Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need advice on hand feeding puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Ss156, May 7, 2019.

1. Ss156

Ss156 PetForums Newbie

Any advice on the best way to hand feed a large litter of 14? Discovered mom has mastitis, she was prescribed antibiotics so she isn’t able to nurse. Already tried bottle feeding a few & they don’t like it, some do drink from bottle but most don’t.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

If your Vet has advised that the bitch can't feed whilst on anitibiotics then you will have to rota a bottle feed regime and just keep at it - how old are the puppies? Is she able to keep them warm and clean that is also very important at this stage.

J

Ss156 and niamh123 like this.
  3. Ss156

Ss156 PetForums Newbie

The puppies just turned 2 weeks old on Monday. I asked my vet if the dog could be near the puppies since she cries and scratches at the door if she can't be near them, she told me that it would be risky since they would be inclined to feed off of her if she is near.

4. miljar

miljar Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad.

Hi.
    That is a difficult situation, and I would guess that you will have to hand-rear.
    We have someone who has recommended these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nursing-Sp...ocphy=9045084&hvtargid=pla-701588452297&psc=1
    This is just to show the product, but there is a YouTube video and other bits out there - just look about a bit
    They said that they were much better than a bottle.
    I will say that we haven't personally tried them yet, but we do intend to.
    Wish you luck, whatever you do.

Ss156 likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would want to keep the bitch with the pups. Why cant they feed if she is on antibiotics. If she has mastitis she probably wont let them anyway but they still need their mum. 14 pups is going to be a lot of work to hand rear.

niamh123, Ss156, Torin. and 1 other person like this.
  6. Darth

Darth PetForums Member

If they’re two weeks old you could wean them? Providing they can lap.....

I wouldn’t want to hand feed a litter if I could possibly avoid it - there are too many negatives.

I’d also put a vest on Mum so she can have contact with the pups but they can’t get at milk.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  7. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I'd have her with the puppies as I think separation at this stage is traumatic for both mum and puppies - as has been said, get a body suit to cover the area if the Vet says the antibiotics she has given aren't safe so she can at least keep the pups warm and protected.

In regard to mum feeding the pups though, I know that some antibiotics are not safe for pups (it affects bone growth) but mild doses of other antibiotics are safe, so if your Vet says you can't feed then unfortunately you will have to follow their advice as they clearly have given a strong dose not recommended for pups.

Some years back we had a Lab with Mastitis - one swollen and blocked teat - the vet did prescribe a mild antibiotic and advised that we could continue to feed. In fact when the pups fed I stayed with them and ensured that teat was protected, at other times she wore a body suit so they couldn't grab at it anyway.

If the pups are 2.5 weeks old then i would personally persevere with a combination of bottle and sponge feeding and as has been suggested try to get them weaned as soon as they can lap.

But I would certainly let mum back. And check with your Vet again re the Antibiotics she has given.

J

Katalyst, Torin., Blitz and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice