Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neautering?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jobrian, Jan 5, 2008.

1. jobrian

jobrian PetForums Junior

Hello :)

I am lookin for advice on cat neautering.

Any advice grealy appreciated :)

2. may

may PetForums VIP

You should have both girls and boys neuter around 6 months :)

3. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Strongly agree. :)

4. How many cats have you got, and what are they - boys, girls?

5. jobrian

jobrian PetForums Junior

I have female and male cats and a kitten.

How do i find out more information on the procedure and cost?
    Any advice most appreciated :)

6. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

i just bought 2 new male kittens 1 is 12 weeks and the other is 10 weeks there abouts.
    it has just cost me £84 for injections and worm and flea treatment for both of them.
    its also cost me £64 for both to be neutered in 10 weeks.
    (thought id pay and book them both in early as the vet seems to get busy in springtime)

7. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

it costs more than £100 each cat around here is that expensive or normal?

8. Lintama

Lintama PetForums Junior

Neutering a female costs more than a male due to the fact that the operation on a female is internal and therefore is more tricky. It takes much longer too. I would think that the costs depend on where you live as the rates in London are obviously going to be higher. My vet in Suffolk is much cheaper than most and I believe he charges around £25 for a male and £35 for a female. That would be for a kitten. Adult neutering is usually more expensive. It is best to shop around for costs. I hope this helps.

9. jobrian

jobrian PetForums Junior

Hi :)

Many thanks for all your advice on this matter :)
    I will start to look into it....thanks again to you all :)

10. expencive, here about 40 -60

11. If you have both: boys and girls - it could be tricky as they wont ask for permission to mate; if they are related - it could be reflected on kittens health. What age are they? There is a lots of info on the Internet about Early feline neutering, you could try to Google it. But not every Vet would do early neuter on the cat which has an owner; you'll have to ask around. They do early neutering on ferals thought.

12. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I thought so too, perhaps if they lowered the cost a bit more people would do it and there would be less unwanted litters around:confused:

13. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Where I work it's £56 for a female and £40 for a male. Castration takes around 5-10 minutes if that - very quick and easy procedure with minimal risk to the cat. Ours don't even have gas, just a full anaesthetic injection. Spays normally take around 30 minutes and they have the same injection as the males but then gas on top, as obviously it is an internal procedure.

Different practices work in different ways though!

14. jobrian

jobrian PetForums Junior

Hi :)
    I guess I have a huge expense then ....got many cats :)

15. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

If you haven't chosen a vet already,get 2/3 quotes or as many as you can as quickly as you can and make an informed decision. I know things like this always land when you really don't need them too(not that theirs ever a good time:rolleyes:) but your only other alternative is seperate everyone til you find the right vet for the job,and it's a 1 time op so jobs done then and you won't have that worry:)

16. Desertstorm

Desertstorm PetForums Member

Hi...I have a question....how long do most vets keep animals after neutering and spaying? I had a male 7 month old kitten neutered last Saturday. This vet neuters and spays while you wait and of course is much less expensive, as you take it right home....$80.00 for a male and $94.00 or so Cdn. for a female. My male was asleep after surgery, for over 12 hours...a female 12 - 24 hours. I find this very scary, especially for a female. He uses an injectable (needle) type of anthestic. Has anyone else had any experience with this type of anthestic and taking your pet straight home while still asleep?? Do you think this is risky? This kitten was a dsh but I have 3 fairly flat faced Himalayian male kittens yet to neutre and I am worried about the risk factor.

Attached Files:

17. Ask them if they can do a discount for multipet household.

18. Siamese Kelly

Maybe ask at your local CatsProtection JB, they will appreciate a multi-cat home and would help you i'm sure:) As for your question Desertstorm, Neutering and spaying for us at least well-our 2 boys at the time went in at 11.30 and were home by 4.00pm and were not as lively as per but were awake and drinking/eating,same with a friend of ours lady so not sure about that one. However if you yourself aren't 210% gut sure (at least) then maybe ask a few local vets what they think and how they would do this procedure, i mean i'd be concerned if my child went in for a "simple" op and was sent home pretty much immediately after-still asleep and stayed asleep til the next day, i know our vet wouldn't allow our cats home until he'd checked them over once they'd awoke and seen them have a drink so yep think your right to be worried-let us know how you get on please-and good luck:)

19. khadijah85

khadijah85 PetForums Junior

my lil boy is being neuterd today he is 6 months, im really nervous. i have took him to low cost clinic im paying £19 and its £25 for females which is good, you should try google and find a low cost clinc near you.

20. Siamese Kelly

Hi Khadijah:) Aah bless his soon to be extinct pips:pHow are you getting on with your 2 cats in general? Bet your enjoying bonding with them and having fun and i'll bet they have you wrapped round their little paws:D:DOh nearly forgot-did you look into showing or have you put it on hold for now?:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice