Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need advice on dog's toe please!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Yaremi, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Yaremi

Yaremi PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!
    I'm new here and will introduce myself under the intro threads but for now I really need some advice on my American Bully's toe.
    (Photo is from the day we took her to the vet)

We took her to the vet 3 and a half weeks ago for what we thought was a broken "pinky" toe after slipping on ice and running into our chain linked fence. The vet took an xray and said there was a slight dislocation and that she would be taking a more conservative approach and let it heal on its own.
    Well, it doesn't seem to be doing much healing. It's still very swollen and sticking out slightly, though not nearly as much as the first week. She doesn't limp or seem to be in pain anymore, only if you really mess with the toe. So, I guess what I'm asking is if that's normal? For there to be lots of swelling still but she goes about her day like normal. I know every dog is different and it can take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to fully heal. I just want other's opinions before taking her back in to the vet.
    Thanks in advance! 20191216_110453.jpg
    20191216_110825.jpg

2. mrs phas

mrs phas take a chill pill and reeelaaax

my friends dog dislocated his middle toe 3 yrs agp, it healed sticking up from the others and his nail grows straight out, doesnt touch the ground at all
    he saw the vet numerous times and the advice every time was wait and see
    as i say 3 yrs on theres no difference, we call it his witchy toe, cos it looks like hes pointing at you all the time, he doesnt like it being clipped, the only one he fusses about, but its perfectly healed and causes him no pain or stops hum running like a loon

sometimes nature has its own twists on how something heals

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The angle it's at makes further injuries likely if it stays like that. Could it not be bandaged to put it in the right place whilst it heals? I wouldn't be surprised if there's also damage to the ligament.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice