Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

need advice on having another kitten ???

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by littleblackcat, Jan 10, 2012.

1. littleblackcat

littleblackcat PetForums Member

hey all i currently have buffy who is 5 months old
    the lady who had her brother doesnt want him anymore and my boyfriend said we would have him. If we are defo still having him im gettin him neutered on friday if i can get it all aranged 2morrow as neither or the kittens are done and i thought id get him done first mainly cause its a little cheaper than buffy and i didnt want him to start spraying in my flat. I will be getting buffy done the following week after he is done.
    They havent seen each other since they were 7 weeks old and im wondering if anyone can give me advice on introducing them and basically how to keep my behavour to the cats as fair. I dont want either of them to get jealous of atention and i want them to get on. I have a seperate litter tray for him and i have some bowls for his food as i didnt want buffy thinking hes invading everything that is hers. Im going to get them seperate cat beds and buy a load more toys so there are a load and buff doesnt think hes having all of hers. If they eventually sleep in the sme bed ect brilliant but i will keep seperate things for them so they can have their space if they want it.
    Any advice and tips would be very much apreciated??

2. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Start by giving Buffy rags or clothes with her brother's scent on it, and give the other cat some with her scent.

I thought we had a sticky about introducing a new cat, but I can't find it anymore....

At 5 months they are rather young to be sexually active, but it is not unheard of. So better keep them apart till Buffy is spayed, as a male will remain fertile for 1 to 2 weeks after neutering.

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

From all that I have read on the forum,siblings after they have been separated,sometimes even for just a week or two need to be introduced in the same way as total strangers.Not sure about a "sticky" for kitten/cat intro's but this link is what i would use if I was introducing a new kitten to an existing one. Living Together - Introducing a New Cat .It is an excellent site for all kinds of info.

4. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

Mine were half sisters, born a month apart but were together since the second one was born. We took them home 2 weeks apart and they had already forgotten each other so had to do proper intros, which fortunately didn't take long due to their young ages.

On the other hand, we looked after their half brother (a year older) for two weeks, and then again a month later and they all remembered each other the second time.

On the subject of spaying , it's safer to get the girl done first, as the boy can stay fertile for a couple of weeks. In fact, get them both done at the same time if you can.

#4 Izzie, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  5. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I introduced my 2 on Sunday, I put the carrier in the cage in the kitchen with Jumpy in and then let Treacle out of the living room to investigate. Jumpy did looooads of growling and a few swipes, but Treacle was very interested in him so after only 10 mins opened the carrier door............ and now they're buddies!!! I'm sure it will go well!! :D

6. littleblackcat

littleblackcat PetForums Member

thnk u all for the advice i went round to get him 2night and the girl i was gettin him off said she had a friend coming to collect him for her daughter for her birthday so im not having him now. I have to admit i didnt mind having him but im secretly pleased. I have such a strong bond with buffy that i was worried that bringing him in could possibly break that bond or change how she is with me also it will be alot cheaper for me food wise and vet bill wise though i would of scrimped and saved every pennie for anything he needed but now i can consentrate on getting buffy done and put my money to any vets bills she may have in the future. But if another little kitten did need a home near by me i wouldnt say no hehe i'd never let an animal go without a home would of nice to of had bother and sister but ive got my bby girl

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice