Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need some advice feeding 1 year old

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by weebeasties, Mar 23, 2019.

1. weebeasties

weebeasties PetForums Member

Our Buddy will be 1 year old soon. I feed him three wet meals a day and have dry out at all times. I have always heard that you give a kitten all they want to eat until the age of one year and then start decreasing the amount.
    I'm wondering if that is correct if he hasn't finished growing yet? He's a big boy now, but I think he may get bigger. His head is huge!
    I'm a little torn on what to do. I want to keep feeding him the same amount in case he is still growing, but recently he has started to look a bit pudgy. He's looking chubby in his hips (like his mum;)).
    So what do you fine people think? Would it be ok to continue feeding him 3 meals a day or am I setting him up to be a fat kitty?

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    As I understand dry food being carb heavy can lead to weight gain.
    I would try him on wet food, 3/4 x per day.
    Good quality, high protein wet food without sugar should fill him up.

I also give a bit of raw during the week and usually a cooked meat in broth such as turkey, pork or chicken.

Quartermass, weebeasties and ChaosCat like this.
  3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

If he's snacking on dry during the day then that's probably what's leading to weight gain as it's virtually all carbohydrate which cats just don't need (bit like us raiding the biscuit tin 3 or 4 times a day - and you know what that leads to :eek:)

Try reducing the dry available until you can dispense with it all together and like @Summercat says fill him up with high protein, grain and sugar free wet food.

chillminx and weebeasties like this.
  4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

My ladies are almost two years old and they eat about 350g of high quality wet per day each without being chubby. Annie is even very lean. Granted, they probably use up more energy than an inside only cat as they have outside access through the cat flaps and use that a lot.
    They have their food available 24/7 and eat what they need, never stuff themselves.

I agree to the others that it’s the dry food that makes your Buddy chubby.

5. I've seen from your photos that your cats are indeed impressively slinky dink!

ChaosCat likes this.
  6. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Might be their excellent moggie genes. :D

weebeasties likes this.
  7. weebeasties

I can definitely eliminate the dry. I don't think he will miss it much. He usually only eats it right before we go to bed. I think I'll do it gradually though. Maybe leave him a few kibbles in the dish so he doesn't feel like he's missing out on his midnight snack.
    Thanks everyone!

8. Quartermass

Quartermass PetForums Senior

My cat is 4.8KG, and maintains his weight with 150 to 170g of wet a day. He's 3 or 4 years old and is a neutered indoor cat. Outdoor access must have a large impact on calories burnt.

20190322_183245.jpg

ChaosCat likes this.
  9. weebeasties

Buddy is 6.9 KG and eats about 200g of wet food a day. The rest of his calories are coming from the dry that I haven't measured.
    S7302770.JPG

Summercat and ChaosCat like this.
  10. Quartermass

60g of dry is what Johnny got when he was on dry and it maintained his weight, it's massively more calorific than wet so even a little will boost the calorie content a lot.

Buddy really is a big boy!

weebeasties likes this.
  11. weebeasties

When he was getting his vaccinations the vet was always astounded at how quickly he grew. He would shake his head and say "He is going to be a monster of a cat when he's full grown!"
    He started life as an alley cat, but I wonder if he has some big breed in his ancestry somewhere. If he does, then perhaps he still has some growing to do.
    Thanks again everyone for the recommendation to cut out the dry. I'm sure that's why he's been looking a bit pear-shaped lately.

12. Quartermass

I think it's difficult to judge if a cat is overweight or not by just looking unless you've got lots of experience with it. I certainly don't. My Johnny was 3KG when he entered the SSPCA rescue centre in oct '16 and 4KG when I got him, he swelled to (I can't actually remember but it was well over 5KG) and I've slowly got him back down to 4.8KG and the vets seem happy. The vet warned me that it's very bad for a cat to go on a crash diet so it should be done slowly.

If I was in your shoes I'd try to find the right amount of wet to maintain his weight and then if you do find he's a bit too pear shaped bring him down by a small amount to gradually reduce weight until he gets to the ideal weight.

My cat Johnny has food issues, nothing like as bad as he used to but he's always looking for food. He'll meow if he's really hungry - he does that in the morning if I go near my work stuff and he's worried I'll leave without feeding him.

I don't find this chart in any way helpful but it's all I've ever been able to find. I think getting the vet to be frank with you (I suspect for an easier life they're not going to tell everybody their cat needs to lose weight) might be the best way. Either that or someone with experience with rescues etc.

Attached Files:

weebeasties likes this.
  13. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

You may well find that the dry is a lot more than you think, do you weigh it? On the (very) odd occasion that we give Oscar any dry, I’m always surprised at how little you get for 5g of weight. It always intrigues me, the variation in how much cats eat compared to their weight. Oscar has been stable at around 5.2kg for several months now and eats about 320g of wet food per day, which is about the guideline of what he is fed. I know he’d eat less if he’d eat better food, but he won’t. However, some cats will eat much less than him but still put weight on...which goes to show how useless the feeding guides are, really. Oscar is 12, neutered and goes out in our garden for a toddle around every day, with the occasional dash across the lawn if an ant (or anything!) scares him...! So not massively active like Chaos Cat’s girls, but more active than just sitting. Bit like me, really.

weebeasties and ChaosCat like this.
  14. weebeasties

I never weighed the dry. He has a small bowl that holds maybe a half cup and I would just refill it when it was empty. Maybe every two or three days. He usually just has a snack before jumping into bed with me for the night. I'm going to just give him 10 kibbles a night and then decrease it to 5.
    He is indoor only and is getting less active now. Not running through the house all the time like kittens do. Now his zoomies only happen 3 or 4 times a day. I've been through it many times before, but it always amazes me how fast they grow up! Anyway, I think that the fact that my once hyperactive furball is turning into more of a sedate lord of the manor, means he doesn't require the extra calories from dry. I have another boy who is on insulin and I want to prevent Buddy from suffering the same fate.

Quartermass likes this.
  15. Quartermass

Yeah I think you know what you're doing now.

Here's another chart I found when I was looking for the other one. Just as useless but might give you a laugh.

TJsOAnX.png

weebeasties likes this.
  16. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

:Hilarious:Hilarious

That 40% is acceptable???!!!:eek:

17. Quartermass

It's not a serious chart!

18. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I know:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice