Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need garden advice please.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jetsmum, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Does anyone know how to make the weeds called horses/mares tails die off compleatly. Under differant peoples advice I've tried

1 Pulling them up - they come back
    2 Chopping them down - they come back
    3 Boiling water - they come back.
    4 Boiling salted water - they come back.
    5 Kill the ground with salt - they come back

I've got to be very careful about weedkillers, cos I have a dog and there are lots of cats that go in the garden. They are just coming through and in a couple of days the garden will look like a prehistoric jungle.
    Any advice that doesn't involve a flamethrower will be greatly appreciated.

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Paddy says: you either have to dig the whole root up and burn it, or scrape the surface off the stalk with your nail and using a brush put on roundup or similar weedkiller on.. Check safe for pets though, paddy thinks quite a lot of the weedkillers are safe for dogs and cats after ten mins

3. Roundup does not hurt animals afterit has dried!

4. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Napalm?:eek:

5. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

They grow so fast that by the morning there'll be now way to tell one from another. Once they start growing they just take off and make a miniture forest. It could look quite pretty if it could be controlled, but there's no way to control these monsters.

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

We have them in the Allotement , other the years they have got less, but hard work, they just come up everywhere x

7. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

If you have a recurring weed you need to dig it up with root which if it is a weed it generally has one root.. you need to pull up before they go into seed.. Then burn the weed..
    The seeds can lie dormant from previous years and when the conditions are good for the seed it will grow.. so Im afraid its a continuous thing that you will have to do yearly..

Just be thank full its in your garden and not a weed you have to do this with in a 10 acre field.. :eek:

8. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

The problem is that's only a small garden but there are hundreds of the blighters. They all come at once and just spread like anything. They grow under the fencing, under the wall,even in the wall, in, round and through the doorstep. It's like some biblical plague. The strange thing is, we'd never had any at all until we had our garden done about 10 years ago. Since then it's got worse each year and nothing seems to stop it.

9. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Well Im afraid.. Im not into these weed killers.. Much easier I think to pull the blighters when the ground is soft or dig them out.. They will have hundreds of seeds on each weed.. and if you allow the weed to get to the stage where it is about to start letting the seeds go.. Your in trouble with the weeds.. :(

Used to have to pull Ragwort out of the fields then burn it.. I have pulled thousands of them up.. They can grow pretty quick.. I have known people be threatened with prosecution for having this on their land.. although it is stated it isn't illegal.. :confused:

Yet you see it along roadsides.. :eek:

10. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Concrete the whole garden :D:blink: :eek:

11. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

it's funny you should say that. The same gardener paved over my back garden. He told me there would only be minimal growth round the edges to worry about. No problem there then. But (there's always a but isn't there) I now have masses of brambles, where there were not before and enough weeds to feed an army of weed eating things.
    It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't paid out more than I really could afford, to try and get it looking nice and easy to care for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice