Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need gerbil advice asap please!!!

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by MotherOfSmallPets, Jun 6, 2019.

1. MotherOfSmallPets

MotherOfSmallPets PetForums Newbie

have taken my little Rico to the vets today as he’s been lethargic and (as expected) they was unsure of what is wrong with him; we’ve been given antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication, HOWEVER, the antibiotics need to go in his water which is shared with his brother(?) Link - will this be okay? we have nowhere to quarantine Rico and to be honest i think that may just cause him more stress anyway :( please if anybody has any advice or experience with this let me know what to do - i just really want my little boy to get better

2. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Could you try mixing the antibiotics with something tasty? A vegetable baby food maybe?

3. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Have you got a tiny syringe? You could try mixing the antibi with a little water and syringing it into him, slowly and carefully as you don't want it going in his lungs
    I know I'm a rat person, but over the years we've kept most rodents, and, I've never added antibis to their drinking water, as you can't know how much they've actually had before the next water change, I've always, even with fancy mice and multi's syringe dosed them

noushka05 likes this.
  4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hi, first of all I'm sorry to hear about little Rico.
    Re the antibiotics did the vet say it has to be put in water, or was it more a suggestion? Might be worth giving them a ring and checking.
    When I had to give a gerbil antibiotics I put the dose in / on something really tasty, small enough portion that it would be eaten in one go. As has already been suggested a small amount of baby food is a good one, or a sugar free cereal (I used cheerios once, the antibiotics soaked into the cheerio).
    I hope little Rico gets better.

noushka05 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice