Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need a bit of help with my hammy

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by CreativeLC, Jul 20, 2009.

1. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

I've had Bella almost a year now and the last couple of days she's been acting really weird.
    She has slept in her see saw instead of her house, and she keeps chewing at everything when she would normally be asleep.
    Im not sure why her behaviour has changed. She's eating normally as far as i can tell. She just keeps going back into the see saw and scrabbling around and then falling asleep. Then she wanders around the cage a bit and then goes back to the see saw or starts scrabbling again.
    Any idea why she does this?

2. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Sounds like she's in heat to me. That's what some of mine do when they get like that.

3. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Oh right, is there anything i can do?

4. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Nope, just wait it out. If she's in heat then eventually she will be back to her old self.

5. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

She is going through ARGH heat stage which is because she hasnt had any pups yet she is sorta stressed out, like the menopause but it isn't she still can!! :p

if that makes sense:/ ??

6. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Completely. Two of my current three had that problem, first Eva and then Jem, and Jem is only recently over the stage. Biological clock ticking and all that. Eva became impossible to handle and even sweet Jem became a bit nippy, but they are both fine now. Still going in and out of heat of course, but they aren't made at the world about it anymore. :D

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

That explains Angels behaviour, she has totally abandoned her beloved wheel this week and has started to bar chew like crazy and keeps scent marking everything, she is nearly 1 so when do they stop doing this?

8. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

I think Bella has wet tail, she seems very weak and just not herself. Also her bottom area is dirty. Im so upset, i don't want to take her to the vets. I don't know what to do, she is my first hamster and i haven't even had her a year yet.
    The only thing different i gave her to eat was some fruity treats.

9. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

If she has wet tail I think the only thing you can do is take her to the vets.:sad:

10. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

I know i should but i really don't cope well with illness or death.
    I think i might get my Mum to take her. I got her to drink some water, but shes all hunched up again.
    Thanks Jazzy

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I would get your mum to take her then because she's probably in pain. It's quite a horrible disease and hamsters can die from it if they don't get prompt treatment.

12. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Ok, my Mum isn't good with her, so im not sure if she will take her to the vets without me. I'll ask her. I will get Bella help, but im not sure if they can help her.

13. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

I thought she had died just now, but she jumped up. She is putting food into her pouches which is a good sign, at least she is interested in food.

14. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

Poor little Bella :(... the only thing you can do with wet tail is get her treated at the vets. also i'd do it sooner rather than later because wet tail generally shows symptoms when its quite advanced :(

Hope she feels better soon

hugs x x x

15. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

I hope your vet can help her.

16. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

This is gonna sound awful but we haven't taken her to the vets yet. Our vets is very busy and Bella probably wouldn't get seen for a couple of days.
    I also don't want to stress her out more. She's eaten a bit and had something to drink, so i just hope its dirrahoea and it gets flushed out her body.

17. lau02

lau02 PetForums Member

lets hope she will be ok but she could be in pain id take her vets any way.

18. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Last night she perked up a LOT and she even went in her exerices ball. I think it was a bad case of dirrahoea. Luckily she seems to have flushed it through her system.
    She is eating and drinking as normal now.
    I didn't take her to vets as they tend to not bother with small animals and probably would have wanted to put her to sleep, i wanted to give her a chance.
    Will keep you updated on any changes.

19. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

It can be hard to find a good small animal vet, yes. I'm glad she is feeling so much better. :)

20. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

She seems to have made a full recovery. Unfortunately she has lost a bit of weight with what happened but as she gets spoiled im sure she will put it back on.
    I was sooo worried that i was gonna lose her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice