Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need help

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by cassie01, Aug 14, 2009.

1. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

Just got merlin out and his ears have gone funny. the tips look really fuzzy, almost like the skin is dry or there is mould growing on them, he was fine a few days ago when i got him out. gonna look online for hamster illnesses and take him to vets tomorrow but does anyone know what it might be??

Also his balls look dry and funny too although this could just be besause he has sucked them in, lol

2. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Aww poor merlin... I was reading something earlier about hamsters having mites on their ears, maybe thats it? I don't know though, hope he's ok :)

3. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

think it might be mange but i have no idea where he got it!!!!

4. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

aww poor thing hope the vet sorts him out tomorrow! :(

5. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

iv made up some flower of sulper stuff which can cure mange and help with itching etc for tonight so hes gonna get covered in some bright yellow oil now, will try to take some pics.

and im goin to soak his cage, although that will take hours!! theres 13 rooms, lol. might just do two rooms now and restrict him for one night. so the rest can soak over night.

6. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

13 rooms woaaaah is he in a Rotastak or something? That's a lot!! :D

7. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

yup, and its still not big enough, theres at least 4 more rotastak rooms for me to get, lol and then theres a big bar cage i want to add as an add on too so he has a larger bar area to climb, lol, hes a spoilt little boy:D

8. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

He is spoilt!!! Lucky boy :D

9. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

What a lucky ham :D

What kind of ham is he btw??

10. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

syrian, long haired, hes supposed to be going in a hamster show in a couple of months too because hes so pretty!!

I know some people dont like keeping syrians in rotastaks but iv never had any problems in the 12 years iv been keeping them and i do everything possible to reduce risks. iv only had one escape which was my own fault as i forgot to plug a hole up, lol, never did it since, i always double and triple check now.

11. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I hear they are a sod to clean out though?

I have a few rotastack tubes that my dwarfs use as toys.. They seem to love them..

12. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

they are a bit annoying to clean but i actually like cleaning the cages out. lol. I find it odly relaxing. i use some spare tubes for the robos and they like them too.

13. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

My syrian is in a rotastak pod which is attached to his savic cage... and he loves it :D He seems to spend more time in the rotastak one than the bigger savic cage for some reason!

I don't see a problem in keeping a syrian in a rotastak as long as you have lots of them like you do so that they have space to run around :p

And as long as they don't get too fat and get stuck in the tubes :S I keep worrying that Sausage will get stuck in the Rotastak tube that leads out of the cage and then I remember that most of him is just fluff :D

14. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I know what you mean... There's nothing better than a clean cage.. :D

15. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

my last hamster got a bit fat on meal worms and he never got stuck because i was checking evey five mins, lol. i got really worried for a bit but hamsters can get through really tiny gaps anyway so surely they would have to be mega fat to set stuck, lol

16. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

definatly, i find it almost teraputic, it calms me down when im angry but it also helps me think. maybe im just strange.......

17. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I like cleaning them... but I hate putting them back together D:

Especially the stupid shelf in the savic peggy metro... its so annoying to put back in!!! And I find the tubes quite hard to put together sometimes without breaking them :mad:

18. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

the worst ones are the puzzle toys, you clean them and they take hours to put back together again!! especially if you try to make different things out of them every time!!

19. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

hehe i have the same shelf in my cambridge and i cheat and use cage cleaning wipes.. :D

I hate the puzzles... Just when you are almost finished and clicking the last peice on, it falls apart! :cursing:
    The hams love them though

20. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

That sounds like a good idea :D

I usually move it from one side to the other when I've cleaned the cage or I change the height of it to make it different... its so annoying to put in though - especially if the tubes/bottle/wheel are attached at the time!! :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice