Amazon, but since Carly's suggestion of a baby brush and treats seems acceptable to Rin, I think I'll stick with that for now.

9. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

It will seem to do a good job, but it will only detangle surface fur, and won't get deep enough to work all the way through the coat. It's such a good starting point though. Well done you!

10. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

I've got a brush that looks very much like the one on first picture, but without balls at the ends. I bought it at Wilkinson.
    Phoebe will sometimes tolerate it, but mostly she tries to bite it.
    I thought she treats it as a toy and that's why she's attacking it, but maybe she just doesn't understand the grooming.
    Will try the trick with treats!
    She is a shorthair anyway so it isn't much of an issue and her tongue is doing quite a good job :D

11. Agnasia

Agnasia PetForums Junior

Thanks for this thread Miri, I have been having similar issues with our wegie. Just in the sensitive bits, as you've found. I have just tried Lily with the stick treat and the sharp 'no' (I was doing the baby talk but not the contrast when she goes for a bite), the result was so much better and she tolerated the grooming a lot better as well.

I will try the baby brush too and see if that also helps. Thanks so much for the advice Carly and Ella :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice