Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

need advice with new kitten:(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by purrlover, Aug 8, 2009.

1. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

hi , we got our new kitten last sunday (2nd aug) rosie on sunday night developed a runny nose and sneezing badly (this as since gone , with a trip to vets and antibiotics) we also have other pets in the house an adult cat, and a 7 year old westie ,
    rosie will not entertain being in the same room as the westie(who loves cats and wouldnt hurt a fly) even nearly a week after being here,we introduced them slowly(over 2days) rosie is spitting and snarling , growling the lot!!:(
    we have been spending time with both animals seprately but its getting really hard ,millie (westie) feels left out when its rosies turn to come in the lounge, when we put rosie in her room (we have a room just for her) she cries a lot ,and wants to rejoin the family ,
    now on to my other problem! cos rosie had a bit of a cold , my vet told me to keep her away from stella (my moggy) which we did untill last night , well their 1st meeting didnt go well either!!! this time rosie didnt mind but stella went crazy trying to scratch her!!:(:(

i am at a complete loss on what to do next ..... please help :confused:

oh and to top it all ... we have a new kitten coming aug 29!!! (im starting a new breeding programme)

hope you good people have a solution for me , i just want a happy home !!

julie xx

p.s sorry if this is in wrong forum , i wasnt sure where it fitted in :eek:ut:

2. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties.
    I wish I had some advice for you. Maybe they just need some time to get used to each other. And give treats when together so they associate time together as nice? I don't know...sorry i'm usless. But hope someone can help.

Good luck.

3. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

It's only been a WEEK! Some animals don't accept one and other for ages, if at all, sometimes they just put up and avoid each other.

4. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

I don't have any advice for you but I didn't want to read and run! ;) It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Just percivere with it. When the new kitten arrives Rosie may settle down with your westie as she'll have a new playmate to back her up!

Keep us posted on how you get on :)

xx

5. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi we just got a new kitten a few weeks ago and have a large dog, when the kitten first saw her she was spitting and all his hair was standing on end! lol But I've had the dog and kitty in the same room everyday for a few hours at a time so that the kitten gets used to the dog from day one (& vice vera) and now he doesnt really pay any attention to the dog.

I can sympathise as its very stressful at first but it is very early days & things should work out fine once the other pets know kitty is here to stay!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice