Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

nearly got another dog - damn, it went wrong

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blitz, May 6, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

There was a jack a doodle in the local paper, 8 month bitch. I phoned about it and it was someone I knew so she brought the pup to visit. She was a lovely, obedient and fun little dog. Candy started off trying to play with her then they had a little scrap and then it went from bad to worse with Candy as the main instigator but both dogs going at each other. The owner wasnt prepared to let them spend time getting used to each other so took her away - I feel quite sad cos I think she would have fitted in very well.

2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Oh shame. How about suggesting you meet up again on neutral territory this time?

3. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i woudnt have done that tbh..... a pup yes - 8 months no..

neutral territory - let them play - then take the dog home if htey get on ok..

just my opinion,

4. Colliepoodle

Maybe go somewhere neutral, keep them onlead and at a bit of a distance for a while, walking in the same direction, let them "pack up" a bit, then let them off and let them play and see how it goes.

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Text book does say neutral territory but usually fosters come straight into mine. You'll find out one way or the other if they'll get along so might as well make it sooner rather than later! Shame it didn't work out, I can understand the owner not wanting to risk it but I'm sure it could have been sorted if the dogs were left to their own devices, usually it's us humans interferring that makes more problems.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I agree but that is what she wanted to do. She also has someone coming to look at the dog tomorrow who had phoned before me. I am disappointed and they should have just played together but Megan didnt seem very keen on playing and then Candy got cross.
    I have suggested that if the other person doesnt seem suitable that we try again but tbh it is such a sweet dog I am sure anyone would want her.

We have had two groups of dogs in the house in the last week and in both cases Candy has been a bit sharp with the bitches and fine with the dogs. I really dont like dogs so would much rather have a bitch - not sure what to do now.

7. Colliepoodle

Bitch fights ARE more common, and often nastier AND they tend to bear grudges so yeah, thinking about it like JSR says, probably for the best.

8. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i agree

i had 2 bitches and adog at one point - the bitches were evil with each other - bitch/dog are fine.....

I would personally get a dog with a bitch - i know people will disagree.

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That's a shame. I second maybe getting a dog to go with Candy but that little girl sounds perfect apart from that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice