Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need help with obedience training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sunnyej, Jul 10, 2009.

1. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

hi,

i have a 2 month old gsd

and he is quite a handful all day i am at office from 9 am to 8 pm

i come in between to give my pup food
    but how do i train him for poty and pee

my backyard has earth and ruble and he eats bots D:

Don't want him getting another infection , i get a little time to train him .
    he pee;s inside and does **** too..

any ideas? :( pls

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Your puppy is very much a baby and leaving him that length of time it will be hard to train him,if not impossible.
    Of course he will pee and poop in the wrong place as your not around to toilet train him,young pups need to be taken out every 30 minutes to an hour,after feeding,sleeping,playtime etc...
    How much time do you actually spend with him ?

3. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Yeah. Rehome him while he's young. For both your sakes.

I mean come on - leaving him from 9 - 8?? Why on earth didn't you get a hamster instead? Or even a cat?

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

You have picked one of the most difficult breeds, because they are very intelligent and need a lot of stimulation.

If you cannot provide this, you should consider re-homing and next time get an adult rescue, who can be left and needs little training.

Colliepoodle likes this.
  5. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

for now i got morning shift so my cousin watch's over him in day .. and from 8 pm to 9 am he is with me,,

next month i got night shift .and and in night shift atleast one person is at home in night and day .

so more sugestions please? :)

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I would suggest buying a puppy book to begin with and then a book about GSD's. You have a lot of problems, which I am sure is normal behaviour. If you read up on then it will give you advice on what to do.

The forum is great for getting advice, but need a basic understanding first.

Good luck

7. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

okay but till now he knows autoo

1) lose leash walking

2) he comes when i call his name..

one thing i taught him

is "sit" lol :D

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

why did you get a dog if you cant spend adequate time with it?

9. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

man james people like u get on my nerves.

did u even read what i posted above?

AND

i clearly mentioned in previous thread i adopted him ... -.-

10. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I think James has read what you posted above perfectly well.

If you can't spend enough time with a dog you shouldn't have it.

The fact you adopted the dog is neither here or there. You say it is 2 months old. Unless that is a typo, I'm surprised they let you rehome such a young dog when you clearly aren't able to spend enough time with it.

11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

SunnyeJ - Where are you as I cannot imagine any UK rescue allowing a puppy to go to a fully time worker.

How many hours is he left?

At 8 weeks old you should have only just got him and although it may appear so, he will not be lead trained or recall trained at 8 weeks.

12. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

@dundee
    yea they did let me have it ..cuz i take every dog i can home.. i got 2 ,one 1 and 1/5 year old labs
    i live in Chandigarh, India
    i got him when he was 1 month old. i had my night shift at that time . So he was never left alone and still my cousin stays with him in day time , and i take over in night
    i already taught him recall, and sit command :)

coolie its not about having dog or not its about saving their life . rather then being at shelter .he is good with me .
    u think he was good at shelter ? >.>
    locked up and not being looked after
    but now he has a loving family and is being looked after , medically checked, loved unconditionally .

India is a bit diff, here dogs are bred for purpose.

and about adopting dogs i posted a lot of topics about feeding etc and people who read it they know i adopted -.- Afghan

now if everyone is clear can i get some suggestions pls?

13. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

oh i've seen dogs in india. I know what you're talking about. I commend you for taking care of him. That's a reason why i will never visit India ever again.

Although i can't offer you great advice i'm afraid.

14. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

lol k u might have seen the worse scenario . but yea we love our dogs here in India . we feed them normal diet and they are fine . there are very less pupy mills in india .. hardly any i know nor anyone in my connections :)

just cant simply say that cuz of one reason u don like a country lol

15. Dundee

Dundee Banned

SunnyeJ - that's why I asked - I didn't think you could be in the UK.

Regarding your training, you are doing well, but what I meant is that he is far too young to consider having learnt his recall and lead walking (he will get older and more confident and it could all go out the window) however you have made a good start.

With regards to house training - honestly - he is too young to expect it really - he may still not have complete control of his bladder yet and it takes time for them to associate the feeling of being full with emptying the bladder and bowel. Training this is much more difficult if you are away for long periods of time. The normal methods are to take the puppy outside (or wherever you want it to go) regularly, stay with them until they go and heap praise on them. This needs to be done after every meal, after play, after sleep and about every half hour too. If you are not around to do this it will take far far longer. How long is he left (between your cousin and your working patterns?

PS
    There are many many countries that don't treat their animals well - including many cases of neglect here in the UK. I've never been, but my daughter visited India last year on a gap year and LOVED it.

16. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

umm he is under my cousins supervision for 10 hours and 14 hours with me

17. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hey, next time say where you are!

It is a very different country to the UK and I applaud you for what you have done. In the UK, taking on a pup in your situation, is not ideal. But in India, he is much better with you.

Dundee has given you some good advice, you can look through previous posts and you will find LOADS on puppy problems.

The only thing I will add, is make sure that all humans are the pack leader. GSD can be quite dominant breeds and if you don;t provide a leadership role, then your dog will do it. GSD are naturally guarding dogs, you do not want to get into a situation where he thinks that he needs to control it. This can lead to issues, such as dog aggression and aggression towards people. If you always assume the leadership position, then training your dog will be that much easier.

Google "pack leader" and "GSD" and this will give you loads of useful information.

People didn't mean to give you a hard time, but what is acceptable in India is not in the UK, when it comes to animal welfare.

Edit your profile page and put in your location.

Good luck x

18. Dundee

Dundee Banned

So someone is around all the time? If so, then take her out to where you want her to go every half hour, after she wakes up, after playtime and after meals. Wait till she goes (you can add a command for her to go) and praise her. You just need to make sure your cousin does the same while he/she is at home with her.

19. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Puppies need SO much time and attention (as I am discovering!), if you cannot provide consistent training your pup may turn in to a troubled dog :(

You have to make sure that everyone who looks after your dog while you are not there follows all the training procedures that you use.

20. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

he is doing great now.. we have successfully made 2 days without any accidents :D

he knows a new command now "Stay"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice