Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

need advice - unwanted cat visitors!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lillylove, Apr 18, 2011.

1. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

Hi all,

I have a one year old female cat, and we live on the 1st floor in some flats. She has the opportunity to go out now she has been spayed, but she is too scared to.

My downstairs neighbour has a male cat (not sure if neutered or not) and we don't really speak much... she is strange and not very friendly. I have told her this is an issue, but she hasn't done anything. I imagine that the cat doesn't really want to be shut indoors and causes a fuss, so she lets it out but it has no way to get back in once she is asleep (no cat door).

She often isn't at home for a few days at a time. One of the other neighbours got sick of this cat crying and wailing at all hours and started feeding the cat and made it a bed with a blanket outside the owners front door. She also told the owner that the cat was hungry and wailing, and she wasn't going to let this cat in or feel sorry for it because it was nothing to do with her but it was annoying and she felt sorry for it

Possibly stupidly by me, I felt sorry for it too about a month ago, when no one appeared to come home for about 3 days. It started coming up to my door, where it could smell my cat, food and people etc and crying. I gave it some food but took the food right down to the door where the cat lives. I don't stroke it and I have never let it in.

Now even when the owners are home, this cat will not go away. It sits on the other side of my front door every night (during the early hours!!!), scratching, crying, hissing and spitting at my cat. My cat understandably is really upset by this. She has attacked me when I have gone down to her to calm this, she is scratching all the carpet up and hisses and spits at us when we open the door now. She is way smaller than this cat, and won't go outside at all now.
    Also, this is very noisy and is keeping me awake and annoying everyone else.

Tonight I did the only thing I could think of and cut up a lemon on my front door mat :eek:
    Any other help for this issue?
    If I phone the RSPCA she is totally going to know it is me who has phoned. I am not sure the cat is neglected, because now I know she is in but it is choosing to come to my house. Argh!

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Hmm Im not really sure. I mean you can;t call the RSPCA cos a cat is annoying you, and if your cat doesnt want to go out there is no reason that she has to, especially if she is scared.

I would just try and deter the cat if you dont want it coming round, no more food, the citrus might work. I mean its coming round as it has been fed at yours before so associates your house with food. That connection needs to be broken.

Is your front door an internal door? IE the cat is roaming the halls? If this is the case you should be able to complain to the building managers, as I imagine thats not allowed. If its an external door (not sure how thatd work on a 1st floor but possible!) then theres not a great deal you can do about it except not encourage it at all)

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Sometimes you just can't tell a cat where it is meant to be living.. They do kind of decide for themselves..

Im sorry but i think the only way to resolve this if you have tried talking already .. would be to call the RSPCA..

Especially as you have stated the owner is not their for several days at a time.. I mean who is gonna feed the cat then..

#3 momentofmadness, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. lillylove

Yep, we have an external door which is how the cat is getting in, but some other neighbours are in and out 24/7 (noisily) and have NO regard for the door being closed, ever. I suspect that one of them doesn't have a key to the external door, so they keep leaving it open.
    Also the girl who owns the cat often leaves the door open, as it means she doesn't have to keep letting it in her front door or leave her windows open, as it has somewhere to sleep at night (yeah... my front door mat!)
    I often go downstairs at 1am and close the external door, and there is a sign asking them to close it, but as with flats... no one really cares very much!
    Hoping the citrus does help, will have to wait and see. I have never fed it since that day.

The reason I mentioned the RSPCA is because she keeps going off for days on end and not feeding or sheltering it. It has no collar and I doubt it is microchipped either.

5. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Do you know that nobody comes in to feed the cat (ie you see it outside pretty much constantly or anything) Just i know when I lived in a flat I barely knew anybody else existed in the flats!

6. lillylove

The other neighbour who said she fed it a few times is now refusing to feed it, because it is getting expensive.

The reason I think it isn't fed when she goes away, is that the cat sits outside her back door downstairs literally crying and crying and crying loudly all night. This is why the neighbours and I felt sorry for it so much, it gets hungry and distressed. She doesn't appear to have anyone come back to feed it.
    I know she is away from the state of the cat! It is always outside.
    She is the sort of neighbour that when she is home, she and her daughter sit indoors allllll day long watching loud TV, with the child crying and screaming also.

If she is home and feeding it, it doesn't do the really loud crying in the garden, it just does the scratching at my door.

7. momentofmadness

Your obviously very concerned so I maybe a quick call to the RSPCA.. or even speak to the people who own the flats.. But then again if you do this you risk them saying no pets at all..

8. lillylove

The next time she disappears for a few days, would it be mean to call the RSPCA?
    Because she isn't here to witness the distress of the cat, she doesn't really take us seriously (or care) as to how upset and hungry it gets. She also knows we will get annoyed and feed it anyway.

I think you are right about my landlord, if I make fuss he will just say no pets now then. Up till now, he doesn't mind.

I want to move anyway. I am sick of living in flats with neighbours who don't look after their cats and don't know how to use a rubbish bin :p

9. momentofmadness

I would just think about the welfare of he cat.. Is it fair for it to not know when its next meal is? or when it may next get a cuddle..

10. lillylove

:(
    I feel like I have to not think about that too much otherwise I will crack and start letting it come in, and feed it, therefore I think the RSPCA is the better option. I suppose I can't keep hoping she will come to her own senses and look after her cat better. God forbid your pet comes between you and your social life

11. Erzs

Erzs PetForums Member

If I couldn't take the cat in myself and I was concerned for it's welfare, with good reason (which I believe you have), I would definitely call the RSPCA.

You are causing no harm by calling them and asking for advice. Explain the situation and if they see it fit that the cat be taken off her that is not your fault.

People who can't handle the responsibility of an animal shouldn't be allowed one.

They may ask you how often she is away, how often the cat is at your door, how often it relies on you or neighbours for food etc. It's probably a good idea to start tracking this, or if you can remember and plan to call soon all the better.

12. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

I,am with Erzs on This one. The neighbour does not care much for the cat if she goes away For Days on End, And The poor cat has to fend for itself. This is no better than cruelty to an Animal. I would report it Now.

13. GingerHound

GingerHound PetForums Member

It doesn't sound to me like the cat owner cares one way or the other about her pet, so I doubt if she would miss him if he was taken away. Is there a local cat charity that could re-home the cat?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice