UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys.
Over the last 2 months i have been struggling to create a website about flea treatment. The reason why i want to do this is because i have a dog and 2 cats myself, and i have several times had to deal with fleas and i have found no useful content on the internet.

The website is created on knowledge got through years of dealing with these bastards. Therefore i would really like your guys help any would really be really helpful.

website on Flea Treatment

If you like my site feel free to post a comment - share it or leave message here :)

Best regards
John

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I was reading an article a few weeks ago by Richard Allport who is both a conventional vet but now runs a natural medicines centre about natural flea treatments, dont know if they will be of interest. He does say though for a bad infestation they should be cleared first both on the animal and in the home with conventional preparations, but once this has been done there are natural repellants to help animals stay flea free. Dont know if these will be of interest to you?

Garlic, either as fresh or raw garlic.
Small dogs - 1 tablet or quarter a clove of garlic twice daily

Medium dogs - 2 tablets or half a clove of garlic twice daily

Large Dogs - 3 tablets or three quarters of a clove of garlic twice daily

Giant Dogs - 4 tablets or one garlic clove twice daily.

IMPORTANT NOTE: because it is possible (although difficult) to overdose with garlic, it is reccomended to give the above regimes with breaks, one week on and one week off, is a safe dosage.

I checked as someone asked about giving human 1000mg capsules of garlic the other day, on checking dorwest Herbs which is licencesed veterinary herbal medicine. Theirs are 30mg tablets each, and on checking their stated doses they agree with the number of tablets above, so it would be essential to use specially formulated ones for dogs.
Garlic Tablets for Dogs and Cats - Dorwest
garlictablets

Homeopathic medicine Sulphur 200c
Give one single tablet each week, DO NOT GIVE GARLIC ON THE DAY THIS IS GIVEN. Give tablets away from food by mouth directly and avoid touching tablets, for pets that are difficult tablet may be mixed with bland food butter or white fish but at least 1/2 hour away from a main meal.

Sol Dog flea repel
This is a natural spot on based on Neem oil and Cedar wood atlas oil, apply a little on the base of the neck and base of the spine once a month.

Essential Oil Natural flea repellant
Add three drops each of lemon, rosemary and lavender essential oils to 150ml of water. Comb the mixture through the coat daily during flea season late spring to early autumn.

All of the above can be obtained from The Natural Medicine centre www.naturalmedicinecentre.co.uk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot Sled Dog
I will take a look on the website you recommended, it seems interesting, ive also heard about the garlic thing but as you say you should be careful not to overdose, but that's how it is with everthing :) Do you use the method yourself on your dog and have you found it to be working good?

Best regards

·
Registered
39,229 Posts

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks alot Sled Dog
I will take a look on the website you recommended, it seems interesting, ive also heard about the garlic thing but as you say you should be careful not to overdose, but that's how it is with everthing :) Do you use the method yourself on your dog and have you found it to be working good?

Best regards
I only actually read the article a few weeks ago, and havent tried it yet. To be honest I dont know if its just the type of coats my dogs have double coats with thick undercoats but I never seem to have a problem with fleas.
I used to years ago when I had a cat as well, and since I lost him with bladder cancer at 16 I dont seem to have a problem at all with just the dogs.
I groom them thoroughly right through at least once weekly and there is never signs of flea dirt and they rarely itch or scratch either apart from blowing their coats. So in all honesty I dont usually treat for fleas at all, there is no signs on them or in the house. I dont see the point of loading them up with chemicals and insecticides month in month out when its not needed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@Dogless
Thanks for the info i will check it out.

@Sled dog hotel
I am glad for you I have been struggling with fleas a lot but seem after i started to do flea preventation it have been better. Sorry to hear about your cat though.

I understand your point on chemicals which is why i would also like to create a section on my website about natural flea treatment, because even though it might not been documented I am sure that many of the treatments can cause some problems.

Do you have any opinions on my site?

Best regards

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My first thoughts are:

The website was slow to load, but once it was there it was fine.

It's scaremongering

It's opinionated and there is no way for the average pet owner to see the difference between facts and your opinions on there.

There is no information on hygiene for humans after dealing with fleas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@boredombusters

Hi there thanks for the critique .
I will look into the loadtime, but since i haven't got much experience on doing websites i will have to do quite some research on that one.The site is still rather new so of course i need to do some improvements and i am glad about the points you mention.

It's scaremongering
I don't know what you mean about my site being scaremongering, I try to state that if you dont deal with the fleas it can become crucial to your pet's health. But also i state that as long as people are conscious about it and do some preventative steps they should be just fine.
It's opinionated and there is no way for the average pet owner to see the difference between facts and your opinions on there.
This point is something that i might be able to deal with, i will try to find some good trustful sources in order to become to provide more documented information. Also i will work towards having transparency in order to see the difference between facts and opinions.

There is no information on hygiene for humans after dealing with fleas.
Thanks for the idea will definetely look into this topic and write about it.

Thanks again for taking your time.

Best regards
John

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Thanks for your positive response to constructive feedback!

The hygiene thing came around as one of my mum's dogs has a parasite that can be transferred to humans, when I mentioned this to my vet, she said the main problem is people who squash fleas between their fingers then don't wash their hands, so I thought that was a useful tip. Not that I do that.

With scaremongering, my first impression on reading the first page was that if I don't deal with every single flea *immediately*, I'd have an infestation in my home. That's not the case in reality, I only flea treat if my dogs get a flea or two and I've never had an infestation in my home or needed to seriously debug.

One of the opinion bits you might want to rephrase is this: "Often people will wait until their dog has fleas before they try to treat them. This is the wrong approach as prevention is always better than cure." This is opinion, because in my own opinion I like to wait until I see evidence of fleas before I start getting the chemicals out.

On the same page: Hopefully you now have a good idea of the best way to use flea treatment for dogs and can beat them for good
This is again opinion, I think it's unlikely anyone with a dog can ever get rid of fleas for good, even if they never leave the house and their own garden cats and hedgehogs, foxes, etc can move through the garden.

It is hard to spot when you're writing your own opinions rather than fact, I've struggled in some case, but luckily being a service provider I can usually stick to my opinions on the best way to work, but if you want to be a serious resource - and I think what you are doing it great, and I'd be happy to post it on my newsletter for instance to my clients, but I would like to see it not made out to be the end of the world if a dog brings a flea home and some of the opinion either removed, or maybe put in quotes, or different text so it's more obvious its the author's opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Boredom
First of all it is amazing that you took so much time in order to give me something to work with.

I will be working on my content in order to be my about facts and documented content instead of using my own opinion.

Even though the world might be taken over by fleas someday :ihih: i will try to stay away from the doomsday perspective.

I will add more related content and will definetely include some of the points that you recommended me to do.

Maybe you would someday like to do a guest post on my blog, i really like your writing and you seem to have a broad knowledge not only on fleas but also on pets in general.

Do you have an email or something i can contact you on?

Best regards

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
That's kind of you! My email address is Linda at brentwooddogwalker.co.uk :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.