Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need info on Degus

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by sayj, Jul 22, 2009.

1. sayj

sayj PetForums Member

Hi everyone, me and my OH went to P@H and fell in love with the Degu's that we saw:D we read some general info about them but don't really know alot.
    Can anyone who owns them or has owned them please let me know about the good and bad points of having them, as we really want some and want to know more about them before we get them?
    I would be grateful for the help.
    thanks.
    sayj

2. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

They're a LOT of work first off.

They need a big cage, All metal as they'll chew through plastic with ease.

They're cute and all, but I've always found that mine are never as tame or friendly as my rats.

They have problems with digesting sugar (I think?) So they have to be on a strict diet with no sugary treats atall.

Once they're tame, they're fun to play with and make quite good pets but require a lot of attention otherwise they bar chew a lot.

If they aren;t tame they have one helluva bite on them. Mine bit my brothers finger through to the bone when I first moved them.

To be honest, I wouldn;t go out and buy them as pets personally, If you;re after an animal that is REALLY handleable and friendly I'd stick with the rats. Myself and my brother have kept both degus and rats and always found that degus were nowhere near as good to keep as rats.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

3. sayj

sayj PetForums Member

Thankyou for that , we might just stick to keeping ratties:D
    Sayj

4. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

I'm sure there's people on here who are much more experienced with keeping degus than I am, but my experience with them wasn't the best and now they live permenantly at my brothers house where they love the space and attention they get (plus they're in with 8 other degus and love it)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

5. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

weve only had ours about 1 month

they were 9months old when we adopted them , took them a week to get use to us, now they will sit on your sholder etc ..... but one of them is good at going back in the cage and the other is a bit more difficult ,

you need a big all metal cage , lots of wooden things to chew and rope hammocks etc.... there is alot of woods that are toxix to them though so be careful.

they love sand baths , they can eat guinea pig pellets or chinchilla pellets ( you can actually get degu pellets though if you find them ), they need lots of timothy hay to eat aswell

o and they are very messy so you need a surround for the cage to catch stuff so its easier to clean up

i really glad i got degus i think there great pets

o and you have to keep cables etc out of the way other wise they will chew them

and i dont think there that much work :)

6. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

I havent tried owning one... but curious how it feels to have one.

7. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

oooh, my bf is looking into getting some degus.

Would they be ok in a big tank, rather than in a cage? Obviously with lots of stuff to climb on etc :001_tt2:

8. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

So long as they can't chew or climb out of it they should be ok in a tank. If it's a plastic one then they'll chew out easily, though it'll probably have to be a pretty big tank to keep them occupied enough :)

Peace
    Akai-Chan

9. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

A 4ft tank?? I figured that would be ok. :D

10. alyssa_liss

Degus love height rather than length so it would have to be tall really , and put ladders and stuff , they love the higest point , mine fight over it lol

11. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Absolutely...got the big wooden bird ladders and stuff. I will ensure it is kitted out well! :D

12. alyssa_liss

well theres only one more thing ,.......piccys :)

13. sayj

sayj PetForums Member

Thankyou all for the info:D my OH loved them as soon as he saw them, but wanted more information about them.

14. ikikata

ikikata PetForums Junior

I have two degu myself and am buying two more because they are such lovely pets to be with. Once you tame them they will do almost anything, from sleeping on your lap to comIng when u call them. I would say the only bad points Are the chewing and the diet, as you need to make sure they have no sugar or very little. Fortunatly mine don't chew at all only wooden sticks, which is very useful but most degu's do chew. Also it's advisable to have a high base for your degu cage as they do tend to kick out bedding alot. I'm in the middle of making a new degu cage, which I will post a picture of, to show when it is complited. Also degu's do not bite unless u threaten them in any way, my degu's have never bitten anyone. Also you can buy degu pellets at pets at home, this is really useful as you then don't have to mix the pellets. On the whole degu's make great pets and I would definetly advise you to buy them.

If you have anymore questions please don't be afraid to ask.

For more information on degu's go to degutopia.

#14 ikikata, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  15. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Tanks are no good :( a good cage like mine from here
    John Hopewell (Marketing) Rotherham South Yorkshire, Chinchilla Cages - Degu Cage - Degus Exercise Wheels - Cages - Animal Cages - Rat Cage - Ezi-Filla - Ezi - Easy - Automatic Water Drinking Systems - Guinea Pig Runs - Rabbit Feed Hoppers - Birds -
    They are lovely and to be honest low maintenance as long as they have the right cage food and hay they are fine i have 9 of them and 2 are rescues :D i've had mine for 2 years now if you have any questions please ask :thumbup1: x

16. spankingtigger

spankingtigger PetForums Member

whats wrong with tanks???? all of my 21 degus are in reptile vivariums!! and they love it.

degus are ace pets i would recommend them to any i have had many different pets and the goos are the most interesting and fun to be around and watch. i have never been bitten by degus, not even the rescue ones i have! i also breed them and they are amazing little pets.

yes they do chew everything and yes they will even chew glass and metal, so just make sure you have loads of stuff in there for them to chew i give all of mine wooden hides and nest boxes, fruit tree branches (not citrus though) and loads of parrot toys swings hammocks and tubes. (pop in to a supermarket go to the deli counters and ask if they have any rolls left over from the cling film wrap) there think and mind loe them.

degus are prone to diabetes and cateracts so you have to be carefull wat you feed them, if you give them chinchilla mix just look at the ingredents as for some reason they have started putting dried fruit in it, i get my foor from p@h the degus nuggets as i have found that giving them a degu mix after a while they will start selective feeding, for treats though they get dried carrot and other leaves and stuff you can buy at p@h and hide them round the cage as they are grazers and enjoy hunting for there food.

i have kept degus for ages now i rescue and breed them so if you have any questions then please send me a PM am always around somewhere to help :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice