Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

need advice on my 9 week old

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lady.turbo.wrx, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Lady.turbo.wrx

Lady.turbo.wrx PetForums Member

Apologies if theres a thread somewhere about this :eek:

We picked up our little bundle of fun last friday,and the breeder was feeding him wainwrights wet & dry food.. when we got him home he had quite runny poo,but thought this was due to the ride home over an hour,through saturday & sunday the same,though was still really happy & playfull.. eating and drinking fine
    We took him to the vet,where he's had his 1st jab,and has been wormed,he had worms as he passed them on monday.. still really happy and playful..
    We mentioned to the vet about the soft poo's and he said we should gradually get him onto Science plan puppy food,which i have been doing..following the feeding guide,only its not changing what comes from the other end,but after having a poo,he will pass a few minutes later what looks like a runny jelly see through liquid with what i think is blood spotting,vet said this is ok..what are your thought?

Now after such a long thread...am i doing the right thing or should i (has i did with my other Staffies) get him onto tin food with a mixer,as never had this before..

Thankyou in advance...

2. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

Science Plan is what is recommended by the vets because they get money back on it. You also find this with Royal Canin and vets as well. Doesnt necessarily mean it is the best thing for your dog and personally I dont like the ingredients and would stay clear of it.

WW is good food, I used to feed my lot on the WW wet trays. I have since changed to raw feeding but thats an entirely different topic.

Good complete dry foods are Arden Grange, Orijen, Acana,

3. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

I feed ww wet and dry works for me sceince plan didnt vets recomended it to me too didnt agree with Bobby :)

4. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Personally I think wainwrights is far superior to science plan. How long have you been switching over? I am also surprised that vet recommended you switch so early on.
    What you are describing sounds like colitis. It is quite normal for them to have bit of a funny timmy when they first come home likeyou say because of the upheavel.
    I recommend pro kolin or canikur paste also, and always have a tube of either in the first aid kit.
    Depending on how long youve been starting to switch over I would switch back to wainwrights and keep puppy on this for a few months at least. How often are you feeding pup? Is there too much trying to go through his system at one time perhaps?

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree with the above - my vet put Kenzie onto Science Plan (although she was on pedigree with the breeder so at least it was a step in the right direction). Then I joined this forum and found out about food and changed onto WW. Highly recommend it, only changed Kenzie off it because she didn't really like it.

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

There's nothing wrong with wainwrights, vets however, do get commission on selling some dog foods.

Runny poo is a common problem with new pups, they've not been long weaned, and then they are taken to a completely new environment, flea/worm treatment, and vaccinations on top of that, are enough to upset the digestion of any pup. Give your pup time to settle in, as long as they're eating and drinking enough, and are bright and inquisitive, I wouldn't be worried, and wouldn't want to be swapping their food over.

Give your vet short shrift next time, and tell them not to waste your time and money.

8. Lady.turbo.wrx

Hello
    switch as been taking place since sunday,as this was when we saw the vet,Pups being fed 4 times a day 45 grms each feed vet said change over 7 days,so was going by that,but must admit the Science plan seems to have made the situation worse..:confused:

9. Lady.turbo.wrx

Many thanks for your reply,i think i might ditch the Science plan in Favour of the wainwrights,as i does seem to have made things worse,as he his happy and eating and drinking fine...

10. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

All my girls as pups have WW salmon and potato puppy complete untill 10 months old.
    Salmon and potato is the best one I find for pups and I had no upset tums and very soft coats and calm pups and I prefer to mix with a little WW wet tray food.;)

11. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Swap from one food to other very gradually-guaranteed upset tum if you switch too fast. Ditch the Science Plan, all vets round here sell it and it's just not good, IMO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice