Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Traceygcc, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Traceygcc

Traceygcc PetForums Newbie

At the moment we have 1 cat and 1 dog, they both get on well.
    Yesterday another cat came into our house and has wasted no time making it's self at home.
    Both our dog and cat are neteured males. The other cat is a lovely cat, he has a nice kitten nature about him but our cat is still wary of him and our dog won't go near him. Do you think this is because the other cat hasn't been neteured?
    I'm not sure wether the cat has been abandoned or not but he seems hungry alot.

2. Both your babies - no matter neutered or not - could be a bit territorrial. It might take some time to adjast. Normally with time they all might get on well. If you cant trace new cats owners - get him to the Vets for a check up and neuter him/her as well.

3. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Don`t be hasty, you don`t know who this cat belongs to, if anybody. So in the mean time you can feed him, but if you start this be prepared to become his adopted family in the future. Your dog and cat will be wary of him, as this is natural territorial behaviour. I myself have been adopted by a homeless cat, but i know she is homeless because distant neighbours just moved and left her.

4. woodstockbitten

woodstockbitten PetForums Newbie

Hi, as others have said, this cat may well belong to someone who is desperately looking for him. You could ask Cats Protection to take him in and rehome him; they will make a fairly professional effort to find the owner. You might also think of taking him to a local animal rescue centre or vet and have him scanned for a microchip. There are also many online lost and found sites (I will gladly give you a whole list of links but among the best are lostyourpet.net, animalsearchuk.com and mymoggy.com) where you could look to see if he's been posted as lost and where you could post him as found, this apart from ringing local animal welfare agencies/ rescue centres/ vets who often have lost and found lists. -- As someone whose cat has been missing for 2 1/2 years (he is chipped & I'm still desperate to find him), I'd really like to know that people who find apparently stray animals are doing everything they can to find the owner! Good luck & I hope you'll keep us informed. Best wishes, Katherine

5. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Bear in mind that he could belong to someone and he is just being a cheeky fellow trying to get food from people. Don`t rush into anything to you are quite sure.

6. Traceygcc

Traceygcc PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice.
    The cat hasn't left really since coming here, he has only left to go to the toilet.
    I think i'd wait a good year before getting him netured due to the circumstances.
    If my cat had gone missing for 5 days i'd be out looking for him.
    I think one of the other problems apart from being territorial is i think this cat is younger than ours and he's very playful and keeps chasing our cat as part of a game and our cat just hisses at him. Our cat is only 2 at the most.
    We've given him plenty of oppourtunities to go home.He gets on with my daughter too.

7. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Hi Tracey, I know it's heart over mind but as much as you feel for this young cat,please be mindful of his health as he may bring to you Fleas,worms and other possible diseases and lots of heartache. Keep him totally seperate from your other animals and give him his own litter tray,feeding dishes etc,i know it's hard mentally and emotionally but until your told otherwise assume he is ill-i don't mean lock him up on his own but just like when your in a hospital ward:) Ask around locally ie:Vets,put posters or ad in local paper as he may just have forgot his way home and cats do go fair distances:)Good luck Tracey with you on his side he'll be just fine i'm sure:)Do please keep us updated:)

8. Witchy

Witchy PetForums Newbie

As SK above says, put posters up in your surrounding area, shops, on lamp posts, bus stops etc saying 'unneutered male cat found and [approximate age] contact [000] if it's your cat!'.

If anybody calls, get them to describe him to you, colour of fur, eyes (probably still blue if he's kitten young) and any characteristics like a scar, bit of ear missing etc - Obviously if it matches his description then you've found the owner.

Unfortunately full young male cats will wander and, if he's escaped by accident, he will just keep on wandering!!

Good luck.

9. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I had a nasty incident from the other side of this about a year ago. One of my cats was being bullied by another and was spending as much time as possible outside the house (I live in a very safe area and have a large garden backing onto allotments). My cats spend a lot of time round at my neighbour's (neighbour has made a rod for her own back by continually offering them tuna and chicken!) and so I thought nothing of it when this cat kept coming home reeking of perfume - which was rather silly of me because my neighbour doesn't reek of perfume.

Anyway, last January the cat disappeared and I went through the lost stolen or strayed routine - only to find that the cat turned up in my garden five days later having been spayed! To say I was livid would be an understatement - the cat concerned was the last of a breeding line and I had planned kittens for her that year. Once I calmed down (which took several days) I realised that it was largely my fault for not having noticed about the perfume (the cat had been reeking of it for some months), and I immediately got all my remaining cats microchipped. Nevertheless, the fact remains that the woman who thought she had found a nice cat that she wanted to keep, could have saved a lot of trouble if she had put a collar on the cat because that would have given me an immediate indication that someone thought they had been adopted. The woman concerned lives only three houses away but apparently it had not occurred to her that I had cats.

Someone I heard of recently, had a cat go missing for just five days, they had moved house and the cat had returned to its old haunts. During those five days, someone had had the cat neutered!

Years ago, when my first Burmese had kittens, I lived in flats next to a parade of shops, a safe area where the cats could and did come for walks with me. On one occasion I went into a shop for just one item, and when I came out, the cat had managed to persuade a well meaning but gullible couple that she had been abandoned.

The bottom line is that the chances are very high that any cat that adopts you actually belongs to someone. My parents have acquired about six cats this way simply because they provide gourmet food and thus attract any cat that comes within sniffing distance. At least they have never had anyone's cat neutered. Such people are, quite frankly, a bit of a pain (and I can say that even though they are my parents!)

I really hope all vets routinely scan every cat that is presented for surgery, but I doubt if they do. I will never again leave a cat unchipped even if it is an indoor cat or a stud cat - you just can't forsee every possibility.

Liz

10. Saynamore

Saynamore Banned

No, the simple answer to that Liz is that you dont let your cats go outdoors! Mine are all bred to live inside and know nothing different, at least that way they will never......be roadkill, got by foxes, got by garden poisons, fleas, tick, lice, stolen, need I rabbit on? :eek:

11. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Obviously that is an option. It's not one I have ever taken yet, though I will have to do so with the pedigree cats I purchased recently. Yes, letting cats out is a risk, but then so is letting children outside, and freedom has a great deal to be said for it. You can't remove all risks - such as the (admittedly tiny) risk of your house catching fire with all your cats locked inside, as happened years ago to two different breeders I heard about :(

A totally cat proof garden is undoubtedly the best of both worlds, but hideously expensive if your garden is a big as mine. One day ...

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice