Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need Advice again!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kateaitken07, Aug 10, 2009.

1. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Roxy's babies are 2 weeks old today :D

My question is, when should I start weaning them and when should I provide them with a litter tray?

Also, How will they learn to use the tray?? Roxy refuses to use one, she goes outside to do her business.

Oh, and what type of litter should I be using for the babies?!?!

2. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

weaning normally starts at around 4 weeks, can be a little earlier. I find they start chewing on your fingers when they are almost at weaning stage and as for litter training i personally train the kittens onto newspaper first and then move that into a small litter tray then (again just my preference) i use a paper based or wood based litter in case the kits try and eat it. I dont start litter training till they are eating solids as mummy cat deals with them up until this point

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I would not let mum go outside as she could become pregnant again. litter tray goes in at about 3 half weeks & weaning at about 4-5 :)

4. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

I wean from around 3 weeks onwards,litter tray gets put in then.normal cat litter is fine,i worm at 2 weeks also.mashed up kitten hilife pouches sre a good weaning food.:)
    make sure litter tray is a small low sided kitten one.

5. kateaitken07

Thank you :D

Taylorbaby - Ive tried keeping Rox in but she will find a way out one way or another. In my room she has everything she needs including a litter tray but I cant seem to stop her escaping!!!

She will be getting spayed once the babies are weaned off her (thats the advice my vets gave).

All my cats are fed the Purely Kitten range - is that ok to wean the babies?

They have all been wormed today and they all got de-flea'd a few days ago using frontline spray (again on advice from the vet).

The other question I had.... at the moment, mum and babies are in my bedroom in a big tray thingy (its actually the bottom of a HUGE rat cage) so mum and come and go freely but the babies can't.

When can I bring the babies downstairs and get them used to other cats, household noises etc etc??

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I would think once they are weaned and litter trained they can venture out (well mine did). Keep litter trays close to where-ever they are though. You could bring them down in their cage to start with and see how they go from there ?

I would seriously consider keeping mum in, I know how difficult that can be but Misty was calling at 3 weeks, 4 week, 6, weeks, 8 weeks. :eek:

7. kateaitken07

I really have tried keeping her in but shes like Houdini!

She'll ALWAYS find a way out and it bugs the hell outta me!!!

8. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yes, that's a bit of a nightmare as Vets won't spay until kittens are finished fully feeding at 7/8 weeks (mine were 12/13) then it takes 2 weeks for the milk to go (apparently), so you may have to get her spayed and pray she isn't too pregnant and they can sort out any kittens at the same time, if that's what you would choose to do.

That makes me feel sad typing that but I guess it would be the wisest thing to do. :)

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I know its hard, but why not keep all windows & doors shut?

Say she starts calling again at 5 weeks & gets out? you then cant hav eher spayed until those kits are 8weeks, but you cant keep her in so say she gets pregnant again! itll never stop lol!

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

This isn't a nice thing to bring up, but most orphaned kittens find themselves in that situation at 1-4 weeks old. One of the main reasons is the mum goes out to defend her babies or territory and ends up under a car. The other reason is they come back into season and get into trouble looking for a bloke.

I would not mention this if it hadn't happened to me many years ago. I ended up in the nightmare position of having to find foster mums for 6 x 10-day old babies and lost my true soulmate. She was kept in - but escaped. I wouldn't wish that scenario on my worst enemy.

(Still love you, Fuchsia.)

11. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

Hi

My mysty cat had her babies and before i new it she had got out i had her booked into the vet to get done. Visited the vets a couple of weeks later and he said that if she was pregnant then they could still do her, but they would hve to make a bigger insition and take out any kitties. I was so upset but it would have been cruel to let her have them so soon after having the others. She ended up staying over nite but it all went well.

Hope this helps

ruth

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice