Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Necessary health tests before breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by tashi, Jul 7, 2008.

1. leashedForLife

why test only *once*?

statistically, over 85% of all heritable traits which will affect a dog, will be symptomatic by 24-MO.

so IMO, testing at 12-MO, 14-MO, or 20-MO would be pretty doggone silly - research has shown that
    if U wait to breed until both sire & dam are 24-MO before breeding, that adds an average 2-years
    to their pups' lifespans -
    surely among the simplest & least-expensive ways of extending a lifespan! :yesnod:

as dogs age beyond 2-YO, especially past 5-YO & markedly past 8-YO, all eye-diseases become more likely -
    everything from cataracts & PRA to dry-eye or detached retinae, including glaucoma [high pressure in the eye].

if a breeding-candidate tested with normal intra-ocular pressure at 18-MO & U bred her/him then,
    & the dog later developed glaucoma at 2 or 5 or 7, that trait would already have passed to the pups.

IME, most breeders whose breed has a tendency to glaucoma test their breeding stock annually,
    & once the dog retires from active breeding, at least bi-annually [every 2-years - just in case].

2. wuhana Pugs

wuhana Pugs PetForums Junior

And should be eye tested clear of Entropian

3. chaka

chaka PetForums Member

Apologies if GSD are already on here and i've missed it.

Hip score (ideally imo score should be no higher than low teens total.
    Elbow score (again my preference would be 0)
    Haemophilia testing for males

4. collielover333

collielover333 PetForums Newbie

Border collie,
    eyes,
    hips,
    t.n.s

5. leashedForLife

what about the multiple drug-sensitivity, found in many Collie-breeds?
    the old adage, "white feet, don't treat" is nowhere near sufficient warning.
    there are a number of non-collie breeds who are also affected, & should be tested.

there's a DNA test; i believe it's cheek-swab or blood sample, depending upon which lab U choose.

6. porchpotty

porchpotty PetForums Member

The basic tests are hip and elbow testing.

7. leashedForLife

please see post #68 in this thread for the article:
    AVAR's guide to congenital diseases in purebred dogs.

this is what it says re Border Collies:
    each of those NUMBERS indicates a heritable problem known in the breed.

Some will not have tests [yet] - others can be screened via bloodwork, DNA, x-ray, etc,
    & some only via open medical histories on parents, siblings, & other near-relatives -
    like bloat / GDV.

i'd strongly urge that anyone breeding BCs or buying a BC-pup demand a minimum of a current eye-certificate
    signed by a k9-opthalmologist, a blood-test for the MR1-variant for drug-sensitivity, hip/elbow rads,
    & for a prospective sire or dam, the dog should be at least 2-YO, & negative for Brucella .

8. tinaa

tinaa PetForums Newbie

I believe there is a need to test before breeding with the following:

Hip and elbow scoring

eye testing carried out annually

9. leashedForLife

that's fine - but that's NOT what the thread is about; this is breed-specific recommended tests,
    which in Akitas & Siberians would include thyroid-panels at approx $85 to $100-usa, plus vWD for Akitas.

every breed has highly-specific potential heritable problems, & every breeder needs to know what they
    should & must test every prospective sire & dam for, so that they KNOW what the dogs are clear of,
    what they carry as recessives, & what they have as hidden asymptomatic problems - like UAP.

hip & elbow rads, plus a CERF-certificate annually, are nice... but that doesn't even include a Brucella test,
    to ensure that neither dog carries a nasty STD-critter that can cause miscarriage, still births,
    permanent sterility, & a chronic come-&-go weakening febrile illness that makes U hallucinate -
    Brucella is a zoonosis, humans can catch it; so can cattle, as well as dogs.

10. kalindra

kalindra PetForums Junior

German Shepherds:
    Hip & elbow score (x-ray)
    Haemophilia (males)
    CDRM

Those are the more common ones.

11. ronnypaston

ronnypaston PetForums Newbie

It is really very important to have several test before breeding and here are they that I would recommend: Hips and Elbows test, Eye test, Heart Test and Brucellosis Test. These tests are enough to know whether the dog is free of genetic problems or not.

12. russelgrane

russelgrane PetForums Newbie

I will recommend you to go for hip and elbow scoring, eye testing, DNA PLL, DNA test for L2 hga, DNA test for hc and NCL screening. This tests will help you out a lot to choose perfect pup.

13. leashedForLife

This thread is about screens / tests BEFORE BREEDING -
    not testing individual pups, but potential sires & dams. :mad: Please read the topic before posting?
    thanks.

14. leashedForLife

regular health check-ups are fine - but they are given to EVERY dog, desexed or intact.

this thread is about screening before any intact dog is actually bred, & it's breed-specific tests,
    not just the generic tests every dog & bitch must pass before breeding, such as the Brucella STD-test.
    :)

15. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

I noticed the leonberger has to have a lot of tests done before breeding also. We asked at our vets and only part of the tests were £600, well we can't afford that so Ozzy will have to just do with our company at the moment!!

Found this:
    " The following tests are to our mind absolutely necessary:

HD and ED-Xray as well as T3-T4-blood tests to make sure the thyroid gland is functioning as it should.

The following tests would be ideal:

HD-ED-Xrays, T3-T4-Test (possibly a complete blood examination), testing the heart (ultrasonic or Xray) as well as eye tests (for entropion, ectropion, cataract) and a possible examination of the nervous system (proper function of all nervous reflexes). "

And the leonberger club of great britain says:

"16) Dogs & Bitches should be micro chipped or tattooed before any of the tests in 17, 18 and 21 take place and these numbers record on all paperwork relating to these tests.

17) I will ensure that, under the K.C/B.V.A. scheme, the hip of both the sire and dam shall not exceed the total of 25 or shall not be higher that 15 on one side. The scores will be known before mating takes place.

18) All dogs must have their elbows x-rayed and scored before they are mated. Dogs/Bitches not to be bred from an elbow score of more than 1 and even then, preferable to a score of 0.

19) A stud dog owner will satisfy him or herself as to the suitability of the bitch's breeding and the conditions under which the litter would be reared and they will acknowledge their own responsibility for the resultant litter.

20) All stud dogs should be scored under the K.C/B.V.A. scheme before being used at a minimum age of 18 months. It is hoped that all health certificates that have not been published in the BRS to be forwarded to the Club for all litters if requested.

21) (i) Before mating takes place I will ensure that both the sire and dam have current valid eye certificates, within the last 12 months, clear of hereditary eye disease under the K.C/B.V.A. scheme. (Including those under investigation under schedule 1). (ii) If a foreign dog is used at stud it must meet the breeding requirements of the country where it resides and this must include hip scoring and eye testing. If a dog is imported it must then meet all of our Code of Ethics requirements before being bred with. "

16. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

GSDs

I know its already on but the essentials are

Hip Scoring well bellow BMS with less than 4 points difference between L & R
    Elbow Scoring - should be 0
    Haemophillia clear for males

Eye testing yearly for HC if English lines

some breeders do the following

Heart Testing
    PD testing unless both parents genetically clear
    DM testing
    AF testing

17. Pudding

Pudding PetForums Member

I am looking for an English cocker ..... what should the mum and dad have been tested for

18. Kaida

Kaida PetForums Junior

Pudding, for cockers: at least one parent DNA tested clear (or clear by parentage) of FN (familial nephropathy, a nasty kidney disease) and PRA (progressive retinal atrophy, early-onset blindness), a BVA eye test for other eye conditions including a gonioscopy for glaucoma (v. painful problem), and hip scoring (breed average currently 14 I believe).

19. Anwen55

Anwen55 PetForums Newbie

Norwegian Buhund: Hip scoring (breed average currently around 14) annual testing for hereditary cataract

20. saimgee123

saimgee123 PetForums Newbie

American bulldog and English bulldog
    staffordshire bull terrier
    Rhodesian ridgeback

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice