Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need help and advice with dogs bad behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Quxxnangie, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Quxxnangie

Quxxnangie PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone! So I’m really stuck for ideas I’ve recently got a dog and she is a Belgium Shepard I’ve had dogs before but none like this! Whenever someone comes home she bites quite hard jumps bites hair scratches and won’t listen to no! The only way to get her to stop is to leave her in the garden for a few minutes, then she’s okay I’ve also had incidents where I’ve taken her to the shop and whilst my dad went inside and I was left with her she barks so loud and pulls and if you tell her stop she bites even more and jumps and it’s literally so embarrassing, when outside she won’t listen at all until we get home and I believe this is because she knows I won’t shout at her and tell her off in the street as I don’t want to embarrass myself further. She jumps all Over the furniture aswell and has been trained since a puppy to not get on the bed and she never listens when you tell her to get off especially when my dad is around and I just I really don’t know what to do with her anymore we love her so much but she causes so much stress in the family and ruins so many things and also if this helps after she gets told off she pees or poos in the house she always goes outside but when she’s shouted it at it’s like she’s deliberately trying to annoy you! I really need help and advice becajse I’m finding it so hard to cope

2. Quxxnangie

She’s also 10 months

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Which variety of Belgian Shepherd is she?

These are a very intelligent Breed and respond well to training. How old is she?

Sairy likes this.
  4. Quxxnangie

She is a Belgium Shepard milanos, and 10 months

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Malinois are really not for an inexperienced owner who simply wants a pet.

They really are at their best when given a job to do.

I believe you would benefit from some professional advice from a good behaviourist/trainer. Your bitch needs something to channel her energies and mind into.

Whereabouts do you live?

6. Quxxnangie

Before we got her we researched a lot we’ve had a German Shepard before and he was perfect but it’s true that we’re not so experienced in training but we do try and did ask for advice from people who also own this dog however I do believe I’d benefit from a trainers advice I’m from Corby area which is in Northamptonshire

7. Quxxnangie

She does also get a lot of exercise my dad goes on bike rides with her everyday to try to make her tired but even on the bike she can be a danger sometimes as she really bites the lead even when walking it’s really difficult with her and honestly abit scary sometimes as we just don’t know what to expect

8. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

There are really good reasons that Malanois tend to be kept as working dogs ( in the US I believe they're also popular as personal protection type dogs).
    They are nothing like GSDs in temperament and I really think you need a good trainer/ behaviourist to point you the right way to deal with this.
    In the meantime I would suggest that you stop shouting at her and 'telling her off' because it isn't going to help. If this approach was effective it would have worked by now, but it's not.
    She needs calm, consistent, fair, reward based training and you need somebody to show you how to do this.

Burrowzig, lorilu, Sairy and 3 others like this.
  9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Mali's are nothing like GSDs, you really need a professional to come and help you out before she gets totally out of hand. Telling her no won't make a blind bit of difference, it doesn't mean anything to her. You need to show her what you DO want her to do and reward her for that. She could do with LOTS of mental stimulation and you really don't want to over-exercise her physically either or you are going to create a bored athlete who has no idea what you want from her. At the moment the frustration is coming out as biting and jumping, but if it keeps on this way she will escalate as she has no outlet for this.
    Find a local positive reinforcement style trainer who can help you out.

lorilu, Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Quxxnangie

Thank our for your advice. Will it matter what kind of trainer? Or is there someone specific i should see or what exactly do I sign her up for ? Just general training ?

11. Quxxnangie

Do you know if there’s a method to get her to stop when she acts up like this as it makes it really difficult to remain calm when she’s biting and jumping and scratching etc, in the long run of course the training but kind of just like a quick fix if there is one

12. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

When she's jumping up at you either turn away from her and fold your arms or leave the room without saying anything to her. Make sure you praise her (calmly or just give her treats)when she greets you politely or when all four feet are on the ground.

What training do you do at home with her? Giving her a job to do in the house, working for her food, some mental stimulation would be much more beneficial than upping her physical exercise (she has the stamina for that so she isn't going to tire that way).

Hopefully someone can recommend a trainer for you.

Sairy, Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  13. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi,

I suggest you look for a trainer that uses positive reinforcement.

Also have look at kikopup on youtube she has lots of useful videos. She often uses clicker training - this video may be really helpful

You have a very bright dog that thrives on mental activities. Physical exercise will just make your dog fitter. They wont get tired out. Lots of exercise can also add to the overstimulation.

Doing mental activities with your dog will tire it out much faster than any walk can. I suggest you look into clicker training:
    https://www.clickertraining.com/15tips
    https://www.clickertraining.com/get-started

Also have a look at trick training - our members have written various posts on this:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/the-trick-and-training-reference-library.486746/
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/trick-challenge-thread.386618/
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/trick-challenge-3.492121/
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/trick-challenge-1.486760/

Also have a search for impulse control exercises. Scent work also wears dogs out. start with scattering your dogs kibble in the garden for him to find. You can also play hunt the toy or hunt the kibble in the house. There are lots of online tutorials for this. A messy by fun task is to wrap bits of food in scrunched up news paper hidden in a box and let you dog find them

You pup is also going through the teenager phase which doesn't help.

Please remember that dogs don't understand English. Telling him off or saying no is meaningless. the dog knows you are cross but not why. Try training what you want your dog to do not what you don't want (that leaves too many other options available). Also have a look and see if there are any dog activities in your area. Your pup is still on the young side for agility though some places do pup agility. You could also look at heelwork to music, rally-o, obedience or IPO and tracking clubs. Your dug will need a job. If he wont be a police dog then you need to create another job otherwise he will go freelance and you really do not want a Mal deciding what his job is :eek:

JoanneF, Sairy, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  14. Quxxnangie

We’ve tried turning away and leaving the room but this just makes her worse and she can be quite hurtful and will just follow wherever you go and when you close a door she will constantly scratch and bark and not once has she ever greeted anyone nicely if I’m honest, we do give her treats and praise when she’s good also and what exactly do you mean by mental stimulation?

15. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Mental stimulation is getting her to use her brain. Any activity where she has to think is tiring. Examples include trick training, scent work IE using her nose to find things, solving puzzles, doing obedience work. See my post above for a whole list of suggestions.

16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Use a baby gate so she’s not shut out but can still see you. It helps to know when she’s calm so you can step back in. If she jumps again, straight back behind the gate and do something else like put the kettle on. Repeat consistently and she will learn that her being rough means game/attention ends.

Stop telling her off and shouting at her - it won’t teach her anything except to be anxious around you.

Set her up for success and don’t put her in situations where she will play up, while you work on training.

17. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

It sounds like you could definitely do with a trainer / behaviourist - preferably one that knows the breed. They are not called Maligators for nothing and not really a dog for the less experienced (they are exceptions, but...). It might be worth playing some impulse control games with her, rather than trying to wear her out with physical exercise. Also, re exercise, apologies if you have mentioned her age and I've missed it, but she sounds like a youngster, in which case she shouldn't really be running next to a bike either, as this could potentially damage her joints.

kittih and Sairy like this.
  18. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are over-dogged and could really do with some help from a decent trainer - ideally one who has experience of the breed. Do some research first - you need to get someone who uses reward-based methods and avoid anyone who mentions being dominant or "the alpha" etc.

Biking with a 10 month old, particularly of a large breed is not a good idea. Your dog's joints are still developing and she should not be over-exercised as this could put strain on them. You ought to know this really having previously owned a GSD, but read up on it and find some more appropriate ways to exercise her (including mental exercise as mentioned).

I'm afraid hindsight is a wonderful thing and not much help to you now, but for the sake of anyone who may be reading this and considering a malinois they really are not suited to the majority of homes. They are highly intelligent, active dogs and need to have a job to do. They are sharper than a box of knives and very quick to react so require careful and consistent training. They are on a completely different level to GSDs. Thorough research needs to be done before acquiring one of these dogs - a few people telling you that they are good pets is not sufficient.

I am sorry that you are in this position and I really hope you find the help that you need.

Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Does anyone know if anyone is in touch with @smokeybear? She knew the breed and had a lot of contacts.

20. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Honestly.....there is no quick fix for a Mal who is already ten months down the wrong road, because to put it bluntly, you are well over-dogged.
    I would guess that most of the issues you are struggling with is because you haven't been able to get through to her how you want her to behave, and she's now baffled and stressed (and a teenager).
    For the moment, use positive methods, as many have outlined here, and get someone to help you on a one to one basis soon.
    And she isn't 'badly behaved'. She's untrained and behaving like a dog.

tabelmabel, Sairy, kittih and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice