Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

need help asap

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by barneythore, Jul 12, 2009.

1. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

could anyone give me advice on how to stop my two and half year old springer from pulling on his lead i have tried many different leads and a harness and he snapped that

2. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Have a look on the dog training threads, someone is asking a similar question at the moment about gentle leaders and one lady has suggested a canycollar i think it is!?

Good luck :D

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Hi welcome to the forum

4. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Sure you'll find more help on the thread suggested, but I know my mum got a Halti for her dog & that worked.

5. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

i know where you are coming from . we have a 3 year old choc lab , harvey who is great in everyway except pulling on the lead , we have used a cannie (sp) collar for about 2 months now ... well its like walking a different dog , i would strongly reccommend to anyone having trouble , last year harvey had my hubby over while on a walk (marks a 14 stone 6ft 45 year old) and broke 3 of his ribs! , so you can see he was a proper handful now its a joy to take him out, really it is :D

julie xx

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I had a Halti for my last dog and it worked, he hated it at first but he got used to it.

7. rachel_babe10@hotmail.com

rachel_babe10@hotmail.com PetForums Newbie

Haii ox
    i have a staffy that used to pull on the lead but then i taught him not to by bringing along soome treats ♥ and it really worked everytime he pulls just say shh or get a botle and fill it with stones and every time he pulls shake it and say no and when he isnt pulling on the lead praise him anad give him a treat

8. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I would reccomend causion in using Halti headcollars. You have to make sure you have a perfect fit otherwise it is very easy for your dog to slip the headcollar.

My lab Shen is inbetween sizes, his is too small for the lab size and too big for the next size down. He soon learnt that all he had to do was turn round and pull backwards and the halti would simply slip off. If he was feeling especially devious then he would also chew through the safety strap attached to his collar.

9. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

thanxs for all your advice i have tried the halti collar to and he snapped it

10. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

my harvey chewed through an halti in about 5 sec!!! i agree about the fitting being right , we can even take him out on his normal lead with out pulling now (still use the cannie collar the most though)
    julie x
    just noticed your right close to me ... hi ya neeighbour!!!!

#10 purrlover, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  11. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I was reccomended the Dogmatic Dogmatic Headcollar by a vet nurse. But I have yet to get one and use it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice