Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some advice?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by chloe231188, Aug 12, 2009.

1. chloe231188

chloe231188 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and just needed some advice!
    Yesterday i got given a 5 week year old kitten, and i've named her 'poppy' she's very sweet and overally confident and nothing really seems to phase her, she hasn't meowed once, and shes playing with her toys already! a nice little character....however I've got a couple of questions...

firstly... poppy has now weaned off her mother..and is now eating solids quite happily! however ideally i would like to introduce her to cat biscuits, purely because 1) a vet told me that biscuits are generally more healthier for cats, good for there coats and teeth etc etc! and 2) i believe its cheaper!. What i need to know is....is it okay at this young age for poppy to eat cat biscuits?

secondly... i have another 5 month year old kitten called 'mia' shes extremely hyper, playful, friendly and lovely (note: i stay well clear of whiskers..as ive heard it tends to make cats hyper, i'm feeding her Royal Canin Kitten Biscuits, which is what i want to try poppy on) anyway mia everynow and again becomes very fiesty if she comes in contact with other cats...and now we have little poppy, mia has become very aggressive. She's hissing, growling, pouncing on poppy and generally seems very uneasy. she wont let mecuddle her now..i am trying to give mia more affection but she seems to want to be left alone. I don't want mia to feel pushed out..but also want mia to have a friend!

Please give me any advice/suggestions etc!
    Would appreciate it! thanks!

2. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Firstly, a 5 week old kitten should never had been taken from mum in my eyes.! But well done for taking her in and loving her..!!

My cats are like this to each other daily i sometimes fill like they are showing who is boss!!!

As for eating i think it will come with time and a lot of trying!

3. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Dry food isnt healthier! Cats are carnivores and evolved to eat a diet with lots of moisture in it (their prey). Biscuits are the complete opposite, they have about 10% moisture compared to around 75-85% moisture in wet food. They are dehydrating and can cause bladder and kidney problems, they are full of carbohydrates (which cats don't need) and therefore can also cause weight problems. Also, its a complete myth that dry food cleans teeth, in fact it can contribute to dental problems as the shattered debris from the biscuit accumulates around the teeth.

I would stick to a good complete wet food for Poppy and Mia, leave biscuits as an occasional treat. :)

I expect Mia has had her nose put out of joint with the new addition, I would keep Poppy separate from Mia initially, and let them both get used to each other's scents before doing proper face to face intros. :)

4. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

OMG a 5 week old kitten !!!

I have 6 week old kittens that I am fostering and they are still feeding from mum at least 3 times a day.

Is there a reason why you took the kitten so young?

I would say this kitten needs to be supplemented with some kitten milk such as cimicat to ensure it has the correct nutrients it needs.

Also like a previous poster said dry food is not healthier it's just more convienient.

I feed my cats a mixture of dry and wet and they are quite happy and leathy on that.

Mia will be a little annoyed for a couple of days but will get used to it son't worry. Just be very careful as the kitten is so young and will not be able to defend itself.

Hope it all works out.

5. chloe231188

chloe231188 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the very useful advice, I really appreicate it!

I just hope mia becomes less aggressive!

Just to reassure you Cat_Crazy...i stocked up on plenty of kitten milk for little poppy and as a treat i'm giving mia some to!:)

Its quite amazing to see poppy so confident!

Is there anything you guys suggest for me to prevent mia from trying to attack poppy?
    Luckily ive got the next few days off work, so i'm here to sort of 'supervise':)

I'm going to have to keep mia and poppy seperate for at least a week.

Once again thanks!

6. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

My cats arent best friends so I wouldnt worry, but sometimes as a treat for me they cuddle up or lick each other its very sweet, but im sure it will take take, with yours both being young im sure it will all work out, but id keep them separate for a while, especially as Poppy is so young.

Just one question why are vets saying dry is best when so many on here say the complete opposite?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice