Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Necessity of Flea Preventatives

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mathieu, Apr 15, 2019.

1. mathieu

mathieu PetForums Newbie

My dog is three years old and has never had fleas, as far as I know. Should I still give him a flea preventative?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Maybe he has not had fleas because you have been treating him. I very seldom do mine but I do not live in an area that has fleas. When I go on holiday I do them so they have protection

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I don't treat mine for fleas unless they actually have fleas or they're going somewhere where they might catch them.

4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I don't treat mine for fleas or ticks, because we don't have any fleas where I live and very few ticks. I used to until Georgina developed a skin allergy which I'm fairly certain was due to the tick treatment I was using, and the poor girl was so sore I decided not to treat her again unless it was absolutely necessary.

5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I only treat if mine gets fleas or ticks

40 years of dog ownership and we have had one episode of fleas in 1997 and harvest mites last year

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

We flea regularly - though I tend to have a seasonal approach and a watchful eye so that we treat when necessary. We live rural with plenty of animals to carry fleas and ticks. I also have six dogs who come into contact with other rural dogs who I know are not flea'd regularly (so are often carriers).

What I will say is that flea infestations are nasty and can be a real pain to get rid of - you have to clean right through the house and it can take weeks to clear the cycle - so always do regular checks on your dog anyway but especially if you are not treating.

J

Torin. and Cleo38 like this.
  7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Same here, I de-flea all mine (cats & dogs) regularly with prescription only products as they tend to be the most effective. I tried some herbal stuff a few years ago but it was useless.

I suppose it depends where people live & the pets they have. My cats drag in all sorts of rodents they have caught so am sure that adds to the flea problem

8. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

I treat my dog and cats for fleas on a monthly basis. We have a fair few cats where I live, sadly not all are particularly well looked after, and as my cats do go outside, although they don't tend to venture far from my garden, but I can't be sure they wouldn't bring some 'visitors' back in with them and, as @Jamesgoeswalkies says, flea infestations are a nightmare and I don't want to have to deal with that!

9. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

The only time my dogs have had fleas was when I lived on the South Coast. I had never seen them before or since, but they made me paranoid.

I use natural flea killers like Billy No Mates and also sprays around the house in the summer. I use de-fleaing spot ons from the vet, which covers most creapy crawlies. I only use these May-September depending on the weather.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice