Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need advice please.......

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by B3rnie, Apr 9, 2011.

1. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Right not sure if this is a common one or not lol, but as I only have one rabbit that has this issue I am gonna say this isn't normal.

Right, here is the problem....

Reed is a messy bunny, no if, and's or buts. He is 100% boy and likes to get as dirty as possible :-/ Currently the 3 R's have a couple of bowls for their water, for 3 reasons really, I feel it is more natural for them to lap up water than using a bottle, with a bottle all Reed does is chew the nozzle because the water doesn't come out fast enough apparently lol and thirdly all 3 will choose to drink from a bowl.
    The problem with this is that Reed dribbles when he is drinking :blink: sooo even with consistent grooming this is what I end up with:-

[​IMG]

As you can see it is starting to get a bit red and sore
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sooo, any ideas on how to sort this out? His teeth have been fully checked out, including x-rays so it isn't a teeth problem. :confused:

2. wacky

wacky PetForums Member

i would go back to the bottle he will drink it if he is thirsty or you are going to have one sore bunnie

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

that isn't an option because as I stated he chews the nozzle which in turn will effect his teeth. I would rather deal with this than have to up his dentals....

4. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Probably a very obvious answer but have you tried the biggest waterbottle you can find? Like the ones for giant rabbits etc. You would think the flow of those would be a bit faster/thicker (cant think of a better word!)

He looks so sore, poor thing.

5. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I have 12 1.1L bottles so yeah he used to have the biggest bottle you can get but he still chews the nozzle :( oh and when I say chew, I mean proper biting at and running his teeth down the metal so it really does effect his teeth which is why I had to remove the bottle in the first place (my other buns have a water bottle and a bowl so can choose which they prefer.)
    I'm just out of ideas, and as you said he looks sore so really want to sort it :(

I'm thinking I might have to resort to a bib or something :lol:

6. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

The answer is simple hun and am surprised it's not occurred to you before....bunny bibs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!! Am joking....but maybe one of the tie around...not velcro ones? And I have NO idea how safe this is....but maybe cake his chin in a waterproof emolient cream for babies. My 2 year old niece (can't believe I am likening her to a bunny) but is the same...dribbling constantly and her poo little chin at the moment!!! :( But my sis has got her cream which does seem to be reducing it. Just something that will be waterproof protecting his skin? Otherwise I am not sure hun and I have completely wasted your time reading this!!

7. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Apologies....I have insulted your intelligence ;) Just seen this!

8. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

the answer is simple, sit there and syringe feed him water on demand hoomin slave!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Could you vaseline that area? It would waterproof it maybe and stop it getting sore? Vaseline I think is safe aswell.

*Heidi*

10. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

you could try something like these.

I'm not 100% sure how well they'd work for rabbits but we're going to try them soon. Keeps the water out of the way and clean so should stop his chin getting too wet, but should be easier to lap up like a bowl so he might not get frustrated and resort to chewing?

11. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Hmm that does look like it could work, the only thing I'm worried about is the size of the bowl thing, it looks far too small for any rabbit tbh.
    I could be wrong, you'll have to et me know how they work out. I think you have the right idea, but I'm just not sure on that particular design :eek:

12. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Sudocreme! Completely safe to use on rabbits, I was adviced by my vet to use it on Daisy when she was ill. Its a nappy rash barrier cream so stops anything getting through to the skin, it also dries and comes off on its own so won't leave him greasy. You'll probably need to put a bit on a couple of times a day.

13. BattleKat

I thought the same about the size, I'm buying them for my chickens and mice but will give them a go with the rabbits and let you know. :)

14. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

15. BattleKat

ooh that's the one I was looking for when I found the ebay one - thankyou!!

16. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Just to let everyone know I have managed to sort this out now :)

I basically put some pebbles in the water dish so that it made the water shallow but not light enough so Rhythm could pick up the bowl and throw lol.
    I also put Sudocreme (thanks for that Kammie ) on him twice a day for a few days. Now he is perfectly dry and I haven't had to resort to going back to a bottle :D

17. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

Thats fantastic news :thumbup: Im glad he is feeling better now :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice