Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

need advice - cat w/cancer

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ginab, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ginab

ginab PetForums Newbie

My 14 year old cat was recently diagnosed with Lymphosarcoma. He was given a couple different pills one of which he needs to take twice daily. In the beginning he was taking the pills in a treat. Now he won't take it with anything, not even ham or chicken which he loves. I know the dr had given me different strategies of giving him the pill (pill shooter and other techniques) but my cat is very aggressive when he gets upset. It would take a while each time 2-3 times a day to force him to take the pill and that’s really wrestling and struggling with him. I don't want to upset him especially since he is sick and I don't think it is fair to him. I guess my question is, is he ok to go without the pills in his remaining months? He has lost about 3 pounds but he is still eating. He does stay in one spot a lot of the day though. I don't want to do the wrong thing but giving him the pills just isn't an option anymore so do I continue w/out the pills or do I put him to sleep? I really don’t want to put him to sleep unless I’d be doing him a favor and put him out his misery.

I appreciate anyone’s help on this. His dr just wants to keep bringing him in which doesn't solve anything so I am not getting help from them. I love my cat dearly and what to make the right decision that’s in his best interest. Thanks so much for listening...

2. may

may PetForums VIP

Cant you ask you Vet for injections for him :)

3. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

Hi Ginab,
    Has a animal healer practitioner and a cat breeder, if it was my cat i would,if there was no way he would have the pills without alot of upset, and he wasn`t in pain, at his age just let him live the rest of his time in peace with you, giving him lots of love. (but only you know what`s best for his condition). I also had a cat with cancer at 11 years old, the vet said if she had a operation there was no guarantee that the cancer would not come back, so i was not going to let her go through a big operation with no guarantee of complete cure, i had her another year before she passed away in my arms. All she needed was my love and prayers, ( i`am not religious but prayers do help ).
    Regards Amanda.

4. My old kind moggy died of that at the age of 14,5. At one point I stopped giving pills to him as it was too much for him...I was not able to PTS him, but was doing my best looking after him. He died piecefully at home.

5. Desertstorm

Desertstorm PetForums Member

I lost a beautiful 7 year old neutered male Tonkinese a couple of years ago to a tumor that was pressing on his esophogus. We tried treating with shots of steroids, but it did not work. In the end, I had to give up force feeding as he would go all wild eyed and get short of breath. He, by the way, made a noise when he breathed and quit eating. In the end, I could not stand it and I took him to the vet, who told me he was 75% gone before he put him to sleep. I have another one (a spayed 11 year old female, with what the vet and I believe is renal failure. She is eating very little and is emaciated...but I, like you, hate to take her for a final trip to the vet. I prefer that if she can, she should go peacefully at home. She is not gasping for breath like the other one. (I could not stand that) I have tried antibotics and almost 10 days of prednisone., and I have also force fed her....I just wished she would get better or go peacfully in her sleep. It is so heartbreaking to watch...but you always wonder if by some miracle the cat will improve.....

6. sunflower404

sunflower404 PetForums Newbie

I'm totally with you with what you're going through. We've just yesterday heard that our beautiful cat has an incurable cancer at the back of her nose. They told us the only form of treatment is radiotherapy, however this would only add a few more months to her life and would require her to travel a 4 hour round-trip in the carrier she hates once a week for 4 weeks. We've made the difficult decision not to continue with it and instead we have some pain relief on hand if we think she needs it. She's still lively and wants to eat even tho the vet has gven her only a few more weeks. I agree with you in that its the cat's quality of life that is most important. i think often the treatment is there for the benefit of the owners in having our much loved pets with us for a little longer...but in all honesty, being able to rest in peace at home has got to be ultimately what our cats would want instead of being made to spend days in distress with putting up with treatment when the outcome (in our case) is pretty bleak. Its a real heartbreaker... our cat is only 4 1/2yrs old...

7. Angelicats

Hi Sunflower,
    You have made a brave decision not to continue with treatment. I think you have made the right decision, for the matter of a few weeks. It`s best for her to have your caring love at home, than to be made unhappy by long trips and treatments to the vets. I myself made the same decision when my cat got cancer, but she was 11 years old. I am so sorry she is a young cat, it makes it abit worse when they are young.
    Regards Amanda.

8. ginab

ginab PetForums Newbie

Thank you guys for all your responses; they helped so much! Unfortunately just this past week I've seen a dramatic change in Garfield. Though he has been weaker since he was diagnosed with cancer, he always had an appetite. For the last few days he won't even go to his bowl when I crack open the wet food can which he LOVES and used to always beats my other cat to the bowl...nor would be eat his treats or even table food which he would never turn down before...he also seems to be getting a cold b/c he has black crusty stuff on his nose. Well, he is losing more weight so I brought a can of food right to him in his bed (where is is the majority of the day now) and after a while he ate very little...though he sounded like he was having a hard time digesting...I am getting very worried now that he is not eating because he is losing more weight and getting weaker...I know how everyone stressesd how important "quality" is of your pet...so I might need to make a decision in pretty soon...

9. Angelicats

Hi Ginab,
    My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Try to be strong and may you and garfield find some comfort soon.
    Regards Amanda.

10. Desertstorm

I took my 11 year old Tonkinese to the vet last Friday and we tried one more time to save her. This time we used Baytril, along with the prednisone for her kidney problems. I also force fed and dribbled water in her mouth. But it was not to be and she went to Rainbow Bridge last night. I hate that it took so long but I wanted to give her every chance. At least I did everything I could........

11. Angelicats

Hi Desertstorm.
    Sorry about your loss, it`s always hard when are furry loved ones pass away, my you have lots of happy memories.

12. ginab

ginab PetForums Newbie

Yes, i am very sorry too...unfortunately i have the same news. I put my Garfield to sleep last night, it was his time. Yet I know we gave him a wonderful life and the years he was with us he was very happy so that is what I try to remember...

13. Angelicats

Hi ginab,
    I am sorry to hear about Garfield," happy memories ".

14. Desertstorm

I am so sorry to hear about Garfield....I know just what you are going thru', having lost Josie just last week.

15. sarasara

sarasara PetForums Junior

I have a cat with cancer at the point where the airpipe joins the stomachpipe. I invented a new method of medicating her as placing tablets in her mouth can aggravate or rupture the tumour.
    My cat gets prednisone steroids to give her energy, get up and go and to reduce swelling in the tumour and help to stop it spreading to the lungs.
    and noraclav anti-biotic to prevent secondary infection which starts within 24 hours if I stop administering it.

What I do twice daily is to place the steroid tablet and a half noroclav in a small cup and then grind it to powder with the back end of a steel knife. I then add as little marge as is necessary to bind it into a soft paste (if past is too hard it falls to bits as you administer it and if too much marge it is too big a quantity to administer).
    Then open your cats mouth and shove it in on the tip of your index finger. You can also try putting it on the lower section of the cats front paw but after a while they rumble you and just leave it on the paw until it dries and falls off!

As to food chop the food very well, chicken or tuna may be too stringy for the cat to digest and I use felix or whiskas finely chopped, though if you can afford it there are more expensive and useful foods at the vets.

Dont under any circumstance give a cat hard food (cat biscuits) who has a tumour or abcess at any internal point where food passes.

You may find puss does not want to drink either so add some water (increse the amount gradually so it gets used to it, to its grub.

She also has constipation and I add a teaspoon of liquid parrafin bp (from chemist). At the moment that is not working as I mistakenly took her off noroclav and have had to start the treatment all over again, I actually came to post about that and found your post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice