UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Need help..

780 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Hel_79 
#1 ·
I went to feed the buns tonight, starting with Dylan and Scamp.. Now normally they act like I'm starving them and come rushing over before I even get chance to put the food in :rolleyes: but Dylan didn't even move..
Even by the time I'd fed Millie, while Scamp was munching away Dylan still hadn't moved.. So I left them alone for a bit, kept on checking every so often and still no movement..

Checked again and Dylan was laid in the toilet.. It didn't look right, he had his head resting on the floor and just looked funny :confused: so I went into the pen to see if he was ok, now he's not very fond of being stroked or anything and normally runs away but he still just laid there.. So I decided I was going to take him to the vets first thing in morning to get him checked over

But I've just gone to top up hay now and he's hopping around, munching on hay and cabbage.. I'm not sure whether I should still take him to the vets just incase.. If I'm honest id rather not because there's a horrible vet there that just makes me feel like an idiot for asking questions/makes me feel like I'm wasting his time.. But obviously if Dylan needs to go he needs to go..

Sorry for the massive essay, its late and I'm worried :(

Also I don't know if rabbits can miss other rabbits but Dylan got on really well with Millie and I'm wondering whether he could maybe be missing her? :confused:

See less See more
#6 ·
I would say the same as Bernie - chances are it was a bit of bloat which he has cleared, just keep an eye on him and especially on if it happens again, what he has had to eat before he is like it.
Rascal can't have cabbage at all, he gets bloat most times if he has it :(

*Heidi*

#8 ·
Thanks, yeah I keep going in to check, I've just about managed to feel his belly and it doesn't feel hard which is good. He's snuggled up with scamp now and has eaten this morning :)

Ooo I didn't even think of blackberry leaves, my mate has a bush in her garden so might raid that. They get basil, parsley and mint as well so might just stick with that for a bit. Thanks :)

#9 ·
That's what we feed - basil, mint and parsley - but not too much parsley. Oh, and dandelions too - not too many, as diuretic.

Glad he is up and about today - things always seem to happen out of hours.

And re the vet - no vet should make you look silly, and you are entitled to ask questions. They should explain things better in the first place, and you are entitled to ask about things they haven't thought of or clarified. A good vet will welcome that - they're not gods after all.

If I were you, I would look into whether there are other rabbit savvy vets near you, because you deserve better.

#11 ·
Im going to have to have a look at the list of things they can eat, try some different stuff to replace the kale..

I might look into a different vet, the bloke is apparently a well known drunk :eek: and although I've only seen him once I always dread it incase it's him

#12 ·
I'll just add that my bun acted a bit like this a few months ago. He would want to lie down, appear lethargic and off his food. I thought it was a bit of bloat initially, but then one morning I could hear him grinding his teeth, which triggered alarm bells. So, I went back to the vet and insisted they examined his teeth thoroughly. It turned out he had spurs on his back molars. He needed a general anaesthetic to sort it out, but has been fine since.

It never hurts to get a bunny's teeth checked out if you're going to the vet anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.