Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need advice regarding returning cat and new puppy.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ralph16, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Ralph16

Ralph16 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I’m new here and this is probably going to be a rather long story but I don’t want to miss out any details and I’m hoping someone will be able to give me a bit of advice about the current situation with my cat.

We got our cat Ralph as a kitten in 2016 when my daughter was 1. At the time we lived in a top floor apartment so we kept him as a house cat but we still had him neutered. The next year we moved into a house where we still live now, I was dubious about letting him out as we live on a main road but after a month or so Ralph started obviously wanting to go venturing, I put this down to him being a tom cat. After living at the house after a month of Ralph being allowed out he went missing, we were devastated, we did everything we could think of to find him and one day I got a call off a builder working on a woman’s house who had seen one of my posters and said Ralph was in her window.. long story short a woman who lived a few miles away had stolen him she had 30+ cats inside her house, some stolen, some strays, the RSPCA were involved and dealt with the other cats and we had Ralph back home.

A few months after this happened we decided to get another cat and we got Bella, they settled in really well together, I would say Bella was more loving towards him than he was to her but they would cuddle together and lick each other and rarely fight everything was fine until this year.. Ralph started coming home less but he would still come back every few days, I put this down to someone else feeding him and although I wasn’t happy about it I wasn’t sure what I could do. I knew he liked to go in a lot of the neighbours houses but it got to March/April time and he stopped coming home altogether, I did the same as last time posting on local area groups on facebook etc to try and find him but no luck this time and then our other cat Bella who always just stayed in the back garden somehow ended up going around the front of the house and got knocked over and killed by a car, to say I was devastated would be an understatement.

After crying myself to sleep most nights but feeling like the house was empty without a pet me and my partner decided to get a dog. We got Vinnie our cocker spaniel around 3 weeks ago and although he didn’t replace the cats he did help with mending my broken heart so here’s where it gets interesting...

We were out on a walk with Vinnie and I was talking to my partner when the puppy stopped walking, I turned to look round at why he stopped and Ralph was sat there staring at us!! He had dirt all over his face but had definitely been being fed and if anything seemed a little overweight. We brought him back home and we’ve been keeping him in ever since. Only allowing him upstairs and keeping him away from the puppy altogether as I don’t want to stress him out. We’ve taken him to the vets to restart his booster injections and treated him for fleas and worms, the vet said he is healthy but he’s just not the same cat anymore. He doesn’t want to be cuddled or stroked, he’s stopped purring, he used to always come onto our bed and nap but he just jumps straight off. He sits at doors and windows trying to escape and go back outside but I just can’t allow it since Bella got killed on the road. We move house in a couple of weeks and it’s a quiet cul-de-sac so we will maybe start letting him back out once we are settled there. I just can’t work out why he stopped coming home, where we found him was literally a 3 min walk from our road, he could have made his way back easily. The only reason I can think is that he would have had to cross the main road, which he has done plenty of times but once he had a close call and got nipped by a car which resulted in no major injury but he was limping for a day or two and hid away but he continued to cross the road after that incident i like to think he was very street smart. He’s always had a loving home here and always been around my 4 year daughter but now if she goes to stroke him he goes to bite and scratch her, he’s basically just not a nice cat anymore he’s very grumpy and it hurts me that he doesn’t seem happy but I’m not sure what to do for the best? Will he ever come round to being the cat he once was?

Apologies again for the long winded story but I’m really grateful for anyone who has read this far and can advise me in any sort of way.

Thanks,
    Kim

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If he’s only just returned home he needs time to adjust.

Ralph16 likes this.
  3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Aww he looks lovely! It is always devastating to lose a cat to a car accident it happened to me too. :(
    I would say you need to build a catio or cat run at the back of your house if possible, or use netting and brackets on top of your fences to fully cat proof your garden. That way Ralph can enjoy some fresh air and the excitement of seeing birds and butterflies without any danger of being able to run off or get knocked down. That would probably help him to relax and be a happy chappy again.

Ralph16 and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice