Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need a good cry!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CavalierOwner, Oct 7, 2013.

1. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

I feel super stressed, already cried about 3 times in the last 2 hours!

Gas man came out and my boiler has died! :crying: He sort of got it working and 10 mins later it died again.

Been quoted £2000 for new boiler plus fitting. :crying: I guessed that I would need a new one because it's really old and keeps breaking but I was hoping I'd be able to put it off until next year but obviously not.

In a way I'm glad that I was sensible enough to start saving at 17 because I can afford to pay for it but it seriously doesn't make it any easier to hand over that sort of money! I've worked my ass off and saved for six years and have to spend a huge chunk on a boiler. :nonod:

Happy Birthday to me :(

Sorry for the moan, think I need to snivel and spend some time with my good pals Ben&Jerry.

2. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear it's been a bad day. Are you eligible for the Green Deal?

3. chichi

chichi Banned

Awwww, Cavalier, I hope you are okay.

We had the same problem a few years back; right before Christmas too, was a bloody nightmare. Deepest mid winter and bl@@dy freezing cold. I had to go stay at family's for a couple of nights with kids, as it was a huge job (needed all sorts of pipes replacing etc). Once it was done though, it was a real relief (it had been on the blink for a couple of years).

It is a lot of money but once it's done, it will likely work well for years to come.

Don't let it get you down x

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Sorry, your boiler is stressing you out! I know the new ones do cost a fortune and you def dont want to be without hot water/heating.:(
    My boiler is ancient and generally breaks down every couple of years. Ive got a lovely plumber though who comes round and fixes it for about £50.:) Id still rather have my elderly boiler (with character!) then have to buy one of the new fangled expensive ones.

5. Mulish

Mulish Just a Little Penguin

I know how much that sucks and I'm sorry :(

We had our's replaced year before last and it was a week of being constantly cold and fed up but then it was toasty warm bliss again! I hadn't realised how rubbish the old boiler was until it was gone. If it's possible go for a combi boiler and get a Magna Clean fitted, too. Extends the life by sucking in all the little bits of metal which would otherwise get stuck in the teeny tiny boiler pipes.

It's a lot of money to hand over. I remember writing the cheque whilst calculating how many super awesome things I actually wanted I could've bought instead. Just try and focus on the hot showers.

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Sorry to hear about your boiler, I'm thinking mine might need doing as well soon, so keep tightening the belt to ensure it doesn't drain the bank account too much. Sometimes I wish I was less independent, unfortunately (or fortunately) I'd hate to rely on others for my living, like you I save up and pay for everything myself but it never makes paying the bills any more pleasant!

Fingers crossed you can still afford a nice bottle of plonk for your Birthday, and can at least have a bit of a celebration.

7. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear it's died, it is one of those horrid big expenses :(

Have a look around for other quotes though , my dads "mate" is a gas man he quoted my dad mates rates at around £1500 dad looked around and there was a company on ebay who had the same boiler for £950 fitted his friends was like i'm not sure how they can do it for that price i'll do it for £900 :rolleyes:

8. LDK1

LDK1 PetForums VIP

I know you need to get a boiler quickly, but maybe try to get a couple more quotes before going ahead.

Also, there's boilers and there's boilers. Some makes are better than others and you need to make sure that you get the right size boiler to fit your needs.

I'm afraid I'm not very trusting of tradesmen, so I'd try to do some quick research to see what the going rate is for the model of boiler being suggested.

I can tell you that Vaillant is a reliable make after doing much research myself, but there are others of course.

Domestic Boilers | Trade | Vaillant

9. CavalierOwner

Thanks guy!

Always comes at the worst times, doesn't help that I feel disgustingly unclean not being able to have a shower! Boiling water to wash is horrible and trying to wash really long hair over a sink while re boiling water to rinse it is a pain in the ass and gross. There's nowhere that I can go to for a shower, all my family live in another city and I don't drive and don't fancy getting a train feeling scruffy!

I don't qualify for anything and I don't want to pay on a credit card getting into debt so I'll have to suck it up and pay out of my savings!

Thanks SL, they are fitting the boiler Thursday and it's my 24th on Sunday, I might feel better by then when I'm feeling hygienic again. :lol:

10. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Hopefully you will see your bills being a bit cheaper, as the new boiler will be more efficient.

11. CavalierOwner

I've already paid a deposit but thanks for the advice. I had been looking at different places to get an idea of what it might cost if I did need a boiler and tbh £2000 is cheaper than some of the other prices! From googling it looks like BG charge double that, they are local gas men and they said that the new boiler will have 7 years warranty.

12. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

Sounds like a Worcester Bosch? We just got a seven year warranty with ours - had it fitted in July (that was fun for the poor builders - having the central heating on for three days in the middle of the heatwave - lol)

It'll be worth it once it's in and you know it's sorted. Poor thing - it is stressful when expensive stuff breaks - especially when it's not something you can do without. At least you get a new one just as the weather is turning colder xxx

13. Flamingoes

Flamingoes PetForums VIP

*massive hug* I suck at practical advice but I'm a viking when it comes to being cried on if that helps xxxx

14. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Yes, when our old boiler died, B Gas charged £4500. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Broke my blooming heart.

15. tinktinktinkerbell

Jesus wept, pleased we don't use our boiler :eek:

16. LDK1

LDK1 PetForums VIP

Wow, 7 year warranty sounds good! :)

17. CavalierOwner

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling a little better now that the initial shock has worn off and I've had something to eat. :lol:

At the end of the day there's nothing I can do about it, so I just have to put on my big girl panties and suck it up. :)

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

That really sucks doesnt it?:( I remember mine broke once just before xmas and I couldnt afford to fix it before the new year. I missed my bath so much and never felt properly clean after a sink wash. The hair thing didnt bother me though..I always wash my waist length hair in the sink under the cold tap anyways!:D

19. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

I bought a full central heating system for that and it included a towel rail type radiator and 7 radiators at varying sizes. In fact I don't think it came to £2,000 tbh.

If you live close West Yorkshire pm and I give you his details.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice