Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need help/advice for my 3 month old kitten with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kyaviana, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Kyaviana

Kyaviana PetForums Junior

Hello! I rescued this precious little guy when he was 6-7 weeks old and he’s been in relatively good health, likes to play, eats well etc. He is now 12 weeks old.

However since Thursday, he’s had smelly, soft stools, diarrhea, some flatuence and once- very mucus-y stool. I’m very concerned because I keep reading that diarrhea can quickly kill young kittens.

I took him to the vet twice already, the vet prescribed some liquid antibiotics and a high fiber wet cat food (Hills Science Diet, a brand I don’t like) to feed him for a week. Unfortunately, most of the antibiotic doesn’t make it into his mouth because he runs away and fights me when I try to give him the medicine. He’s also not eating the prescription food because he HATES Hills brand cat food. I’ve tried mixing it with his normal wet food (Wellness Kitten) to no avail, he literally eats around it.

He is acting normal, eating decently, plays and is inquisitive. The vet said his temperature, heart rate etc. were all normal as well and he tested negative for worms. The vet says it’s likely he just ate something he wasn’t supposed to but I am worried sick, what can I do to help my poor kitty? What could be wrong with him? Any tips for getting him to eat this food he dislikes or the medicine?

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I'm sure you will get lots of helpful advice here.
    For my part I can only suggest a bland diet of chicken poached in water. keeping the stock to add to the chicken meals. the life saver for me has been a probiotic! I use Fortiflora as all my cats have loved the taste (it smells like Oxo cubes lol) this should hopefully firm up his stools. Pumpkin is also good but I had no success with it at all it's a marmite thing. https://fetch.co.uk/pro-plan-veteri...fdJZkAHzXNdZ1OCGZhYaAr8eEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Kyaviana - aww what a cute little guy he is! :)

I agree with Soozi, to treat the diarrhoea/soft stools the bowel needs resting. Put kitty on a plain home cooked diet of chicken drumsticks & chicken stock. Nothing else except water.

The drumsticks can be cooked in water on the hob, or roasted in a pan in the oven (gas mark 5 for one hour) with 2 inches of water to make the stock. Cover the roasting pan with baking foil to keep the meat moist. (The roasting method conserves more nutrients than cooking on the hob).

Serve the chicken chopped, without the bone, and with plenty of the tasty cooking stock. The stock can be drained off and refrigerated over night so the fat can be skimmed off and saved for when kitty is better. You are left with a lovely nutritious jelly which can be kept in the fridge and an amount for each meal warmed in the microwave to liquify it. Feed 4 or 5 small meals a day.

This bland diet should stop the diarrhoea and kitty may not pass a stool for several days. As soon as he passes a formed stool switch him slowly on to a wet food diet. By "slowly" I mean start with a teaspoonful of cat food alongside his chicken on a separate dish. Wait 24 hours to see how his bowel copes. If all is OK increase to one dessertspoonful of the cat food, and see how things go. If OK continue to increase day by day and decrease the amount of chicken by the equivalent amount.

Which antibiotic has the vet prescribed? You may find it easier to administer tablets than a liquid. (Some of the liquid antibiotics taste horrible to cats). If tablets of the same thing can be crushed they can be hidden in food, or if they are small tabs they had be hidden inside a small piece of Easypill cat putty or a Pill Pocket. Did you try adding the liquid to his food btw? (not that you can really add it to cooked chicken).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Easypill-Gram-Individually-Wrapped-Bars/dp/B00NMKUIKC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3B69QHH697M6U&keywords=easypill+cat+putty&qid=1563795280&s=gateway&sprefix=easypill+cat+putty,aps,129&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenies-Pill-Pockets-FELINE-Chicken/dp/B001FSJCPK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3FX2U8AWVG1IA&keywords=pill+pockets+for+cats+uk&qid=1563795313&s=gateway&sprefix=pill+pockets,aps,129&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

If the chicken diet doesn't help then I advise you to ask the vet for stool samples to be tested at the Lab for infections and parasites. You will need to collect these yourself at home from the litter tray, on 3 different days. That way if there is an infection the correct antibiotic can be identified by the Lab to treat it.

I am not sure how one 'tests' for worms other than by inspecting the stools in the litter tray. But tapeworm, for example, may not be shed each time the cat defecates. One would need to check the stools on a number of days to be fairly certain there were no worms. If kitty had fleas when you rescued him the chances are he has tapeworm - if he has not been treated yet for worms. Panacur, as well as treating for worms, treats for Giardia infection which can cause diarrhoea.

Is it the Wellness Core Tender Cuts pouches you are feeding him? It is a good food, not specifically a kitten food, but a food for all stages of feline development, which is fine. I would keep to the chicken and turkey flavours, not the tuna ones.

Soozi likes this.
  4. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

As kitty has visited the vet I assume the vet has checked his worming treatment is up to date?
    Many of my kittens have had tummy upsets at one point or another and they have all responded to a bland diet - chicken cooked as described above, and/or cooked white fish. Provide that for a few days then gradually reintroduce their usual food.

Soozi likes this.
  5. Kyaviana

Thank you for the amazing and thorough advice! I ended up bringing three separate stool samples to the vet and in the last one, they found traces of roundworm, so I guess that explains the diarrhea. His deworming treatment starts tomorrow, should I still try to feed him poached chicken breast with broth or is it more important that he poops out the worms and then focus on settling his stomach?

6. Kyaviana

Thank you for the advice! When I first rescued him, we did a stool sample in which he tested negative for worms. However I’ve since brought three more separate stool samples and they found roundworms in the last one. Deworming treatment starts tomorrow. So should I still feed him chicken cooked in water, which I’ve heard can prevent them from pooping for several days, or should I continue to try and feed him the high fiber prescription wet food the vet gave me so that he poops out the worms?

7. Kyaviana

Thank you for the recommendation! Do you think giving him a probiotic would be better than the antibiotic, as the vet got back to me saying that a fecal sample I gave them did in fact, have roundworms in them. Should I still feed him the bland chicken or continue with the high fiber food?

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The worms will be killed by the worm treatment and won't do him any harm once they are dead. But I'd think it a good idea for him to excrete the chemicals of the worming treatment without it being in his bowel longer than necessary. The worming treatment may also give him diarrhoea. On the other hand it may cure the diarrrhoea.

You could wait a day after worming him to see how his stools are. If he still has diarrhoea then put him on the bland home cooked chicken diet. Note : it is chicken drumsticks (thigh meat) not breast meat. Not only is it tastier for cats but being a muscle meat it contains lots more taurine than breast meat. And taurine is good for cats.

#8 chillminx, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is better to give a probiotic after the course of antibiotics has been finished. Otherwise it is wasted as the AB kills off the "good" and the "bad" bacteria. (Why is he on antibiotics btw?)

I don't see he particularly needs a high fibre food if the diarrhoea is due to roundworms. Give him what he likes to eat.

Soozi likes this.
  10. Kyaviana

Oh sorry, I completely forgot to answer your questions. I feed him Wellness Kitten Pate, the chicken flavor. I’m located in the US so a lot of the recommended brands on this site seem unavailable or expensive to ship for me, unfortunately :(

Additionally the antibiotic the vet prescribed is amoxicillin, in a little bottle with a dropper.

11. Kyaviana

Oh yes, thank you for the feeding advice! I definitely would be using drumsticks not breast meat. I make a lot of soup stock at home for myself too, and can confirm that bone broth is tastier haha!

chillminx likes this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Ah OK, thanks. I remember now that when I read your first post I thought you were probably not in the UK. :)

Amoxicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic which does not need to be given as a liquid. There are tablets available for cats as Synulox which are very small and easy to give either crushed and added to strong smelling food, or hidden in Easypill Cat Putty (which is available in the US I recall - from Amazon).

Why is he on Amoxicillin? It may be that is just the worms causing his health issues. Amoxocillin is usually given for respiratory illness or dental or skin problems, not bowel issues.

13. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

I wouldn't stress about it. Give him the worming treatment and feed him the bland diet for a few days. It really won't matter too much and the bland diet will settle his tummy.

I see you are in the US, in the UK the usual advice is to worm kittens routinely.

https://icatcare.org/advice/worming-your-cat

14. Kyaviana

I’m not really sure why he’s on antibiotics, the antibiotics were prescribed before the vet found roundworms in his stool (the 3rd sample) because the first two samples I sent in when he started to have diarrhea tested negative.

Perhaps I just shouldn’t continue the antibiotics at all since we know it’s not a bacterial infection? He hates it and even though he’s supposed to be given two doses a day I’m lucky if I get half a droplet into his mouth over the course of a day. I have always been concerned about antibiotics killing both good and bad bacteria.

15. Kyaviana

I live in the US! When I first brought him to a vet, they gave him one round of vaccinations and had me bring in a stool sample. That stool sample was negative for worms and after that the vet did not mention any deworming treatment.

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well I can't tell you to disregard what your vet has told you to do. But if it were my cat, I would hold off the antibiotics for a few days until the worm treatment has had a chance to work and then see how he is. As I mentioned Amoxicillin is not the most effective antibiotic for bowel infections anyway (if he does have a bowel infection)

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As I mentioned earlier one can't tell from inspecting only one stool sample if there are worms or not, so it is routine in the UK, as Ottery has said, for kittens to be wormed after they arrive at their new home and again 4 weeks after that. The breeder or the Shelter may or may not have wormed the kitten before they left for their new home.

18. Kyaviana

Thank you very much! I think I will do that as I don’t feel comfortable giving him antibiotics either.

19. Kyaviana

My kitty is a rescue, I found him outside in one of my car tires so I’m sure he didn’t get treated before I found him. Moving forward, I will definitely be vigilant about deworming him and checking him regularly.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice