Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

need advice on a new baby and my 2 dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by chaza80, Jul 17, 2009.

1. chaza80

chaza80 PetForums Member

I am due my first child in 3 days time, I own 4 dogs in total, the 2 border terriers stay in the house & my other 2 are outdoor dogs in kennels.

The 2 borders are my babies & come absolutely everywhere with me and my husband, so I am guessing they are gonna become quite jealous of the new arrival, can anyone give me any advice on what to do??

I also have a bit of a problem with 1 of the border's, I haven't been able to leave him on his own as he seems to want to chew, he is still a pup, at 5 months, but I am concerned when the baby comes as I will want to venture out more with the pram etc....

How do u stop him chewing stuff, he gets walked 3 times a day, he gets the free roam of the garden all day, gets plenty of attention, and he still chews when left, he does not go near anything when we are home, it seems to be when he is left, he has his mother as company too?? I am at my wits end??

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

You could try crating him when you're out of the house. 3 days isn't a lot of time do they have a good leave it command? Teach them to stay off the furniture until you tell them to get up and not to jump up on you. Get your husband whatever to bring home baby clothes from the hospital so they get used to the smell.

3. chaza80

chaza80 PetForums Member

yes have thought about crating him, is he at an ok age to start that??Yes they have a good command, and are very obedient, thanks

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

You can start it at anytime my friends 7 year akita even learned crate training very quickly. Try putting his bedding in there giving him treats for going in, feeding him in there so he associates it with good things and he'll learn very quickly its a good thing. It will be good for when the baby is older too and he has a place to go away from it.

5. chaza80

chaza80 PetForums Member

ok thanks for that, I Will look into buying a crate

6. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

All i can think and agree with nicky09 is to try crating him while you are out put his bed, bowl of water and maybe something like a stuffed kong to keep him busy while you are out.
    Make sure he feels the crate is a good place not somewhere he is put when naughty and try and slowly build up his time in there 5/10 minutes once he is happy try a bit long.
    Surely though you should have been getting this all sorted before the last 3 days the baby is due, the training is going to take time and wont be a quick fix and in 3 days time you wont have time for the first few weeks to do much training.

7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

This would be better in the training and behaviour section . I will reply later x

8. chaza80

chaza80 PetForums Member

yes I do agree this should have been sorted before the last 3 days, but considering, I have been working up until a month ago, moving house & looking after my 4 dogs and hubby, its been slightly impossible!!! I Realise that it will take time, and he has been very easy to train in other things, he has been house trained since he was 3 months old, he sits when asked, walks at heel, goes to his bed when told. The only thing he is not getting is chewing things when he is left on his own, he just wants to be with me 24/7.

Thanks to all for there advice & I will try crating him, hope this works, my hubby will be home for the next 2 weeks to help!!

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

The chewing is prob seperation anxiety. Google it or look for previous posts. There is no magic fix, you need to address the issues he has. Chewing is just one sympton of S/A, there are many more. You need to look at the bigger picture in order for this behaviour to stop. I would imagine that this dog follows you around a lot as well?

With regards to introducing the baby.....

Don't allow the dogs too close for a period of time (how long.... it depends). They must keep a respectful distance.
    Don't allow the dogs in the baby's room at all.
    Ensure on walks that the dogs walk behind or next to the pram. This way, they see the baby as pack leader from early on.

Hind sight is a wonderful thing, but you really needed to withdraw yourself from your dogs earlier. They will be confused that you are no longer able to give them the same amount of attention.

Best of luck with the birth x

10. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

best advice is to crate him when you are out, give him a filled Kong to chew in there. Give him his meals in there and he will associate it with good things. Mine have been crated since we had them at 7 weeks so are use to it. Build the time up spent in the crate from say 10 mins to 30 mins and you can build it up to a couple hours then if you need to go out. I personally don't crate 2 together when out, as they may fight you never can tell. the only time ours are crated together is when i take them to shows and they are with us then.

Borders are good with children normally, but children should be brought up to respect dogs, no pulling ears and tails etc, dogs get a bit agigtated when they do this. Also as good as any dog is with children never leave them on there own with kids unsupervised or babies.

good luck, borders are great little dogs and will learn obedience fairly quickly, especially the leave command.:)

11. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

advise you buy the 30ins crate it's ideal size for borders:)

12. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Id say the best thing to do is give the dogs any milk the baby leaves that way they will see it like oh we get more treats this babys a good thing.

13. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

You should not encourage the dogs to have anything of the baby's. inc toys, food, clothing etc. They need to learn that they must keep their distance from the baby. :)

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

why should they keep their distance. I also query your other post on keeping the dogs behind the pram so they see the baby as pack leader. What a very odd thing to say.
    When I had my baby my dogs carried on as normal. The baby isnt going to be on the floor or within reach of the dogs so what is the problem.
    I also cant quite see why a chewing pup, which is perfectly normal, should need to be labelled as having SA. I hate that term anyway, why not just say the dog hasnt yet got used to being left on its own, why label it.
    I would treat the dogs as normal unless you let them run riot round the house now, but normal well mannered dogs that are not allowed in bedrooms and not allowed to follow you round and go to the bathroom with you should be quite happy with the baby. It is when they start toddling that the problems can come about.

15. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Because a certain trainer says so. We'll be treating our dogs the same admittedly they won't be sleeping in the nursery or anything but that is normal.

16. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Depending of the nature of ur dog if its boisterous or not tire it out first properly, then best to sit down with the baby and let the dog come up (maybe while on lead depending how far u are with training) and let him have a sniff... make him sit so the dog is less likly to jump up and then let him sniff maybe the babies foot. I would do this with each dog seperate.

Also never let the dogs get into the habit of thrusting their heads into the cot or jumping up and also dirty nappies can attract the dogs, so u will have to watch there.

And never let the dogs run in into the room, ensure they enter calmy and are never left unsupervised with the new addition...

...hope that helps a bit. :)

17. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Why should they keep their distance?

Because you do not know how the dog will react to the baby. The OP has said the dogs go everywhere with her and they may get jealous, so until she knows how they will react then she should not allow them near the baby. Just because your dogs were ok, doesn;t mean everybody elses will be. Sallyanne had a dog PTS because it attacked her child.

The OP has said the dog does not like being left on it's own and chewing is one of the symptons of S/A. You may not like it being labelled, but it is a condition that most experts/behaviourist agree on. The fact that the dog doesn;t chew when the OP is in and the OP only leaves it for a short time, would indicate S/A to me. Even if it is not and you treat it as such, it will not do the dog any harm.

In my opinion a dog who walks in front of anybody on a walk (continiously, not just when they are very excited) is leading that person. So to me it makes perfect sense. And again, even if it doesn't, it will not harm the dog. But maybe, just maybe dogs do think like this, and if they do then you are allowing the dog to take a leadership position.

18. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

What Natik said is pretty much our plan. The CM stuff is a load of yeah other topic. Our dogs are great with children and babies and they've never walked behind us believe it or not.

19. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Goodness me,it is quite normal of a puppy of 5 months to be chewing.
    The puppy is most likely teething and therefore will chew.

To the OP,I have nothing to add with regards to the baby,you have been given some good advice,i.e bringing the baby clothes home so dogs can smell the scent etc.

20. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Yes I did have a dog PTS,however the circumstances were totally different to what the OP has posted.
    The dog was a rescue and my son wasn't a baby.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice