Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Need advice with my rabbits please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kittens&Kits, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Kittens&Kits

Kittens&Kits PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have 3 rabbits, Fergus, Fudge and milky way (I didn't name them), 2 of them are miniature lop, Milky and Fudge, and the other is a lion head, Fergus.
    Milky and Fergus are about 5 months old and Fudge is 4 almost 5 months old. we bought them all together and they all got along. Apparently they were all girls but Fugde is looking to be a boy, the other two have been fighting a little bit and Fudge has been humping.
    I've read that humping and fighting can be a dominance thing, but I'm worried that Fudge is a boy and we have 2 litters of kits on the way.
    They will be going to the vets and we are going to neuter them as this is what we have done for all of our rabbits in the past.
    What could it be?
    Could it be boredom? Or could it be because they're not getting along?
    Any advice will be helpful.
    Thank you

2. MollyL

MollyL PetForums Newbie

Humping can indeed be related to dominance in rabbits. I have a neutered male/female pair and the female (mini lop) is always the one humping the male (lionhead) to put him in his place. The only time I've seen my male to this was when they were initially introduced, because they hadn't yet worked out who was boss and well, he gave it a go and failed!!

There is a chance one could be male, rabbits aren't always easy to sex! However there's also a high chance this is all down to hormones because rabbits are territorial and also it's hard to keep a group of three because of dominance issues, than it is a pair, especially all females.

Hopefully things will calm down after neutering but be prepared because it can take a few weeks for hormones to settle and if fights are breaking out be careful because rabbits don't always forgive!

3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Member

They are just the right age for hormones to be kicking in, which can mean both dominance and mating. I would definitely get them to the vets within the next few days as the girls will be becoming fertile now so if one is a boy...very early pregnancies can be terminated but it has to be caught very early.

Monitor the humping and make sure it doesn't escalate to fighting. Make sure they have enough space to get away from each other and have time outs too.

4. Kittens&Kits

Thankyou, they have a hutch suitible for 4 rabbits and access to a run at all times we also let them out into a cornered off section of the garden everyday. I didn’t think the vets could terminate rabbit pregnancies so that’s great to know in case fudge is a boy. They have been fighting but only the other two , milky and fergus. If those two wasn’t fighting then I would be less worried. I thought their hormones kicked in at three months so I’m a little less worried now, thankyou so much. I had visions of 31 rabbits in the hutch don’t think anyone can deal with that many! They will be going to the vets ASAP!

5. Kittens&Kits

I was thinking it was a dominance thing but there was only 1 humping and the other 2 were fighting, I think that was the most worrying thing as we got 3 of the same gender so that they wouldn’t fight as much, we’ve always gotten the same amount of each sex as that is what we’ve always been told. We had ago at sexing fudge but we couldn’t tell the difference and we’re working on taming fudge as she/he is quite timid so we didn’t want to stress her/him out too much. I didn’t know that 3 would have more dominance issues then 2, we’ve always had 2 but this time we got three in case one dies the other wouldn’t be alone. Our last rabbit we had hated other rabbits and hated our cats except one, he grew up with another rabbit but sadly she died a few years after we got him and since then he wasn’t very friendly towards us but bonded really well with one of my cats, I managed to bond with him but he would only allow me to stroke him whilst we both ate red pepper.
    Oh no, I hope they do calm down, I’ve noticed a difference already in milky.

Thankyou so much for this information it was very useful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice