Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need help w/ ball python

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by tyjo, Sep 23, 2019.

1. tyjo

tyjo PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am a new snake owner. I got a ball Python about four days ago, and I've felt like he's more stressed than a snake should normally be when adjusting to a new environment. He only comes out of his hides to try and escape by either pushing the top on the enclosure or digging through the substrate until he hits the bottom. All my temps are normal (77°F-80°F on cool side, (90°F on warm side) and the humidity fluctuates from 52%-55% throughout the day. He has two hides on either side of the enclosure and a water bowl. Is there something that I am missing? Also, just a note, his pupils are constantly dilated. I don't think it's normal, as most snakes I see have narrowed slits most of the time. I've never seen his pupils narrow these last days. Am I being too paranoid?

2. Jestine

Jestine PetForums Newbie

Is it possible he may be shedding? They like to rub up on whatever is available to them to try and help shed their old skin. From what you’re describing, it sounds like pretty normal behaviour. Snakes are nocturnal reptiles and are more active during the night. Also, it does take them a little while to become used to a new environment. Give him a week or two and he should be okay ☺️ I’m not an expert though! Just don’t think you have any need to worry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice