Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need advice over my little hammie :(

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bulldog200, Apr 13, 2011.

1. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

Hey guys my new little hamster is acting very strange , i just been to check on him and he isnt lying in his bed ,just curling up in the corner :(
    he didnt eat anything last night ,i think he might just be stressed out but i need some advice cause he off his food ,anything i can maybe tempt him with ,any ideas would be great thankyou

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

Sorry I'm not good at hamster advice keep a close eye on him make sure ha has food if he want it if not maybe call a vet to advise you so not much help but your hamsters well cute

3. Nithnell

Nithnell PetForums Senior

How long have you had him? I tend to find with my hamsters that if you've literally just bought them, i leave them alone for a day or 2 (obviously keep an eye on them but try to disturb them as little as possible) so they get used to their surroundings, as they really don't like change and have to familiarise themselves with their new home. He sounds a bit stressed but he will settle down.

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

When you say new, how new is he?

5. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

Got him 2 days ago ,he was a rescue and he is about 4 months old ,he hasnt eaten anything yet ,i have had quite a few hammies but they have all eaten ,although i have never had a chinese one

6. GoldenShadow

Maybe he is just a bit scared, I'm not 100% on what is the best thing for hammies to eat as I've not had one for a few years. If he has access to food and water I would consider ringing the vet to ask for advice. When I got my hamsters as babies they'd get put in their new cage and left for 24 hours not touched or looked at etc just totally left and they usually decided on a corner to hide in so I'd move their bed there and they got the hang of it.

Any chance he doesn't like the bedding you've got him or anything?

7. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

Hmm yeah might try changing the bedding ,when he came home i just left him to calm down ,he was poked and rough handled before so he is scared ,but hmm not sure

8. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

I going to have to phone vet up and take him down , he is just laying there now :(
    I really hope its nothing bad :(

9. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

Right i got him appointment for today at 2.30 fingers crossed ,i love the little one already , he is just laid there now ,think there is something wrong :(

10. GoldenShadow

Got my fingers crossed, hopefully he is just a bit tired and scared. Sounds daft but does his water bottle work? One of my aunty's hammies was so poorly and its because the ball in the bottle wasn't letting water out for him :(

11. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Oh no poor hammy.
    Hope it's just upset of new home :(

Good luck at the vets hun x

12. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

Hey thanks guys ,
    :( little moses has a cold and a little chest infection :(
    vet has given him some septrin paediatric suspension
    and said to give him whatever he will eat .
    If he gets over the next 24 hours then he should be fine :(

13. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Aww poor little lad, hope he's okay.:( :( Well done for noticing though as it's quite hard with hamsters I find with them being nocturnal. Our Chinese hamster only seems to come out in the early hours of the morning. Hoping the new cage I've got her makes her a bit more active.

14. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

Thankyou ,
    I have had quite a few female hamsters ,many have had pyometra ,so i notice things quite quickly now ,sometimes i can be over cautious but that can be a good thing sometimes ,especily with little moses .
    i would love to see your little chinese hammie , moses is my first chinese ,i usually get dwraf and syrain

15. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Aww poor hammy, lets hope he gets better.

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

This is her..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got her a new cage coming tomorrow - can't wait.:D

17. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

Oh wow she is sooo cute ,Love her :001_tt1::001_tt1:
    My boy is a bit thin at the moment ,
    i have got him a new cage aswell coming ,as i didnt expect to be getting a new hammie ,so i had to make him a cage ,so glad i got him tho cause it looks like he was ill in the pet shop ,poor little man :(

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Thanks.:D

We went to pets at home for dog food and although I promised myself I wouldn't buy another hamster from there - I failed miserably when I saw her little face peeking out. One couple who had been interested in her decided not to have her and she was all alone in those horrible small cages they have with nothing to play with so I had spare cages so brought her home.:D

19. bulldog200

bulldog200 PetForums VIP

I know i didnt expect to get one either as my jeramiah is a handfull ,but i saw him in pets at home aswell ,but he was in the rescue adoption side ,he was staring into space and shivering ,i couldnt resit , i have to post another pic of moses now this was when i first got him

[​IMG]

Oh and my big boy Jeramiah

[​IMG]

20. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Aww he's beautiful. :001_wub::001_wub: Hope he pulls through.:( I had a guinea pig with a bad respiratory infection - also from the adoption at pets at home - and I really thought I was going to lose her but after two visits to the vets and lots of baytril she pulled through and is as cheeky as ever. :laugh:

Jeramiah looks a bit like the hamster I lost nearly 2 weeks ago.:( She got out of her cage in the early hours of the morning and we haven't seen her since, no sign at all.:(

This is her...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice