Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some friendly advice regarding my beardie and his UVB light

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by shezzy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Well my beardies UVB light blew the other day, no idea why cause it's not even old only about 4 months I've had it... so im pretty annoyed about that. Anyways...

Unfortunatly this is an extremly tight month for me and I cannot afford another UVB light for 3 weeks. Soo... I've been taking him out in the sun for about half an hour a day (after half an hour he gets aggitated so I take him back inside). Firstly is this good enough?? Secondly I'm concerened because I live in Scotland the weather goes up and down all the time and what happens if its a rainy day and I don't get the chance to get him out side in the sun??? Will this do him any harm?? This is the only thing im concerned about.

And just incase anyone thinks im one of those irrisponsable owners this is the first time in 2 years ive not been able to afford something for him this is just very bad timing and when I get paid im gonna buy two so I have one spare like what I do with his heat bulbs.

I just need reassurance and his UVB bulb is my first priority so any money I get ill be buying him a new one..

And heres a pic of him outside enjoying the sun :)

P.S hes in a cage because one day I put him outside without anything around him and he got frightened by something and took a nose dive off the rabbit hutch... I caught him though haha :p better safe then sorry i say :)

Attached Files:

2. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

I'm afraid no it's not enough. They need to have around 12 hours of exposure to UV light. How old is he?

I understand that times are tough, but can someone possibly lend you £15-20 so you can buy a new one either today or tomorrow?

Yeah, Beardies natural predators are some types of birds of prey, so what would have spooked him was a bird flying over.

What I would recommend is that you start putting some money away in a pot, maybe a few pounds a week, just to cover yourself a little incase this happens.

What would you do if your beardie needed an emergency appointment at the vets? And that's something that would cost a lot more than £15 - Would he have to wait 3 weeks until you got paid?
    I am pretty sure you would find the money from a family member or friend etc.
    I don't think you are an irresponsible owner at all, if you were you wouldn't be bothered by him not getting UV, I just that you need to be a bit more money wise. Exotic animals are expensive pets, back up funds must always be available.

Hope you get sorted. Keep us informed.

3. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

Hey thank you very much for your reply.

I'm borrowing money off someone straight away and should hopefully get it tomorrow, if the person I can ask will give me the money... figers crossed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice