Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by toots22, Jun 7, 2010.

1. toots22

toots22 PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone I am new to this site but just wanted to jump on and say hi also I have a question. I have a ten month old border collie bitch and my partner and I were thinking of getting another dog but should we get a boy or girl? I'm just a bit concerned incase we get another girl and they both fight does anybody have any advice? Thanks

2. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

I haven't been in this situation before, but I'd say it wouldn't depend so much on the sex, but more on how they'd interact.

Most rehoming centres will want your current pup to meet the new one in a safe environment and watch how they interact.

So i'd say take advice from wherever you plan on getting the new one from, allow them both to interact. So long as it is a neutral place, neither dog will feel the need to protect their environment.

And good luck!

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

With your B collie still being really young,i wouldnt imagine the sex will make much difference.Just bear in mind that if you get one of the opposite sex,you will need to consider neutering/spaying (unless you plan to breed) to prevent unwanted litters.
    Iv had both male and female youngsters and there have been no problems(and now have 3 girls).Treat them both the same.They will have rough and tumbles and find their own pecking order but generally it wont make much different which you go for :)

4. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Hi there, welcome to the forum! I love collies, can we see piccies??! :)

I have a 14 month old BC bitch and we plan to get another early next year and I have been asking people lots of questions about this as it will be the first time my OH and I have had more than one dog at a time.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that you should get whatever sex you would like.

Some people say that a dog and bitch will get on easier and that bitches are nastier to each other. However, from all the people I have spoken to and people I know, not one has had issues themselves with two bitches (although one had an issue with 2 dogs).

Whilst there are a handful of people (on here I seem to remember from a recent thread) that have had dogs that have fought visciously and bitches fighting visciously, luckily this doesnt seem to be the norm. My mother in law has 6 dogs at hers currently - 5 bitches and 1 dog - and never had any issues. 3 were brought in as pups and 2 as adolescent dogs and whilst the older ones took some more time to fit in, there have not been any major fights.

If you are thinking of getting a rescue your current bitch would be able to meet them first anyway to give you an indication of how they would get on. With a pup slightly more tricky to get them to meet, but hopefully more chance of your current bitch accepting the new dog as it is only a pup anyway :thumbup:

#4 katiefranke, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  5. toots22

toots22 PetForums Newbie

thank you to everyone who replied, we were thinking of getting a dog from a rescue centre so I didn't think it would be a problem taking Buffy down with us as well so she could meet the other dog. Buffy is going to get spayed as i do not want to breed her and don't want any little accidents!!!! Here is my beautiful little girl!

Attached Files:

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

awww, Buffy is a real cutie :) great name!

7. xliljanex

xliljanex PetForums Member

awww i am also a collie fan, shes lovely :)
    i dont think the sex will matter just depends on personality whether they will get on or not, a rescue home will usually let you introduce them 1st and take them for a walk together, to see if they get on, good luck with finding her a new friend

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice