Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need Help with whiney puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Michelle666, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

I am starting to get very down. Ive had my pupppy over a week now, and she still wont sleep for longer than a few hours. We always get woken at 4.30-5am by crying, whining, barking and howling and its starting to take its toll. She sleeps most of the day under our feet. I just dont know what to do

She sleeps in the hall way, and Im worried that as we have no curtains etc at a couple of windows that its becoming too light for her in the mornings. Im not crate training her, and dont want to, as she will be a big breed. I want her to have freeroam during the day when Im not here.

We dont go down to her, or give in the crying etc. But its starting to cause alot of upset and anger

2. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Bella, my 13 week old pup, slept pefrectly for a while but has started waking me up at 4 - 5am, not funny!
    So I had the same thought, I shut all the curtains last night and this morn we had a lie in - she didn't wake til 6.20am!
    Have you tried controlling when she sleeps? Bella was sleeping at 7pm right through til 4/5am so I have started keeping her awake with games/toys and walks so now she doesn't go to bed til 10pm and it seems to work better for me.
    I know how you feel when a pup whines - first it is sadness and worry incase she really is getting stressed then it turns in to anger because she can sleep during the day and you have to stay awake! Lack os sleep is no good thing.
    It does get better, she will be so worth it. Hang in there :)

3. Michelle666

She sleeps on an off through the day, but once we get to around 9pm, we try and play with her. She will usually stay up till 11pm when we go off to bed.

Think I will try covering the windows that are nearest her, and make it more dark. I think she ends up being woken with the sun shining through.

I dont want to get upset with, I love her to bits. But yeah lack of sleep is very difficult...im kinda glad she isn't a human baby...that could be worse!

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

as a pup she will need plenty of potty times.

when i first got my gr i didnt crate either i used an 8 sided pen. he lived in that for about 3 weeks.

had his bed and bowls toys etc in the pen.

i used it just like a crate, that was his area and no one disturbed him in there.

i also slept in the same room while he was small so i could let him out regularly 24/7 for a pee and poo.

get her into a routine of sleeping and peeing, dont over excite just before bed as she will take time to come down.

have a go with the pen, it worked as well as a crate and they dont feel so confined.

keep her in one room for now then as she grows let her have more freedom of the house.

mine only whines now if he needs to go out urgently.

just re read your post, she has only been with you a week so is probably still a bit bemused.

crate training will work no matter the size of the fully grown dog. it gives the pup security and safety and also gives the owners a time out with the pup being safe.

pups will sleep then wake sleep then wake in a cycle that is not suitable fpr people lol. take her to pee when she whines at night then crate her. pee then crate.

dont worry that she will big by the time that happens she will be out of the crate and a good house dog.

#4 davehyde, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  5. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Our pup did this too, it won't last forever i promise! All you can do is try your best to work out what the problem is. They are like babies, they only care about a few thing; eating, sleeping, going to the toilet, and lots of love.

Make a routine for your puppy and stick to it, they like things to be the same. This applies to eating times, toilet times, play times etc etc. She's just lost her mum and her old routine, you need to try to settle her into a new one with lots of love and comfort.

I guess it's debatable how you choose to deal with the whining at night, it's no doubt either needing a wee, or is scared and feeling lonely. Whether what i did in my situation was right, who knows, but i positioned our dogs bed in a place she could see us when we were asleep. If she started whining, we took her out for a wee and put her back into her bed. In the first few weeks we did comfort her at night times, but not to the extent we confirmed her fears, just a pat to let her know we were still there.

Our breeder used to give her milk and biscuits at 6am, so for the first few weeks she was up at 6 waiting for her biscuits!! Now her body clock is pretty much set to ours... but you need to persevere! Good luck!

6. trabonita

trabonita PetForums Member

Hi,

I assume your pup probably needs a wee! I got up twice a night for the first three weeks with my pup, I don't think you can expect a puppy to sleep right through without needing the loo! not for a few weeks anyway, you might find that by getting up and letting him out for a minute works, and then he'll probaby go back to sleep.

7. Michelle666

No, she takes herself and uses her puppy pad for a wee. She only gets up to whine and howl. When we go down she just jumps around, and then whines more when we go upstairs.

She stayed in bed till 5.40am today, but she only wont because I got up for work, and I nearly fell down the stairs whilst trying to be quiet! :D

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

might be a bit of seperation anxiety, if you google it or go to the KC websitr there is info there.

9. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

My pups only wine when they need to go to toilet desperately. You should get up and let her out really!! Don't ignore her shes trying to tell you something.

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I agree with flufffluff39.
    It sounds like she is crying as she needs to go out. Yes, she may be using the puppy pads, but she may also be finding it distressing to do so. Dogs do not like to be near their own waste, but you are leaving her no choice, as she is physically unable to hold it that long.

Personally, i hate puppy pads. Using them is just telling a dog that its acceptable to toilet in the house.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice