UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Need Advice for Fighting Dogs

577 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Burrowzig 
#1 ·
In October, I lost the love of my life, my 17yr old beagle. We still had another 3 year old beagle boy. A few months later, we offered to temporarily take custody of an un-neutered male terrier. He was kind of weak and sick to begin with, but we got him on the road to recovery.

Temporarily turned into 8 months. My husband and I always knew we wanted to adopt another beagle. I missed my Bromden so much-- when we were asked to foster another Red beagle from the local hound rescue, we jumped on the chance. And we fell in love with the little guy-- a 1 year old male.

Now we have two dogs, plus the "temporary" terrier. The problem is the younger beagle and terrier have always fought. I had it under control for a while, we all walk together every morning, I have tried to watch for triggers, and the fighting seemed to ebb for awhile.

Yesterday, they got into two major fights. The young beagle refused to let go of the terrier (normally the aggressor) and nothing we did would get his attention (water hose, redirecting, pulling them apart, etc). The terrier was left with a bloody ear and an even bigger attitude.

I'm working on a permanent solution for the terrier. But in the meantime, I have them completely separated. I've read where this is a bad idea, which is why I always tried to reintroduce them pretty quickly after other fights. But I am afraid for his safety at this point.

I'm looking for any advice on what to do from here. I feel so terribly guilty for causing this situation. I just want what is best for all of them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Any idea what triggered these fights? You say the terrier is usually the aggressor, maybe the young beagle had had enough. Being pack hounds, Beagles are usually so genial, as you no doubt already know.
I'd keep them apart for the time being, unless both are muzzled - you'd have to muzzle train them both. They can be separated by baby gates or crates, so each would be aware of the others' close presence, but be unable to get into any fights. A behaviourist could help. Finding a new home for the terrier would be a solution, if the 2 Beagles get on well. As there's been blood drawn, it's a serious situation and a rescue such as the Dogs' Trust would probably take him for his own safety.

#5 ·
I like the idea of baby gates. I think not being able to see each other might be adding to the anxiety for both of them. Even if it's just a few more days he is here, I'd like to alleviate as much anxiety as I can for them. The terrier has always asserted himself in Reddick's (the young beagle) space. The first few fights were always at feeding time, so I was able to monitor, separate and distract to keep fights from occurring. But last night's fight was so intense, I just don't feel I can keep either of them safe if I try to reintroduce on my own. I'm not sure what triggered it last night-- they were outside at the time, and I heard the kerfuffle. I do know that Reddick had a seizure that morning-- he was probably feeling a bit out of sorts all day.

#3 ·
Quite honestly, if this is a temporary situation I'd be inclined to manage it with separation and rotate a dog. If you do want to work on it then you need the help of a behaviourist, someone who can come see the two dogs and see exactly what's going on, what, if anything, can be done to remedy the problem. Sometimes two dogs just really do not get along for reasons known only to themselves. And it sounds like this is escalating if injuries are being caused.

Is the terrier from a rescue?

#6 ·
The terrier is a rescue from a friend who could not care for him at the time. The goal was always for him to return home. But he was in poor health, and the home situation hasn't improved much. I feel guilty for adopting another dog and causing this situation, but regret isn't going to help much at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.