Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some advice please!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mia94, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Mia94

Mia94 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!
    I need some advice. I'm going to be moving in with my boyfriend in the summer, and we're both desperate to get a puppy. I've wanted one for years but been living in uni accommodation so couldn't have pets, and we've decided the summer would be a perfect time to get a furry little friend :) I've been researching breeds, we want a small to mid size dog with long hair as I'm allergic to short hair (weird I know). I've got my heart set on a cockapoo, I think it would be the perfect breed for us. I just wanted some advice about leaving him alone through the day. We both work, but my boyfriend is a teacher so he will have the 6 weeks holiday off to look after him at first, and I can take holiday time after if needed. I'd be able to walk him in the morning before work, and other half could take him after work as he's normally home around 4. Can the dog be trained to be left alone through the day? And how do we go about it? I know it's not great to leave a dog alone, but surely there's a way to do it, else hardly anyone would have a dog! Any advice would be appreciated, I'm so excited to meet my new best friend who I've been waiting for for years!

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Technically a Cockerpoo is not a breed, it's a crossbreed. Cocker Spaniels vary quite a lot depending on how they are bred; you have small, very active, working lines, showline dogs that look and act very differently to the working lines and carry much more coat, and pet bred types that also vary a lot in type and temperament and seem to sway towards the larger size. Cross one of those with a Poodle, which of course also come in three different sizes, and unfortunately you don't have a lot of predictability in how the dog will turn out. Most of this cross are first generation crosses, and coat wise you could end up with anything from a short coat which sheds profusely to a more Poodle like wool coat that is high maintenance. Poodle crosses usually matt incredibly easily and will need professional grooming every 4-6 weeks or so (not cheap; it's £35 a pop for my small breed dog....) and daily grooming.

6 weeks is a great amount of time to settle a dog and get it gradually used to being left alone. However, you'd need someone to come in and break the day up for the pup as you can't leave them all day when they are that young.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Any particular reason you want a cockapoo rather than a cocker or a poodle? As Labradrk has said, there's absolutely no guarantee what you'll get coat wise, temperament wise, size wise or anything. And if a cocker would trigger your allergies then chances are a cockerpoo could well do too. In all honesty I think you'd be better off looking at actual breeds rather than mixes.

Lurcherlad and Happy Paws2 like this.
  4. hollyhollytree

hollyhollytree PetForums Newbie

Honestly you just learn to manage! It's great that you have six weeks off to get him settled in, that time will be so valuable.

I work 13 hour shifts 3 days a week and my husband works a regular 9-5 but is often able to come home to let the dog out at lunch. It works really well... but this week my husband is away with work and the dog is going to be at home for 13 hours!

So we get a dog walker in, we have nice neighbours who will let him out in the garden a couple of times a day. You just learn to manage. And if you're working a regular 9-5 you should only need a dog walker once a day which can be as cheap as £7.50 a day.

Cockapoos are lovely. When you say you're allergic to short haired dogs do you mean like dalmations, labs etc. Would you be okay with a normal cocker?

5. winterrose

winterrose PetForums Senior

What about a Havanese or a Tibetan Terrier?
    As much as Spaniel crosses can be lovely, they can also be a lot of work, and not turn out how you want and need them to be - there isn't much certainty.

6. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

having a dog now is considered a luxury, insurance, vet fees, worming, flea treatment, ear cleaners, good food, toys, walks, day care and dog walkers etc, for a breed you could spend over £100 a month on vets, if your not insured, for example a injury can go into the thousands, simple diarrhoea £100s. Then there is work, I work flexible from home and my husband shifts, its simply not fair to leave young dogs for longer than 4 hours, most rescues will not give you a dog if you both work full time. I have 3 dogs and when one is sick going to work is awful, thankfully my employer has dogs and understands. Look at rescue dogs, dogs trust, cocker poos need a lot of mental stimulation and exercise, do your research on breeders and health conditions. I was in the vet yesterday and a lovely pug needs weekly injections and tablets, King Charles spaniels are know for heart problems, Labradors hips and elbows, jack russells hips. If you have a puppy leaving them is not really wise, you would need dog day care or a dog walker, puppies need play and company, young dogs get separation anxiety as a result of not being trained to being on there own. Puppies sleep, after sleep then need the toilet, they need a lot of training, if your both at work this would be hard for you both, even if you got the dog during school holidays. Good luck I love having my dogs, and they are a huge part of our family, they are a joy, lovely walks and holidays. I hope you both find your companion

7. Belle87

Belle87 PetForums Newbie

Hi Mia94,

I was exactly the same as you, wanted a dog for years but had to wait then we bit the bullet and got a Shih Tzu pup. Me and my husband both work long hours in the summer but are lucky in the winter as our hours are shorter and have built up Poppy to be left alone for 4 hours at the most but when summer comes we will get a dog walker and also have family to help out as well. Just build your time up to reduce separation anxiety and your pup will be fine. Get a pup which suits you and your boyfriend regardless whether is full breed or not. It's the best thing we have ever done!

Good luck xx

8. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Well as the OP said that short coated (presumably shedding) dogs provoke an allergic reaction, it's probably best not to take a gamble on a crossbreed puppy that can be both short coated and shed profusely....

If that is the case they are better off researching pure breeds, spending some time around them to see if they provoke a reaction, and going from there.....

Lurcherlad, Sarah1983 and BlueJay like this.
  9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

As you are both working full time anf unable to get home at lunchtime, then I suggest you employ a dog walker to give your dog a break and a walk during the day. Initially the walker would only be taking a puppy for a short walk or a play in the garden allowing it to toilet etc as puppies must not be taken for long walks until they are adults. The rule of thumb is five minutes of onlead walking at an enforced pace per month of age. So a 3 month old puppy will have a 15 minute walk. This does not include running around in a field or garden.
    What a young puppy does need is plenty of oppourtunity to go outside to toilet, initially it will be about every hour and a half during the day, but will gradually get longer as the puppy matures. The six weeks of time off work that your partner has will really help to get your pup into a routine ready for being left during the day. But do look into dog walkers or dog day care.
    My neice and her husband both work full time and were able to successfully raise a puppy, but they send him to day care three times a week and have a dog walker for the other two days.
    As to the breed. As has been said you won't know what kind of coat the puppy will have, every pup in the litter could have a different coat to the other, that's why it's often recommended that people buy a pedigree pup because you will know exactly what you will be getting. Normally I would suggest spending time with a puppy of the same breed to see if you react at all to the coat, but as I have said, with a cross you won't know from one cockerpoo to another what you will get with your own puppy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice