Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need help with greyhound

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lendog, May 30, 2017.

1. Lendog

Lendog PetForums Newbie

Hi ~ so we have had greyhound since February.

Although at first he would freeze on his walks, we soon overcame this and he now loves his walks and is settled into the house.

However, recently several issues have arisen, and I am hoping someone could give us advice on fixing them.

The main one is bitting when he walks up. This has only happen in the last few weeks and I was shocked becasue it is so unlike him and his breed. This always takes place on the sofa, when he is in what we call 'zombie mode'. At first it was just at my dad, but yesterday he bit me too (it didn't draw blood but still left a mark), which was very surprising as he does trust me. I wasn't leaning over him or anything, I woke him up gently by saying his name and moved when I say he was awake, and that was when he went for me. He immediately knew he did something wrong though, and I think he genuinely felt bad. I firmly told him 'no' and he went to his bed. Obviously, he is no longer allowed in the sofa however I already miss being able to sit and watch TV with him, so it there any way we could fix this? (also: the first time he we went for my dad on the sofa I though it might be becasue he saw the sofa as his bed, so we imposed a 'only allowed on the sofa when the humans are on the sofa' rule which I think he understood, but evidently this did nothing).

He is great at coming back to me in the park, with a near 100% success rate (I wouldn't let him off otherwise!). He is, however, very playful and really wants to play with other dogs. Sometimes he runs after a dog, and as soon as I call him he come back but often by that time the dog is already terried. It isnt terriers/small dogs he goes after, normally large ones like labs, and although they weigh more than him they still run away! We have had one embarrassing incident where a lab ran across the whole park after Len tried to play with him. I know there's not alot we can do about this, so is the only solution to keep him in the lead? (side note: he is always walked in a muzzle, just in case).

Finally, as an extension to the previous issue we have a walking buddy (a springer poodle cross) who he desperately wants to play with. However, to put it bluntly hates him. She will bark at him, but Len only get more playful and start barking, and when she will growl at him an has nipped at him a few times. He still doesn't get the message though! My friend says that we should just leave them to sort it out, but after months it still hasn't gone away, so it there anything I can do?

One more thing - we are going on holiday with my granny and she will have an 8 week old springer puppy with her. I'm worried Len will try and play with it and traumatise it, so how should I introduced them?

Sorry, I know this is really long and I would be really grateful for any advice given.

Although there are certainly issues, I just want to say that he is the most amazing, sweet, loyal dog anyone could wish for. Other than the problems he has, he is a dream in the house and on walks, and I couldn't recommend a greyhound enough.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post and any advice would be really appreciated!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

"Let sleeping dog's lie" is a useful saying! ;)

Sighthounds often sleep with their eyes open so never approach/touch them unless you know how they will react. Every dog is different.

I'm as sure as I can be that my Grey x Saluki, Jack would not react aggressively - it's just not in his nature - however, we always make sure he knows we are there and he is fully awake and aware before touching him, just in case.

It could be he wasn't quite fully awake and was startled or possibly a bit of resource guarding. Either way, I would try calling him off the sofa before interacting in those circumstances. Use a treat, if necessary, to encourage the "off". Don't try forcing the issue as that can cause anxiety and escalate the behaviour.

Put his bed in a quiet corner and teach him to lay there on occasion (with a Kong, treat) and leave him in peace.

Is it possible he has been displaying signs of anxiety in general, or at being touched, which are often so subtle that we miss them? (Useful chart in separate post below - to follow as can't download at mo ;)). With training/new management he might learn to be less anxious/reactive, but ultimately his boundaries should be respected. Try to avoid situations where he feels vulnerable.

Sighthounds are boisterous players - Jack is a bit of a woos though and although he loves his BFF greyhound, she sometimes scares him with rough play so he runs to me to stop the game and protect him! ;)

I would say be selective with which dogs you allow Len to play with. They shouldn't be allowed to always greet/play with every dog they see anyway. Better to have a dog that looks to you for permission first and can switch off if necessary and ignore other dogs.

If your friend's dog really can't tolerate Len then I would limit their interactions and definitely not "let them sort it out" - unfair on both IMO. If you still want to walk together do so on leash and keep the dogs an acceptable distance apart. Maybe, in time he will calm down and she might accept him - or not! ;)

On holiday you will need to manage Len and the puppy to avoid any dramas or scaring the pup. Keep them apart when you aren't there to supervise them, use house lines to manage interactions, using distractions to teach them to ignore each other sometimes.

#2 Lurcherlad, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Lendog likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

For some reason I can't download the chart that explains the signs of anxiety in dogs :( There is also an article explaining the phsyche of an ex-racing greyhound which is also useful to understand some of their idiosynchracies.

I did, however find this paragraph which was a response to an owner's recount of a newish greyhound growling and snapping when hugged in it's bed, which gives the gist:

It's called space aggression. He has always had his own space he's never had to share before. They have their own crate in the racing kennel and no one ever bothers them there. He now see's his bed as his space and doesn't react well when someone enters his space. Some hounds will always be space aggressive but most get past it once they trust you. I would leave him alone when he's on his bed. An easy way to get him up and in his crate is to leash him up, put him in his crate and treat him with a treat for complying. These dogs respond well to positive reinforcement so use it often.
    Unquote

Laney_Lemons and Lendog like this.
  4. Lendog

Lendog PetForums Newbie

Thanks so much for the responses! Will definitely use what was said.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice