Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Necessary vitamins for labrador

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Irina, May 13, 2010.

1. Irina

Irina PetForums Junior

Hi, I have puppy half labrador, half rottweiler, 9 months old, and recently heard that Labrador's weakest health link is joints.
    Could you recomment any useful and necessary vitamins for this? Vet said vegetables and fruits is good for their jopints, so she has enough vegs, I get her whole apple and she likes it so much! But I afraid she needs special vitamins.
    Thank you!

2. rona

rona Guest

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I feed mine Skinners it has glucosamine and chrondroitin in it to help their joints. Skinners do a lot of different food but Im not sure if they all have the joint supplements. The duck and rice and salmon and rice both do.

I think there are other brands of food that have joint supplements too.

4. Irina

Irina PetForums Junior

nothing really else, just occaisonally vegs wich I have left after dinner, why do you think apples can be poisoned? Vet said it's good fro joints. I know garlic and onion can poisoned dogs.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The pips contain a compound very similar to cyanide. Apple flesh is fine, but not the core.

Whilst not harmful to feed, the nutrition that a dog gets from fruit and veg is negligible as they can not digest and process them sufficiently.

6. LucyJ

LucyJ PetForums Member

Try feeding a food high in glucosamine and Omega 3 and 6 from a natural source, it will be absorbed better. A tin of sardines now and again is also good.

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think the most important things are not to overwalk as a puppy and not to let them get fat. Dogs that are prone to joint/bone issues are better off being on the lighter side.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice