Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need help with litter

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by EmiKitties998, Mar 21, 2020.

1. EmiKitties998

EmiKitties998 PetForums Newbie

hi, I just rescued a mum cat and her three babies who are 10 days old. Unfortunately one died on Sunday. The issues I’m having are:
    - I’m not sure if she is helping the kittens poop or not, when i’ve tried nothing is coming out. (The vets told me to do this due to her not being the best mother)
    - I noticed last night she is favouring the boy over the girl, she took the boy upstairs and left the girl downstairs on her own. When I held the boy she gave him so much attention but when I held the girl she didn’t care in the least that it was crying. I’ve also noticed that one of the little girls eyes is partly shut even though they were both wide open yesterday. I’m not sure what to do.

Can anyone help me?

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If she is toileting them herself you will struggle to get them to pass faeces.

She might think there is something wrong with the girl, and the partly shut eye could be an infection which needs treating.

3. EmiKitties998

Since it’s the weekend I can’t take her anywhere. It’s not weeping however.

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I cant help with your problem but would just like to add that if you are in the UK all vets must provide Out of Hours cover but that aside there will be a few vets open at the w/end .It will just be a case of phoning around .Vets 4Pets may be worth a try

https://www.vets4pets.com/find-a-practice/

gskinner123 likes this.
  5. EmiKitties998

Thank you, I’ll see how they are after lunch. I’ve put them all in my room so i can keep an eye on what she does with the kittens and if she does in fact help them poop and if she lets the girl suckle. Is that the right thing to do? I‘ve never cared for a mum cat and her kittens.

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If you see her licking their bottoms you should be OK on that front. Weigh the kittens in grams - hopefully you have suitable kitchen scales - and weigh them at about the same time tomorrow. On average they should gain about 10g per day. And she might not like being moved from her chosen nest site.

If you ring your own vet you should get a message about their out of hours service, and you should be able to get phone advice from them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice