Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some advice!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kerrybramble, Jul 26, 2009.

1. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

well my gsd seems to have a problem when she moults! every year she completely drops off- weight wise and she looks like a skeleton! and her hair comes out in handfuls! we have tried everything we can think of to put her weight back on! have any of you experienced this or got any good ideas? we are so worried about her! :confused: :confused:

2. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

bump! really need help with this x

3. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Hi,
    R u sure its not the moult that is making u think she has lost weight?
    Often when shedding they can lose condition so perhaps supplement her diet with some oils "yumega" is meant to be quite good.
    Also I oud be cautious re putting weight on a gsd first they are usually pretty sensitive regarding diet change this may cause diarrhoea. 2nd they often have hip problems and excess weight would not do her any favours.
    People often see a dog that they think is too skinny when actally they are perfect and we are now so used to seeing even slightly overweight dogs as normal that we percieve the fatter dog as healthy!
    You should be able to easily stroke down her side and feel the rib cage (without pressing).
    Ps she isnt the one thats had pups is she.....just they normally lose condition after that period.
    If shee is way too skinny add cooked potatoes, pasta or extra mixer bikkies to her diet. However do it gradually sudden diet change not so good.

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I put one of my collies on the herbs from CSJ called "Come On" as he was a bit skinny and didn't seem to eat as much as the other dog since putting him on these herbs you can see a difference in him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice