Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need groomers help plz

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Charn5225, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Charn5225

Charn5225 PetForums Newbie

I took my 2 year old Pomeranian to a new groomer yesterday, my regular one couldn't fit me in for two weeks so thought I would give this newly opened groomer a go as it's literally around the corner from me. I'm aware that poms have two furs and they shouldn't get clippered short, for summer I do usually get more off than her normal trim as she's quite fluffy but this groomer has cut it so close and even clippered her head so short, it's uneven in place she has given my dog a cone head and I'm quite horrified to see she has also cut nearly all of my dogs whiskers off, I have never seen this before she literally has little Stubbs where her usually long whiskers are, and now she is acting so strange laying in her bed and not really bothering when I try to play with her, can I also say say that the groomer was twenty mins late to the appointment and when we pick our Pom up and realised what the groomer had done we rang her to complain and she got her friend who is nothing to do with the business to have a go at us!? I just want reassurance that this groom is basically rubbish and she shouldn't have cut her whiskers right off? Thanks in advance for any help

Attached Files:

2. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Sorry but i wouldn't have recognised it as a pom. If you hadn't said.....i personally think its not a great cut and definitely not in keeping with the breed

Would you be able to post a PIC of your dog before so i can see how your usual groomer does it as a comparison

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

What did you ask for?

While dogs do use their whiskers, many will have them clipped off during grooming or specifically for showing for whatever reason; its not inherently terrible.

4. Charn5225

Thank you for your reply, this is a pic of my Pom before

Attached Files:

5. Charn5225

I asked for a trim for the summer so as I usually keep her fluffy at her normal groomers could she take a little bit more off with the scissors, but am sure I have heard something that a Pom has two furs and shouldn't be clippered as short as she has done it, she looks like a baby lamb

6. Charn5225

I also asked for her nails to be done but I never asked to get her whiskers chopped off I thought that was given that you don't do that unless obviously specified for dog shows and even then they just trim them a little but she has cut them down to where they are not even a cm long

7. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Just to clarify there is no issue with a dog having their whiskers cut off completely let alone short. Most long haried dogs have their faces shaved to keep hair out of their eyes/mouths and have the cut off completley with no issue

fernlady likes this.
  8. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

If its not the cut you asked for and you were specific with the groomer on what you wanted i can see why you would be shocked and angry....

Though it doesn't bode well if you phoned to complain and the groomer put someone else on the line to be rude to you....

You might just have to chalk it up as a bad experience and move on

Picklelily likes this.
  9. Charn5225

yes I have just put it down as lesson learned not to use her again nothing I can do, I just wanted clarification that i am not in the wrong, she and her friends are emailing me on facebook having a go as I left a 1 star review was all, thanks for your reply

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If you asked for a trim for the summer, I would assume you wanted her cut short and clearly so did she (I'm not a groomer). If you only wanted paws shaped, hygiene area trimmed, feathering thinned etc, then really you needed to say that. Miscommunication on both sides, IMHO.

11. Charn5225

I asked for a summer trim with the scissors though not a complete shave, a proper dog groomer should know you don't shave a Pom has they have two furs and this can cause early alopecia and there fur to grow back patchy

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

There are lots of owners of double coated breeds who have them shaved. Doesn't make it right, but I'm sure it's a common request.

13. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would say unless you completely and utterly made yourself clear on what you wanted then you can't complain, just asking for a summer trim is very ambiguous, I've only ever taken my dog to the groomers once and gave them very very strict instructions on what I did and didn't want trimmed and how much I wanted trimmed off.

14. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Having reading a lot of threads like this, I am so never having a dog that needs to be groomed.

15. Charn5225

I did, I said for her to have a trim with scissors but she's shaved her all over completely, i even sent her a photo before hand of what she has done for her to refer too, I specifically said scissors no clippers

16. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

A good groomer can use scissors to cut hair very short...

Such as a good hairdresser can cut hair with scissors very short without the need for clippers.

Both take longer but can be achieved.

I think their has been son miscommunication especially as when you said pom, I was actually expected something more fluffier, a traditional pom coat. However with you keeping your dog's coat fairly short then I can see the miscommunication in summer cut.

17. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

My hairdresser cuts the hair on the back of my head to a Number Four when it's too wet to use the clippers. You can't tell the difference.

lullabydream likes this.
  18. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

In my experience decent groomers ask multiple questions about exactly how much you want taking off and how you want your dog to look. They are the professional, it's their reputation if they end up doing something the client didn't want. If the owner asked for 'just a trim' then the groomer should have asked for clarification as to what length they wanted. And harassing the op with messages on facebook is just inexcusable.

Jamesgoeswalkies and jamat like this.
  19. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Fully agree

The groomer i use with Alfie actually has a file on him listing different body parts and which clippers she used on them....

The last clip WS really short this time i asked for less off the body as it was still cold out.....she looked at her records and adjusted to clipper number to suit my request knowing what she had done before......

Very professional keeping detailed notes on Alfie like that

evel-lin likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice