Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need an opinion. [Urgent]

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by BrokenGoddess, Feb 22, 2019.

1. BrokenGoddess

BrokenGoddess PetForums Newbie

My chinchilla is turning 3 this year and hasn't been to a vet yet (or so the previous owner said)... At the beggining of this week I noticed something in the very corners of his eyes, almost unoticebe. I also noticed that he changed his sleeping place, he now sleeps on the bottom of the cage rather than a platform or hammock. Today, as I put him back into the cage after letting him out for a while, I noticed his breathing was slightly different from normal. He still has appetite and is active and I already talked to the vet but the vet who specializes is exotic animals will only come in on wednesday (4 days from now).

I know that the things I noticed could be something health related that absolutely needs to be checked. But do you think it could wait till Wednesday, I personaly think that it doesn't seem all to bad right now... I'm still super worried though.

Should I rush him to a vet or wait for my vet till wednesday? Or should I just see if anything changes and then take him?

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

What exactly have you noticed regarding your chinchilla's eyes? Are the eyes damp or weepy? Is there any sign of dampness around the mouth or chest? Is your chin still eating hay and chewing wooden toys? In what way is the breathing different?

3. BrokenGoddess

Hmmm... I'm not sure how to describe it. It's like eye gunk but very little of it in the corner, which I first thought could be normal due to sleeping.
    About hay and toys, he does eat and chew yes.
    Breathing... It didn't sound or seem to troubled. I was just noticing his side go in slightly. It also stopped but went on after a few seconds. Could it been from running around since he was let out. I did noticed it outiside the cage already. Maybe I never payed enough attention to notice before?

Update... I waited through the night and just checked up on him, he seems to be sleeping perfectly calm.

4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

How long had your chin been out exercising? I would monitor the situation carefully, and if you feel that there is any signs of changes is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping, or any signs of deterioration in your chin, then request an emergency appointment with your vet.

5. BrokenGoddess

I think it's been just a bit past 30 minutes before he went inside.

I will be monitoring him and also scedule an appointment for wednesday since he needs a check up anyway. The fact that he hasn't been to a vet till now bothers me so, I will definitely take him this week.

6. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Chins do not need to see a vet unless there is a health issue. Please do not take your chin to a vet just for the sake of it. It is a very stressful experience, and can do more harm than good.

7. BrokenGoddess

Hm alright... Thanks for all the help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice